1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help me with my wiring thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimG1098
Where dis you purchase these items or from what source are they

Thanks

jimG
I think I ordered both of them from Amazon. The Blue Sea fusebox was a little pricey but I really liked that one for under the hood. You might be able to find a better price if you shop around.

Blue Sea Systems 5028 ST Blade Fuse Block with Cover Blue Sea Systems 5028 ST Blade Fuse Block with Cover

ATC/ATO 6 Position Blade Fuse Block ATC/ATO 6 Position Blade Fuse Block

-DV

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, this is turning out to be a really good thread on wiring.
At least for me! I love it! Keep it coming! I feel so inadequate after reading your posts.
Eric I love your contribution. especially because you are in a position of knowing what not to do and what to do to correct the problem. I am glad there was not any major damage with your wiring dilemma.
Hopefully this will help many people out there.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you Dooraville

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Doraville
Senior User
I'm surprised nobody made a wise crack about the "Fish Finder" circuit on that photo I posted. You guys are slacking.

-DV

Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Doraville
I'm surprised nobody made a wise crack about the "Fish Finder" circuit on that photo I posted. You guys are slacking.

-DV
LOL I did see that! Not enough coffee yet....

Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Doraville

-DV
Oh I saw it but I just thought that you were using your truck to fish on Lake Lanier Or did you finally get some water in that puddle?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Prob. not what you are looking for but I for instance did want quick disconnects everywhere I could, I have one for the cab ( not that I EVER plan to remove the cab ) one for the engine wiring harness, one for the headlamp harness and another for the tail-lamp harness.

I dont like spending money I dont have or dont want too so I like to use my head and in doing this I went to mt favorite place in the whole wide world ( besides Disneyland ) and that would be the junkyard.

Just for example, hard to believe but the tail-lamp harness for a ( approx give or take ) 98 F-150 end to end is the perfect length for my truck which is prob. alot longer than yours, I bought a whole new harness but I feel its neater to cut the wire just under the cowl, splice in the 96 F-150 harness and instant tailights....not only tailights but instant harness for the trailer lights as well if you find a truck that has that separate little harness deal.

This harness worked out well for me because it has ( approx ) 18 wires within its connector so I was able to do the tailights, sidelights, 2 spd rear motor, cab overhead lights ect ect.

Instead of clipping what I dont use I wrap up into a little bundle cause who knows what I may think of next to add to the truck!

Same for the front of the vehicle, I found a harness with similar gauge wire and spliced it in, instant ( almost ) quick disconnect, looks factory once you put the plastic wire loom cover over it and it will last a lifetime.

Hope this helps.......

Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Hey 1930 Dodge

What does a junk yard get for a harness like that

JimG 1098

Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Dingo67
Junior User
Just spent 5 hours going through and trying to makes sense of the mess under my dash. Will post picks later so you can see what not to do. Who ever did this should be institutionalized. It's going to take me atleast a week or two to make it right and will post pics of what I think it should look like and you can judge for your self. As for now it's sunny and 80 so time to get in the wind to blow the headache.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dingo67
Just spent 5 hours going through and trying to makes sense of the mess under my dash. Will post picks later so you can see what not to do. Who ever did this should be institutionalized. It's going to take me atleast a week or two to make it right and will post pics of what I think it should look like and you can judge for your self. As for now it's sunny and 80 so time to get in the wind to blow the headache.
Yep, that's pretty much what happened to me. Once I got in there and saw what I had I realized that it needed to be redone. I don't know about the F100's, but there is really not much space at all underneath the dash of F1's and it takes some careful planning to make it neat.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Originally Posted by petemcl
Oh I saw it but I just thought that you were using your truck to fish on Lake Lanier Or did you finally get some water in that puddle?
Took a minute to sink in. Doraville is indeed a Georgia town near Lake Lanier. It is also the name of a song about a town in Georgia near Lake Lanier (from which my screen name came).

Ironically, Doraville was also the site of the now defunct General Motors plant. The Ford plant was in Hapeville and it's closed now too. Times is hard!

-DV

Old 12-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 1930 Dodge
Prob. not what you are looking for but I for instance did want quick disconnects everywhere I could, I have one for the cab ( not that I EVER plan to remove the cab ) one for the engine wiring harness, one for the headlamp harness and another for the tail-lamp harness.

I dont like spending money I dont have or dont want too so I like to use my head and in doing this I went to mt favorite place in the whole wide world ( besides Disneyland ) and that would be the junkyard.

Just for example, hard to believe but the tail-lamp harness for a ( approx give or take ) 98 F-150 end to end is the perfect length for my truck which is prob. alot longer than yours, I bought a whole new harness but I feel its neater to cut the wire just under the cowl, splice in the 96 F-150 harness and instant tailights....not only tailights but instant harness for the trailer lights as well if you find a truck that has that separate little harness deal.

This harness worked out well for me because it has ( approx ) 18 wires within its connector so I was able to do the tailights, sidelights, 2 spd rear motor, cab overhead lights ect ect.

Instead of clipping what I dont use I wrap up into a little bundle cause who knows what I may think of next to add to the truck!

Same for the front of the vehicle, I found a harness with similar gauge wire and spliced it in, instant ( almost ) quick disconnect, looks factory once you put the plastic wire loom cover over it and it will last a lifetime.

Hope this helps.......
If you were to read through my build thread and previous posts, I am all about using as much salvage yard material as possible. I don't have the money to open a catalog, nor do I have a credit card. But there are times when I get tired of spending all my time digging into salvage yard vehicles...trying to work in or around, a wasp infested cab upsidedown.
I am well known at two different yards...they are beginning to feel more like family...trust me...thats not a good thing...but I do get really good prices most of the time.

Hey 1930 Dodge

JimG 1098
I don't know what Jim gets away with, but in my case, most wiring stuff is garbage to those yards. Any wiring stuff I have ever got is usually free, but if the owner is around he will charge me $5 bucks...I gladly pay it, just to stay on the good side. They work there butts off and don't get a whole lot in return...the employees that is..The Owner is a good guy too, but he likes lunch money!

Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks

JimG

Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Hey 1930 Dodge

JimG 1098
I pay my two dollar entrance fee and they dont make me walk thru the metal detector on the way out

Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 PM
1930 Dodge
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
If you were to read through my build thread and previous posts, I am all about using as much salvage yard material as possible. I don't have the money to open a catalog, nor do I have a credit card. But there are times when I get tired of spending all my time digging into salvage yard vehicles...trying to work in or around, a wasp infested cab upsidedown.
I am well known at two different yards...they are beginning to feel more like family...trust me...thats not a good thing...but I do get really good prices most of the time.

I don't know what Jim gets away with, but in my case, most wiring stuff is garbage to those yards. Any wiring stuff I have ever got is usually free, but if the owner is around he will charge me $5 bucks...I gladly pay it, just to stay on the good side. They work there butts off and don't get a whole lot in return...the employees that is..The Owner is a good guy too, but he likes lunch money!
For me scrounging for parts is the best part. I hate to order anything from a catalog, just ordered that horn button, ok 18 dollar, no problem but then they have a 9.99 minimum shakedown for shipping charges.

Ill continue to not support the catalogs when possible

Quick Reply: Help me with my wiring thoughts