Trying to Gain Knowledge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php

Check out the link I posted above.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the one. Good job. Don't get too hung up on using stainless tubing. Gets hard to find sometimes, I used steel brake tubing and brass compression fittings. Also a couple of current threads on the forum, good reading.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 PM
jwhopson
Tuned

Evilink*,
I just finished doing this, me and another FTE fella.

It's much easier than you think, the instructions from the link above are great. I would add a few notes below.

First my truck is an F350 2000 7.3

I was nervous to disconnect the fuel lines and electrical connector but you can almost completely drop the tank to the ground before having to do this - actually if you keep it about 14" off the ground those conenctors are easier to get to. I had a little trouble disconnecting the two tubes that connect to the gas cap area - but there are three gates clamps - its easier if you loosen up all three.

Be sure to buy the correct 10' tubing, diesel and fuel pressure rated. I asked for tubing, he sold me the wrong stuff, and just by chance, just before I raised my tank I called Napa and the guys said, sorry we sold you the wrong stuff. It would have collapsed had I used it.

An FTE member said to fill the tubes with sand before you bend them, good idea - I didn't, but it would have been easier to fill with something so I wasn't so nervous to bend them. I found stainless at local farm store (wilco), otherwise like they said, other tubing will work.

I just used WIX inline filters - they seem to do the job. Don't forget to do the harpoon mod - I went and purchased PVC cutters and it worked surprisingly well.

Take your time lowering the tank - TUGLY can do it in like 15 minutes, it took me almost 2 hrs. My first time, so I was very careful and nervous and used cribbing to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

Once the tank is down, siphon the rest of the fuel out, it will make putting it back up easier. Some guys talk about doing a tank rinse - I didn't because I didn't know how - I just used a terry cloth towel and wiped it down inside to get all the little debris.

Other than that, it was much easier than I expected, my confidence was the only thing hindering me. I have a great deal of respect for FTE members, I would ask a question, instantly an answer - it was almost as if they were in my shop with me. It really helps knowing you have FTE in your pocket when needed.

Good luck and don't let it overwhelm you, its not nearly as involved as it looks.

This was the thread we were using just today in fact.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ication-3.html

Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
is there a good way to bend the pipe if and when I find it. when I get to that point of this mod.

or will I have to buy the bender for a one time job?

I am also curious about the tank wash, I have a van and its metal. adn after doing my fuel bowl. I will be doing something with my tank for sure.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
15 minutes on the 3rd and 4th drops... much longer on the first drop. You can reach the vent tube in back just in front of the driver-rear tire. Shine a light in there and you'll see it. The other vent tube is forward of center of the tank. A mirror and light will show you where it is, there's enough room to reach it before dropping the tank. I dropped the tank without disconnecting the sender wire and fuel lines until the tank was down... plenty of length on those. The fill and fill vent hoses are trickier to manage while dropping.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MTDewX
is there a good way to bend the pipe if and when I find it. when I get to that point of this mod.

or will I have to buy the bender for a one time job?

I am also curious about the tank wash, I have a van and its metal. adn after doing my fuel bowl. I will be doing something with my tank for sure.
You might be able to get away without the fancy bend job. What you are trying to do is re direct the return flow away from the pick up area, and avoid hitting the sending unit. The tank? Just depends on how bad it looks inside.