Sponsored by:

Rotors & Power Steering Pump

Old 07-09-2015, 12:44 PM
joethepieguy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors & Power Steering Pump

Hello everyone,

So it seems my rotors are rusting (not sure how that happened because they were fine when I bought the vehicle in March)..what are some good rotors and pads that won't break the bank? Went to a Ford Tech that is a family friend and he noticed that my power steering pump and line had a very slight leak so I am going to need to replace those too. Should I just go with an OEM one or is there a better one out there?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 07-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Redhead steering box group buy is going on now.

For the rotors I have the Powerslot CRYO's and Hawk LTS pads. A little dusty but work great.

Also check out HAWK's new rotor.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:12 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your not having a problem with the pump , try to tighten the fitting (EASY does it) & a bottle of Luccus power steering stop leak for the pump. Sure worth a shot. The brakes on these things tend to suck & I've never heard anyone say they really did not like the $1500s worth of brakes they just installed I went with Auto Zone pads, rotors, & calipers. They seem to be working fine, & if I need new pads or calipers I'm on the EXchange plan now

PS: What do you mean by rusty ?? They all get rusty. Are you talking about the pad surface area ?? Is the trucking sitting a lot ?? Any rain lately ?? NORMAL/ NO problem if so..

Old 07-10-2015, 08:19 AM
BEARDOWN
Senior User
power stop cryo rotors FTW!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 AM
joethepieguy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
If your not having a problem with the pump , try to tighten the fitting (EASY does it) & a bottle of Luccus power steering stop leak for the pump. Sure worth a shot. The brakes on these things tend to suck & I've never heard anyone say they really did not like the $1500s worth of brakes they just installed I went with Auto Zone pads, rotors, & calipers. They seem to be working fine, & if I need new pads or calipers I'm on the EXchange plan now

PS: What do you mean by rusty ?? They all get rusty. Are you talking about the pad surface area ?? Is the trucking sitting a lot ?? Any rain lately ?? NORMAL/ NO problem if so..
Thanks for the response! The Ford Tech that I went too said that they were rusty/rusted which is the reason for the loud vibrations that I get when I brake, he said they were still usable, you just can't machine them since they are slotted. Do the Autozone ones work fine? Might take a look if I have too, can't break the bank on anything extremely nice at the moment!

Old 07-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Slotted rotors can be machined. It requires a bendix machine, and they do it on the vehicle.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:55 AM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had slotted/drilled rotors turned a number of times. Different places each time, and no problems.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:55 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by joethepieguy
Thanks for the response! The Ford Tech that I went too said that they were rusty/rusted which is the reason for the loud vibrations that I get when I brake, he said they were still usable, you just can't machine them since they are slotted. Do the Autozone ones work fine? Might take a look if I have too, can't break the bank on anything extremely nice at the moment!

I still don't really get the "rusty" issue. If turning them would correct it, then the rust is on the pad surface. If there is rust on the pad surface then the truck is not being driven enough so that they don't rust. NOT a big deal. Just drive it some & it will go away. Just MHO

Old 07-10-2015, 08:20 PM
joethepieguy
Freshman User

I still don't really get the "rusty" issue. If turning them would correct it, then the rust is on the pad surface. If there is rust on the pad surface then the truck is not being driven enough so that they don't rust. NOT a big deal. Just drive it some & it will go away. Just MHO

I'm not that great with all of the mechanical stuff but that is just what I was told, also I daily drive the Ex so I am not sure why its happening

Old 07-10-2015, 08:25 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Hey JOE : You should add your general lo-cal to your profile so we know your whereabouts

Old 07-10-2015, 08:42 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
It's kind of surprising that a family member would do this, but you're being upsold. If rotors need to be replaced due to rust, it's because the car's been sitting in a field for 20 years.

First lesson... don't buy important parts (anything electrical including alternator and starter), water pumps, brakes, or anything where quality matters from Autozone. You are better off going to Napa, but you're much better off shopping online. When it comes to these parts, there is a huge difference in quality and the cheap junk they sell at Autozone is just plain inferior. The guy above who bought pads, calipers and rotors all from Autozone doesn't know that he's going to be replacing those parts more often, and the likelihood of failure is higher with those inferior parts. Trust me, I have been there and done that with cheap parts and it's not worth my life or even the cost of my insurance deductible.

Second thing... you should know that 80% or more of a dealership's revenue comes from the service department. That should tell you something about why it's so expensive to get a vehicle serviced at a dealership. It's very common to sell people parts and services they don't strictly need at a dealership and this varies widely. Some are quite honest but most fall somewhere in between and some are downright crooked. Their technicians aren't any better trained in general than a local mechanic running his own business who only hires competent people. You are will be much better off in the long run if you ask around and find a good local mechanic who can do superior work to the dealership for the fraction of the price.

And I can guarantee you that when you do find one, you'll find that he isn't using any brake parts at all from Autozone and you should understand that there is a very good reason for that.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by andym
It's kind of surprising that a family member would do this, but you're being upsold. If rotors need to be replaced due to rust, it's because the car's been sitting in a field for 20 years.

First lesson... don't buy important parts (anything electrical including alternator and starter), water pumps, brakes, or anything where quality matters from Autozone. You are better off going to Napa, but you're much better off shopping online. When it comes to these parts, there is a huge difference in quality and the cheap junk they sell at Autozone is just plain inferior. The guy above who bought pads, calipers and rotors all from Autozone doesn't know that he's going to be replacing those parts more often, and the likelihood of failure is higher with those inferior parts. Trust me, I have been there and done that with cheap parts and it's not worth my life or even the cost of my insurance deductible.

Second thing... you should know that 80% or more of a dealership's revenue comes from the service department. That should tell you something about why it's so expensive to get a vehicle serviced at a dealership. It's very common to sell people parts and services they don't strictly need at a dealership and this varies widely. Some are quite honest but most fall somewhere in between and some are downright crooked. Their technicians aren't any better trained in general than a local mechanic running his own business who only hires competent people. You are will be much better off in the long run if you ask around and find a good local mechanic who can do superior work to the dealership for the fraction of the price.

And I can guarantee you that when you do find one, you'll find that he isn't using any brake parts at all from Autozone and you should understand that there is a very good reason for that.
I'm sorry, BUT I've been using AZ pads on over 11 auto/trucks for over 10 years. NEVER had a problem & NEVER used my deductible .
Unlike some, when I have to do the entire front end, brakes, springs, shocks, axel seals I HAS to have some kind of budget I can live with, $2000's worth of fancy painted STOCK calipers, ceramic pads, & slotted rotors aren't going to cut it. MY brakes & truck are A LOT BETTER than it they were & it stops just fine

Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by andym

"Went to a Ford Tech that is a family friend" QUOTE from OP

Old 07-12-2015, 07:18 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm sorry, BUT I've been using AZ pads on over 11 auto/trucks for over 10 years. NEVER had a problem & NEVER used my deductible .
Unlike some, when I have to do the entire front end, brakes, springs, shocks, axel seals I HAS to have some kind of budget I can live with, $2000's worth of fancy painted STOCK calipers, ceramic pads, & slotted rotors aren't going to cut it. MY brakes & truck are A LOT BETTER than it they were & it stops just fine
Great, now go look up "anecdotal evidence" in the dictionary and maybe you can see how it applies to this topic.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As stated already rusty rotors are no big deal unless the rust wont go away from the pad contact area after driving, or they are pitted, or the rust flakes are clogging the vanes (seen it). I have been very happy with the zinc plated powerstop rotors. They stay looking great for a good long while. I have them on my Excursion and the Wifes Mountaineer. The full kits were comparable in price to parts store rotors and pads at that.... I just put MAX brakes on my old Mountaineer (the kind you see on Ebay) and they are not plated at all. Rust showing in a week and thats in Texas. It happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotors & Power Steering Pump