Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Remote Start System-100 series plug n play

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start System-100 series plug n play

2011 Edge 3230 miles.

I have ordered (BC3Z-19G364-A) Remote Start kit and was quoted a very cheap install price on the web through the dealer who sold us the car. The web quote was 95 bucks cheaper, in fact, than the service department quoted over the phone. Since it was the official Ford site who quoted through them, the service manager agreed to honor the online deal.

Any way, I also ordered the Hood switch kit for the system. The switch disables the remote start for safety while the hood is up. I can see the dealer trying to pull a fast one with the switch replacement. For all I know the car may be already equipped with it.

Anybody familiar with this installation? I'm OK with the dealer doing the plug-n-play install and the requisite programming. No way I'm paying for them to put in the hood switch.

http://accessories.ford.com/remote-s...-play-kit.html

http://accessories.ford.com/remote-s...witch-kit.html

Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
I had the kit installed today. No issues with dealer whatsoever.

This is a relatively new accessory according to the service tech. With the "plug n play" install, a Service Department no longer has to outsource labor as was the case with the older "splice in" remote starter system. I was told to discard the factory ignition keys. Although they will still operate, their use will cancel the reprogramming for the new remote system.

This basic, one direction system works nicely. There is no additional fob. The range appears to be good.

I'll update thread with performance.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
Remote start works great. There is a short use-learning period, though. The "door lock" button on the key has to be pressed once, then the "engine start" button on the key has to be pressed twice - a pretty deliberate process for security and unwanted start prevention. Kind of a PIA in my opinion, although I admit I am spoiled by the RS on my '04 E350 that only requires a single press (and short hold) of a fob button for activation.

The "one direction" feature of this system means that there is no indicator light on the key to tell you that the car has started. You need a line of sight to the vehicle to watch the tail lights flash if you want confirmation that the car has started. A "two direction" system has the indicator light on the key that tells you that the remote start was successful. For my intended use, the additional expense of the two direction feature was not justifiable.

I had the system installed with the hood switch included and key re-programming for $303. Before I did any shopping I figured that the cost would be around $500 for an after market remote start. I am very satisfied with the price and performance of this OEM system.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 AM
merlynr
Posting Guru
That seems like a good price for the dealer item. There is a learning curve for the remote start system as my wife uses it all the time in this cold weather. When I go to use it which is not very offten, I have to think about it or ask her. Her process is just point it out the window and click. This is a feature that came on our 07 Edge that I probably wouldn't have ordered,but it is cool. Guess I'm getting soft in old age.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 PM
catcha
New User
Intallation Instructions for Remote Starter

I thought I would share this. It is for the remote access system, but part of that actually involves installing this remote starter. It has the F-150's in there as well as all other Ford "Trucks".

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/fo...k3-15-2013.pdf

Old 03-28-2014, 04:36 PM
BAD RONALD
Tuned
A good read. Thanks for taking the time to post this.