Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Old Fart Ford Guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 AM
pchighboy75
Freshman User
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Old Fart Ford Guy

I posted up an intro in the main forum, but Fomoko1 suggested I bee-bop over here and do the same...... so here it is.

<!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--> Hi all,
Been a forum member for a while, never took the time to post (just did some browsing).
I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest USA, and have been a devout Ford freak all my life (I'm now 54). I spent my youth and teens in the Seattle area, but now reside on the other side of the mountains (Otis Orchards). I see a few WAFTE and IDFTE Chapter members from my neck of the woods .

I'm still involved with street cars and the occasional "quarter-pounder", dirt bikes (CR500's), quads, and water skiing.

My current rides are:

1975 F250 4x4 Pacific Coast Highboy Longbox ("Old Brown")
- Have owned this truck for 32+ years
- Explorer Custom Pkg. Std Cab
- Built '66 390GT motor from one of my old '66 Fairlane GT quarter-milers
- Factory C6
- All original w/ 160K miles except for motor (2K miles)
- 35" BFG AT's.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

1977 F100 Shortbox 4x2 ("Shorty")
- 1970 351W (awaiting rebuild, and hopefully single or twin turbo)
- Small Block C6
- Shorty Headers, intake, carb, etc.
- This is a project for a Crown Vic front suspension and 8.8 rear independent in tubs
- Dropped and 20's all around.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

2004 F350 Longbox Crewcab Lariat 4x4 ("Stretch")
- 6.0L PS Diesel
- Pulls the 35' 5th-wheel and toy trailers.<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

2001 Explorer XLT AWD 4.0L (commuter car)

I look forward to getting a little more involved - thanks for the wealth of knowledge here!!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Those are some nice looking trucks you've got. I love that Hiboy. Hope to hear more from you

Jameson

Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM
pchighboy75
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jgavac
Welcome to the club! Those are some nice looking trucks you've got. I love that Hiboy. Hope to hear more from you
Jameson
Thanks jgavac. I grew up on the south end and eventually moved to the Spokane area. But my best buddy moved north to Kayak Point - he lives just across Port Susan from you. We usually visit a couple times a year.

I look forward to getting involved here. My 04 Super-Duty is starting to see some of the inherent problems, so I've been tapping into the boards here for the wealth of knowledge. I have several items to address, and this forum is the bomb!! I'm hoping to get to know the WA Chapter members over time.

Have a great New Year.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, nice to meet you. That's one heck of an entrance post, wish I would have done something like that when I joined. Anywho you got some nice rides there, I am in between Tacoma and Seattle in a little town called Algona. Nice little place with some friendly people there. Some day when you are west of the mountains we should plan a meet, we have monthly meets around the area and usually have a thread about it. The one for this month is going to be in Kirkland on the 19th. Let us know next time you plan to come over this way and we will see what we can do. Anyways, nice to meet you.

Also we have a member map on the WAFTE forum page that you can put a pin for your area on a map. It also shows the other members who have placed a pin.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM
pchighboy75
Freshman User
Thanks for the welcome. I know right where you live. I grew up in Normandy Park, just Northwest of you (SeaTac area). That was back when you could ride your dirtbike all over the place without getting hassled too much. I grew up kind of a "wild kid". Got into my share of trouble. Was in to fast cars, dirt bikes, racing karts, etc. The local cops had me pretty well on their radar wherever I went, but had a knack of outrunning them , until I got back home to have a "talk" with one of them. Now I'm a young 54, and still try to cause trouble once in a while, just a little more diplomatically.

I used to ride my dirt bikes quite often down your way (Kent and Auburn valley). There were many places to spend an entire day on trails, now all gone of coarse. We also used to be able to ride almost completely around the SeaTac airport without anyone saying a word. Most of the security patrols were used to seeing us outside the fence most of the time. Can't do that nowadays.

I have 4 boys, 2 are (or had been) into the import tuner thing, so I've expanded my knowledge base to include turbo cars and lots of on-board electronics/fueling. We've built some pretty impressive machines over the last few years. The boys now want to start building "old-school" stuff, which I'm excited about..... hence the old shortbox dentside project.

We're planning a spring trip for a Mariners game. I'd like to get down south while I'm over there. Will post up when it gets closer.

Nice to meet you - thanks for chiming in. Look forward to more.......

Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I see, I'm only 20 now so there was a lot of restrictions when I was younger. We still got ourselves into trouble but it was only small trespassing things where the cops just told us to leave. We never had the means to play with too much motorized stuff, but we were big into our BMX bikes. Making ramps out of whatever we could find around the house.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Ok I'll name names
SIR : Has a new name
Spanaway Speedway : Gone to housing

Sean

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Hey there PC welcome to FTE. Ive been a member here for sometime but like you I just surfed and lurked for quite some time. You can usually find me up in the 61-66 or 67-72 forums. I have to two project trucks going in the projects forum. If you get out to some of the local car shows and swap meets chances are we can put eyeballs on each other. Nice looking trucks you have there. Happy new year guy see you out there.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 AM
pchighboy75
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Ok I'll name names
SIR : Has a new name
Spanaway Speedway : Gone to housing
Sean, yep.....,
....... and yep.

Me, from 1970's, but does the locale in the first pic look familiar? (It has a new name).

This is an area that not many "Sounders" will remember (Renton Tank Tracks)

Alot has changed over there. I just visit now .

Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 AM
pchighboy75
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Hey there PC welcome to FTE. Ive been a member here for sometime but like you I just surfed and lurked for quite some time. You can usually find me up in the 61-66 or 67-72 forums. I have to two project trucks going in the projects forum. If you get out to some of the local car shows and swap meets chances are we can put eyeballs on each other. Nice looking trucks you have there. Happy new year guy see you out there.
Thanks Vic. We're bound to cross paths.... chances are, we already have. Your 63 is beautiful!!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I figured I'd chime in since I'm seeing a couple folks in my neck of the woods.......welcome aboard, PChighboy!

Your '75's colors kind of remind me of that free-wheelin paint package that Ford offered back around then. There's a guy that used to live down on the corner of Alberta and Francis that had an old paint scheme that looked like one of those.

Your '77 would have benefitted big time from the 351W that I built a few years ago, but I unloaded it at a yard sale I had before I moved over here. I put together the plant with GT-40 EFI intake and aluminum GT-40 heads, roller retrofit, double roller chain, E-cam, and right around 8.8:1 compression, as I was looking to add a supercharger to the mix as well. I was building it for an 87 Lincoln Mark VII that I had, but I lost steam on that project. So, I sold the plant with not one mile on it....bummer. I still have a couple go-fast parts for a 351W, but they're for the newer EFI plants......like a mass air setup for 22lb injectors with EEC-IV computer. I think I also have a new Ford blue Powermaster alternator with one-wire kit sitting on a shelf somewhere too that'll bolt up. Might be a few other odds and ends like the new 8.8" rear I have from Ford Racing too.........if you end up needing any parts, let me know.....I might have something floating around.

I also have leftovers for the 73-79 dentsides too, as I kind of overdid it when I was buying parts for Buford. I've got new black carpet for our trucks that will fit a supercab, but can be cut down for standard cab. I've also got a power lock kit, power window kit, some standard cab trim, some styleside trim, and a bunch of other odds and ends. If you need anything, let me know....I might have it.

I'm sure we'll run into each other from time to time as I'm finally going to be able to make the rounds at the car shows around here with Buford this year. I also need to make a run to the drive-in theater up in Colville this summer before they close down forever. This will be their last season, and I'm going to go there in the truck at least once before it's over. Anyway, again, welcome!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM
pchighboy75
Freshman User
Thanks for the welcome Behemoth. Your Buford is absolutely awesome . I cruised over to your pics, and viewed all that you have there. Man, what a build!!

I'll probably never get to that stage with my Old Brown, but hey, maybe one of my boys will once I'm gone.

Old Brown is all original except the mill. The paint you mentioned is just that..... the original "Explorer" package, which is kind of reminiscent of the "Boss" stripes. To my knowledge, there have only been 3 or 4 trucks in the Inland Empire originally ordered with that paint/decal scheme. I've checked with the old "Empire Ford" guys (then "Center Ford"), Gus (then "McCullom"), and Wendle. They showed just the 3-4 in their data records. That was one thing that caught my eye back when I was deciding on buying it. Old Brown was originally ordered from the then Center Ford.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post12761246

There's a twin to mine out here on Trent for sale with a Meyers plow, but she's all cancer'd up and pretty beat.

I'm an old Mustang fan. Had a '67 GTA fastback in High School. Eventually pulled the 390/C6 and dropped in a '70 Boss 302 and Super T-10 / V-gate.
Yeah, let's keep in touch, and maybe hook up for one of the local shows. I frequent the shows that Andy puts on with his Mustangs. My neighbor helps build Andy's cars, so I see many of his projects come and go.

Keep bleeding Blue!!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Behemoth
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the thumbs up on Buford......he's been an exercise in what no wife, enough income, a moderate case of obsessive/compulsive disorder, and basically being a screwball can come up with if given enough time.

You started rattling off all those old Ford dealers, and apparently I'm starting to be "older" now as I remember them from when I was a kid.

It's funny you mentioned Andy's......I called them about a week ago, asking about disc brake conversion possibilities for my new project (they haven't gotten back to me yet, but I'm not in a big hurry). I'm still waiting for the INCCC calendar to come out so i can try to figure out what shows I might try to make it to this year. I'm guessing it'll be a few more weeks before we see them.

I didn't always bleed Ford blue.......I try to consider myself a fan of all makes (well, unless the make produced crap from day one......."Yugo" comes to mind). When I was younger, I had a lot of GM stuff......'78 Camaro, '68 Camaro, '73 Pontiac Ventura, and even my first car was a '67 Oldsmobile F-85 (which I miss terribly......it actually was grandma's car with 26k miles on it). I've had imports too.....'79 Celica, '78 Celica, 2 '69 Corollas, and a couple '67 VW fastbacks too. I'm sure I haven't listed them all, but the majority of the rest has been some sort of Ford product. Currently, my new project is not quite 'blue', but rather a bit of orange......it's a '65 Mercury Montclair Marauder 2-door fastback. It'll take me a couple years to get that one put together, but I don't want to do an 'over the top' build like Buford. I just want to build it into a clean, capable cruiser that I don't have to crawl under to wipe down every time I drive it.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for your rigs this summer.....my eye always tends to catch a dentside when it passes by.