1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Trucks in the shop for winter work

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordman67
I'm thinking I may do it myself glenn. And a new intake boot.my birthday is sat and I might just pull that trigger.hmm
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Aaron!

Darin and Todd, the way I did my up pipes with the flange welded to the pipe, it doesn't matter if the tops are grooved or not. The flange and the gasket material become the new seal, so nothing has to seal around the pipes anymore. You should be able to use the pipes you have.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Aaron!

Darin and Todd, the way I did my up pipes with the flange welded to the pipe, it doesn't matter if the tops are grooved or not. The flange and the gasket material become the new seal, so nothing has to seal around the pipes anymore. You should be able to use the pipes you have.
Yeah but I'm all about having a set I can screw up on...

Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tshrager
Yeah but I'm all about having a set I can screw up on...
.......I had an extra set when I did mine.......for that very reason! LOL!!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry Clay, but I'm not a fan of being told something I bought is junk. Especially when I've ran 3 of their gauges for 3 years with no problems. I do plenty of business with you, and don't think that was necessary. I can't afford the best of everything all the time. I know where my pyro normally runs and that is really the only VERY IMPORTANT gauge. Like I said I may get another one, FROM YOU, different brand just to compare. I'm just not real happy with your comment. JMO

Oh, and happy birthday Aaron!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Sorry Clay, but I'm not a fan of being told something I bought is junk. Especially when I've ran 3 of their gauges for 3 years with no problems. I do plenty of business with you, and don't think that was necessary. I can't afford the best of everything all the time. I know where my pyro normally runs and that is really the only VERY IMPORTANT gauge. Like I said I may get another one, FROM YOU, different brand just to compare. I'm just not real happy with your comment. JMO
Yeah, not to mention what that statement says (or at least implies) about the guys who do choose to sell them (Rosewood Diesel, among others), much less run them.

I know Jim runs them in his own truck and has nothing bad to say about them.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I PMed Darin last night about it. Clay, even though I have a wish list with you that I'm going to pull the trigger on soon, I didn't like it either.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late to the party!

And regarding Clay's comment. I think sometimes things are stated in a blunt and short manner just to illustrate a point without going into the details to fully explain it.

I am sure Clay didnt mean to insult or poke at anyone who runs them or sells them. He was simply trying to get across he likes the best quality products and only wants to sell what he thinks is the best.
I dont have much more to say about that topic except I have had my Glowshifts for little over a year and the EGT gauge is already being finicky(spelling?). I think they are a great setup for the price, but I certainly wouldnt call them 'top shelf' and would run Autometer if I could afford it (well I could... but I have other priorities).

And hope the build goes well! I love build threads too. There was one on TDS or PSN (cant remember) of a 74 CC. it was epic.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Guys, I didn't mean anything personal by it, but we get asked often why we don't sell a particular brand or product. We all like different parts and products, but as a company we have to choose what we think will have the least issues. Personally, I always try to choose a made in the USA product over something that is outsourced overseas, though this is getting pretty hard these days. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clay, I understand your position. Thanks for clearing it up. From a customer service point of view, it is a lot easier to carry a top notch quality product too as the customer gets a product that last a long time and they don't come back to you upset when they have issues. I guess my only thing is pretty much what Alex said. Everybody has a different budget and different priorities and some guys have to decide what to spend the few dollars they have on. It's a tossup on whether to buy the best and cry once, or to settle for something of slightly lesser quality and wince a little. I see both sides of the issue. Thanks for clarifying your statement.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
erased. Forgotten.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nevermind.. Good luck Darin on getting the mod list down a few notches.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Thanks Travis and Alex.

I'm sorry too guys if I came off wrong. I don't mean to offend anyone either, Clay included. I just got a little hot there and had to vent, maybe I shouldn't have, but I did. All is good.

I'm now thinking a 3 gauge bracket under the dash (I think Glenn has one of these in his first truck) and one on the steering column like Travis has for my remaining 4 guages.

Glenn, where did you get that bracket? I'd like to get a black one, not chrome.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
His looks like one of those brackets that you can get at most any parts store with the Sunpro gauges. Not to say he has a cheap bracket, but that's what it looks like. LOL

Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Thanks Travis, you're probably right. I never even thought of that. I'll do some looking around, I'm sure there are some choices.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I got this 15-20 years ago when I bought a Falcon, its a old auto meter.

I can't seem to find another simalar. I'm thinking about maybe this if it can be fitted to a OBS, auto meter gauge 15018

2000 FORD F 250 SUPER DUTY Auto Meter Under Dash Mounting Pods 15018 - SummitRacing.com

Better picture:

AutoMeter Under Dash Triple Mount #15018 - Gauge Mounts - Gauges

My plan right now is triple pillar pod with scan gauge, EGT and boost. Under dash the triple pod with water coolant temp, oil pressure and fuel pressure. I'm being like a women on this, changing my mind every two minutes, LOL

Quick Reply: Trucks in the shop for winter work