Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

09 Escape Acceleration Hesitation....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 AM
GRNMSTR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Escape Acceleration Hesitation....

I have a 09 Escape Limited with the 3.0L v6 and it only has 38K miles on it. The problem that I am having is that when accelerating either from a stop or when moving down the road the engine hesitates or just looses power. I have actually had the engine quit a few times when pulling onto a road admidst the intersection. I took it to the Ford Dealer and they said they drove it and did not feel the problem but they did re-flash the PCM. Needless to say it is still has the problem.

I have a 04 5.4L F150 that has a similar issue around 36K miles and it turned out being the Spark Plugs.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? I have changed fuel, ran octane boost and injector cleaner in hopes of correcting this problem with out any success.

Any information that you can share is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GRNMSTR
I have a 09 Escape Limited with the 3.0L v6 and it only has 38K miles on it. The problem that I am having is that when accelerating either from a stop or when moving down the road the engine hesitates or just looses power. I have actually had the engine quit a few times when pulling onto a road admidst the intersection. I took it to the Ford Dealer and they said they drove it and did not feel the problem but they did re-flash the PCM. Needless to say it is still has the problem.

I have a 04 5.4L F150 that has a similar issue around 36K miles and it turned out being the Spark Plugs.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? I have changed fuel, ran octane boost and injector cleaner in hopes of correcting this problem with out any success.

I almost got T-boned making a left hand turn because of a hesitation like you describe. Got the same song&dance from the dealer, called Ford CS, back&forth and finally a PCM reflash was done which fixed my problem. I have heard of one that was fixed by replacing the DBW unit on the throttle body.

I can't understand why dealers don't look at the manuals they have as they mention drivability problems that don't throw codes and are intermittent. Yet they say that it passed a test drive and shows no codes!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 PM
BlueOvalDude
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GRNMSTR

GRNMSTR,

Have you tried replacing the ignition coil assembly? I had a similar issue with hesitation upon acceleration with my old Escape and the culprit turned out to be the ignition coil. The dealer tried to charge me $125 for the part plus labour but I just ended buying the same OEM part for $65 at Ford Parts - Genuine OEM Ford Auto Parts at FordPartsGiant and did the job myself. It took me under an hour to perform and I concede that I'm not that proficient of a mechanic

Another possible cause of this acceleration hesitation could be from a dirty Idle Air Control Valve. You can clean the unit but if that doesn't resolve the issue then the replacement job takes a scant 20 minutes to do. Here's a concise write-up on how to replace the IACV on an Escape:

1) Locate the idle air control valve on your Escape. On 3.0L V-6 engines, the valve is located directly on top of the intake manifold, in the center of the engine bay. It is directly to the left of the air intake assembly. On 2.3L four-cylinder engines, it is mounted on the side of the intake manifold, behind a plastic cover.

2) Unhook the negative battery cable.

3) Remove the three screws from the plastic cover if your Escape has the four-cylinder engine. Move the cover out of the way.

4) Unhook the electrical connection attached to the idle air control valve by pressing the tab and pulling out.

5) Remove the two screws mounting the idle air control valve. Take the valve and its gasket off. The gasket can't be reused.

6) Mount the new idle air control valve and gasket. Tighten the screws and reattach the electrical connection.

7) Replace the plastic cover (2.3L four-cylinder models). Reconnect the negative battery cable.

Regardless of what happens to be the cause of your engine's stumbling, I hope that you get to the bottom of it soon

Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
A contaminated or dirty MAF can cause hesitation. It can also cause lean codes to be thrown ...
tom

Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They use a MAP not a MAF and I don't believe the '09s use a IAC either.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Jreodica
New User
My '08 Escape AWD hesitates as I accelerate through 50mph to 70mph... The hesitation stops completely when I hit approx 75mph... Seems I have to speed up to avoid the hesitations.

Normal street driving is mostly fine. It happens at highway speeds.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what it may be?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jreodica coil on plug pack starting to go.Is my guess.You may have a pending code so your CEL wont by lit.