Exterior Temp Reading - gone blank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Exterior Temp Reading - gone blank?

Hi Fellas,

My outside temperature reading on my '05 (6.0 PSD EB) Ex has recently gone black..no reading.
I haven't noticed any other issues, just no outside temp readings...

Do these sensors go bad or ?

Is it a big deal to change them out?

I was told it should be located just to the side of left hand (drivers side) headlight behind the grill, a small black cube (approx. 1 inch square) with three wires coming out of it. However, I'm not finding it there.

Where is the temp sensor located?

Is there a fuse covering this sensor?
Thanks in advance for any & all help and/or advice, Guys!
BarnieTrk

Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Hmmm... on my 99 F250, it was a resistor in the display that was the problem... might want to look there also.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So the inside temp adjustment/fan speed, etc. will show on the screen still?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Duh,,, I forgot the Ex's have it on the dash,,, haven't driven the wife's in a while!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
So the inside temp adjustment/fan speed, etc. will show on the screen still?
Yep, all the rest of the normal screen display information is still there....
... which is why I was leaning towards the outside sensor unit being faulty...if I could locate it....

BarnieTrk

Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Turfzilla
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sensor is behind the grill mounted on the drivers side header/grill and headlight mount.

Did you lose the entire readout or just the temp readout?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Turfzilla
The sensor is behind the grill mounted on the drivers side header/grill and headlight mount.

Did you lose the entire readout or just the temp readout?
What do I have to do to get to it - remove the grill or remove the headlight assembly?

I have only lost the outside temp readout... Any fix ideas?

BarnieTrk

Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
What do I have to do to get to it - remove the grill or remove the headlight assembly?

I have only lost the outside temp readout... Any fix ideas?

BarnieTrk
Just remove the grill.

To remove the grill, since you have an '05: With the hood open, remove the little (I think) 5.5 mm screws that hold the top of the grill on. It should wiggle out a little on top.

On the bottom of the grill, there are four metal snap tabs. Get a flat blade screwdriver, put it between the bumper and grill, and lift up on the bottom lip of that tab. You kinda have to lift them up and pull on the grill- wiggle it out. Start at one end and work over. Eventually they'll all be free and you can pull the grill out.

FYI- the older grills are held on the same way, but they use larger phillips screws instead of the little bolt heads.

IIRC, the temp sensor is just pushed in with the little plastic Christmas tree clips.

Here's a pic of it:

The pic I actually googled for and is for the Zoodad mod. Drilling/cutting out the material in the pic helps to give a more direct flow of air into the intake on all Excursion/SD engines. The pic is pre-cutting.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan

IIRC, the temp sensor is just pushed in with the little plastic Christmas tree clips.

Here's a pic of it:

The pic I actually googled for and is for the Zoodad mod. Drilling/cutting out the material in the pic helps to give a more direct flow of air into the intake on all Excursion/SD engines. The pic is pre-cutting.
Thanks for the reply, Sunline Fan!

Now there are two different looking parts listed at: RockAuto Parts Catalog ) under the category of: 2005 FORD EXCURSION 6.0L V8 DIESEL Turbocharged OHV : Heat & Air Conditioning : Ambient Air Temperature Sensor...., but - when I look through the grill with the aid of a flashlight, I can see neither style of sensor or anything located on that LH filler panel left of the radiator with a wire plugging into it. Where does the sensor wiring go back to...the headlight harness? Maybe I can trace the wire from ??? to the sensor.....

For what it's worth, I do know that this '05 Ex was in an accident (deer collision - previous owner, 3-4 years ago ) so maybe the sensor was re-located???? Wherever it is, it was working fine up until about a month ago.....

BarnieTrk

Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
I looked back at all my tear-down pics, and unfortunately I don't have anything from that area. I go from complete front end to nothing but radiators left.

I just zoomed in on a pic and found the sensor. The harness goes down along the bottom of the header panel. Actually, it might be behind the header and clipped to the metal behind it. So it would be behind the turn signal part of the left headlight. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the headlight harness- it's completely separate. It goes into the engine compartment behind that headlight area almost to the left fender. It looks like the harness would lay on the inside of the fender liner plastic.

Front with header panel removed, but core supports still there:

The best first step would probably be to remove your left battery/tray and see if you find that harness that isn't going to the headlight. Unfortunately, it's a black harness like all the rest.

Granted it's a 7.3, but you can see the sensor hanging in the bottom right here:

Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Thanks for all your efforts, Jon!
Looks like locating this sensor will be a weekend 'seek & search' task for me!
I'll report back with what I determine............
BarnieTrk

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Sounds good, good luck in your search!

I sold the fog lights from the wreck to a member on here whose bumper and grill were replaced with Super Duty parts. His Ex originally came with fog lights, yet they were missing. We traced the foglight harness from the point where it plugged in back in the engine compartment, but it suddenly took a turn that mine didn't and we couldn't trace it. So we just unplugged the harness at the plug in and I sold him the harness I had since I didn't think I'd need it. It worked great then!