6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Considering buying or just bought a 6.4? Read...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredBadge
My brother (who does not have to worry about money) bought a 2010 F-250 in 2010. On a trip to Georgia the truck just died. He had around 35,000 miles on it. Had bought the largest insurance package Ford sales. They said that he had bad fuel and it was around $14,000.00 to fix the truck.

After he picked up the truck he drove across the street in Georgia and bought a brand new 2500 Cheverlot.

So he gave me advice "do not buy a F-250 in 2009 or 2010 because they have bad motors." W E L L now I see the 2008, 2009, and 2010 are almost the same thing.

I will have to increase my prayer life I guess.
Here's some bad news for your brother, if he puts bad diesel in the chebby he will have the same problem. Getting water in diesel is not new, whats new is the complexity of the modern (built after 2007) EPA compliant engines. They make the repairs cost more, a lot more. Your brother should have pushed back to the fuel source cause usually if one got bad fuel a lot did and they have insurance. He could also have filed with his insurance company and let them sue the fuel source. Or, he could have blamed Ford and bought a new truck. I don't worry much about money either but I didn't get that way giving it away. Every time I fuel I pump a couple gallons into the truck then I pump a pint or so into a small clear jar I carry in the tool box. It's not fool proof but it darn near is, it adds maybe 2 minutes to the refuel and I avoid being stranded in Westbigod nevada.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
RetiredBadge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Every time I fuel I pump a couple gallons into the truck then I pump a pint or so into a small clear jar I carry in the tool box. It's not fool proof but it darn near is, it adds maybe 2 minutes to the refuel and I avoid being stranded in Westbigod nevada.
Please forgive my ignorance. Are you saying pumping the water into a pint jar that the water and diesel separates? That it is that visible?

I apologize to the whole forum I am doing my best to make a wise decision because I am a retired State Police without full retirement do to disability and a part time Baptist Preacher so I worry about money.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredBadge
Please forgive my ignorance. Are you saying pumping the water into a pint jar that the water and diesel separates? That it is that visible?

I apologize to the whole forum I am doing my best to make a wise decision because I am a retired State Police without full retirement do to disability and a part time Baptist Preacher so I worry about money.
No problem, this is where we all come to learn and share what we learn. Yes, it does not take a big sample to see the water in the diesel. Most regulars on here also drain the fuel filter under the drivers door monthly, for the same reason. once the water gets passed the filters (one on the frame under the driver door and one on the engine next to the oil filter, it goes into the fuel rails and causes a lot of problems. I think there was one guy on here spent north of $8000 on it. Ford won't cover it because they did not put the water in there. It's not a ford failure. Some would argue the truck should have better filters and alarms. We should be able to expect good fuel for 4 bucks a gallon but every now and then a fuel tank leaks and ground or rain water gets in, and whammo. I'm also retired and choose to take an extra moment to try and prevent a water in fuel problem.

As to the rest of your post, the ford diesel, any diesel is expensive to operate. Fuel mileag is bad, maintainence is expensive. But if you have something heavy to tow or haul the diesel will do it. And it will do it for a lot of miles. If cost is an over riding concern I might suggest you look at some of the diesels built before Model year 08, thats when the EPA stuff kicked in and significantly increased the cost of owning and driving a diesel truck. if you can find one with low miles (less than 100,000) and in good condition you could save on the purchase and the cost of repairs. Good luck.