Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric to mechanical fuel pump sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:13 PM
FoxBody91
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric to mechanical fuel pump sending unit

Hi guys. I am in the process of going through my 88-f350 dump truck from front to back. I completely rebuilt the 460, new clutch, all new brakes/drums/rotors, all new brake lines, u-joints, carrier bearing, etc.. I am getting rid of the aft axle tank and will be using only the midship tank. I am wanting to get rid of the electric pump and use an engine mounted mechanical with a new stainless braided fuel line from the tank to the pump. Is there an existing sending unit available without an electric pump that I can put into my tank, or will I need to modify my exising one?
Thanks in advance

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pumping you up... for the long haul...

I'm not sure why you would want to take these steps backward but the unit from an IDI diesel of this vintage would fill the role. You will also have to plug or cap off the lines to/from the rear tank. And, keep in mind that by deleting your rear tank you would be halving your truck's range. Are you sure you want to do that? Also, if your 460 is fuel injected a mechanical pump would not even be an option.

Another plus with these trucks, in my experience, is that with two fuel tanks in the event of a fuel pump failure you still have a back up to make it back to the garage!

dn.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 AM
FoxBody91
New User
I dont see it as a step backwards. I see it as a gigantic leap forward in terms of reliability. And yes, my truck was factory carbed and remains carbureted. I dont care about range as it is only used in town anyway. Thanks for the info on the diesel sender. I'll research it.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM
donnor
More Turbo
Viva la variety...

Then indeed go for it! One other thing did occur to me, though: Does the front cover on your 460 have the opening for a mechanical fuel pump? And, even if so, you will need to add the elliptical pump drive to the end of your camshaft that actuates the mechanical fuel pump. I suppose it may be possible that it was installed on there since, as you have noted, in 88 some 460s were still carb'd. If you've been through the engine you have probably already seen to this.

Since your truck was a factory carb does it have both the in-tank and frame rail mounted fuel pumps? Or, since it is carb'd, I might suspect that it has only the low pressure in tank pump?

Might I suggest a means to block off the fuel and return lines of your rear tank? Sections of the metal lines with their raised collars can be installed into the truck's lines after you have collapsed the opposite ends, folded them over, and either soldered or brazed the collapsed lumens to insure no leak back. Also remember to cap or plug the evaporative return line(s) of the rear tank. This would allow you to more easily return the truck to its original status at a later date.

That old debate about "reliability" as it relates to carb vs EFI will continue, but if that old truck has a carb - keep driving it! One thing is for sure: You can still work on it, it does not have a payment book, and your annual property tax bill for it is sure a LOT less than a new one! LONG LIVE OLD TRUCKS! And their owners & drivers, too!

dn.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
As far as you your fuel lines go just take them off the motor driven fuel tank selector valve and run the supply over to the tank that went to the engine. If they do not reach just splice in some rubber fuel hose with screw clamps on the hose. You may have to cut off the end to get the rubber hose on the fuel line. You will also have to remove the vapor "T" just in front of the carburetor that had the return fuel line on it.

My 1982 E350 460 had an engine driven fuel pump so you should be able to buy the fuel pick-up and sending unit for it and it should work OK for you.

That all said the reason for dropped engine driven fuel pump and going to the two in-tank pumps with the vapor fuel return line was to get ride of vapor lock.

So now you can enjoy the truck vapor locking a lot unless you live in AK.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 AM
FoxBody91
New User
I'm not sure if the thing on the frame has a pump in it or not. I never really looked at it that good. Its gone as well as every piece of original fuel line the truck had.

The timing cover on my engine does have a fuel pump boss and it had a block-off plate from the factory. It also had a real eccentric bolted to the camshaft. (not just an oil slinger like some efi engines have)

I'm going to run a -8 from the tank to the pump. I cant run the -8 until I get the engine set in and the headers on. I'm going to make sure the supply line is nowhere near any source of heat. I might even insulate the fuel lines. Between that and making sure the gas tank vent is free and clear, I hope to minimize my chances of vapor lock.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Truckin' along...

It looks like you will have a better than new truck when you finish! Post pics to encourage others that it can be done. As the man says in the TV show: "Don't crush 'em, restore 'em!"

dn.