6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Hill Descent/Advance Trac error messages

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:34 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Nava Jr.
I'm experiencing the same warning lights and messages. Has anyone found an answer?
2012 f350 6.7 diesel
Welcome to the forum, Steven. I'd recommend bringing these warning lights and messages to the attention of your dealership so they can diagnose. What's the truck's current mileage?

Crystal

Old 12-28-2015, 10:53 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by DaktariEd
New Guy here.
I've had some errors show up multiple times since getting my new 2012 F-250 a couple of months ago: "Hill Descent Control Fault," or "Service Advance Trac."
Took it to the dealer two or three times and they replaced a couple of modules: one related to the RCM (whatever that is) , and one related to the ABS system.
Just got the messages again at a dead stop just after starting up.
I saw a thread here from last month about this same issue but no resolution was posted.
Does anyone have any ideas I can give the service techs when I take it back to the dealer next week?
Thanks!
Ed

PS, 2012, 6.7 L PowerStroke Diesel, Lariat Ultimate pkg, 4x4; only mod is a 50 gal extended range fuel tank.
I would say the overwhelming likelihood is a problem with one of your ABS sensors or the reluctor rings which are read by those sensors.

The traction control, stability control, hill descent control, roll stability control (RSC), and ABS system are all basically the same system and all rely on the functioning of each of the four ABS sensors in order to work properly. The traction control, stability control, and roll stability control make up what Ford calls "AdvanceTrac" which is just a marketing name for the same type of systems virtually every other vehicle has since 2008.

Your speedometer also relies on these sensors, but there are other strategies to make that work if an ABS wheel speed sensor fails.

You could actually try removing each sensor, cleaning the tip, and looking inside at the ring to check for rust or other problems in there...but its really not that fun to take off 8 lugs times four wheels to check.

The dealer should be able to use the IDS computer to verify each ABS sensor is putting out a good signal within a plausible range.

If its not one of the sensors or damage to the associated wiring, than the problem is almost certainly the ABS ECU itself. But I'd bank on a sensor.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
both systems are useless and a product of the government saying what has to come on a vehicle. I have driven my truck in all manner of conditions and see no plausible use for the systems. in fact there are definate times it very well could have caused me to actually get my truck stuck.
First of all, the Government does not mandate either of these systems on vehicles with a GVWR of 10k or greater (which excludes most of the Super Duty line which might be so equipped). The Government has never mandated Hill Descent Control on any vehicle.

Stability Control is a very valuable feature which costs very little, since it simply re-purposes existing ABS system hardware which is already included. Stability Control was invented by the Germans (Mercedes-Benz) back in the mid-'90's and eventually the US Government decided to make it mandatory for all models by 2012 except those vehicles with a GVWR of 10k lbs and up (as I mentioned). On icy or snowy roads, the system can be a lifesaver. In situations where you drive into a corner too fast, again, it can keep you on the road. Emergency lane changes at interstate speeds, which sometimes resulted in high profile vehicles rolling over, are now made safer. My only concern with stability control systems is that they can allow driver overconfidence.

Traction Control itself it not mandated, but again, simply re-uses ABS control hardware.

Many people have a negative opinion of traction control because they dislike how the system cuts engine power. In most cases, this portion can be disabled, just leaving the brake-based portion which is typically quite effective. The Super Duty can be partially disabled in this manner. In many cases, traction control is quite effective at getting a vehicle unstuck, and in my opinion, is the next best thing to having an axle locker.

Hill Descent Control was invented by Land Rover under BMW's ownership back in 1997. Normally, low range combined with a low transmission gear allowed a driver to creep down a steep off-road descent with complete control. However, the Land Rover Freelander did not have a low range...so Hill Descent Control was invented to basically perform the same function. Later, Land Rover spread the feature across its lineup starting with the 1999 Discovery II as a marketing point since they were the only manufacturer in the world with such a system...despite being entirely redundant on all other Land Rover models which featured low range gearing.

Ford purchased Land Rover in 2000 from BMW and over time poached several features, including Hill Descent Control and Terrain Response.

Personally, since the Super Duty has a decent low range, a low transmission first gear, and reasonably "short" final drive ratios, I feel as though Hill Descent is nothing more than a useless gimmick. Sure, it works, but so does low range, first gear. Additionally, how often will a Super Duty be descending down a steep off-road slope? Probably a lot less often than a Land Rover. Utilizing HDC means prematurely burning up a lot of brake pad...and indeed, brakes can overheat from much HDC use. Ford, like Land Rover, uses an algorithm to determine when the brakes are probably overheating at which point it shuts down the system for a period to cool.

Just my $0.02. Having owned and wheeled many Land Rovers, including several with HDC and traction control, it is very familiar territory for me.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Cityfire141
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Ford diesel won't crank

Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, Steven. I'd recommend bringing these warning lights and messages to the attention of your dealership so they can diagnose. What's the truck's current mileage?

Crystal
Hi Crystal I saw that you were helping another ford owner on this same problem on another thread just looking for a solution, truck won't crank and throw's advanced track, low oil, hill accent, and a picture of a wrench when the key is in the start position, somebody was commenting about a plug by the parking break?

Old 12-29-2015, 02:25 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Cityfire141
Hi Crystal I saw that you were helping another ford owner on this same problem on another thread just looking for a solution, truck won't crank and throw's advanced track, low oil, hill accent, and a picture of a wrench when the key is in the start position, somebody was commenting about a plug by the parking break?
Welcome to the site, Cityfire141! I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best resource for mechanical information. Since your truck won't crank, I'd recommend either contacting Roadside Assistance at 1-800-241-3673 or your local Ford Dealership for towing options. What's the truck's current mileage?

Crystal

Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Cityfire141
New User
111,000. Ok sounds like multiple trucks are having this problem, do you know if there is any recalls or, if my ford dealer can find out what other dealers are doing to fix the problem?

Old 12-30-2015, 09:55 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Cityfire141
111,000. Ok sounds like multiple trucks are having this problem, do you know if there is any recalls or, if my ford dealer can find out what other dealers are doing to fix the problem?
Hi Cityfire141,

You can check on any recalls on your vehicle by entering your VIN here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...e/recalls.html Your Ford Dealership will have access to same technical resources as other dealers, so they'd be able to get any information regarding common concerns. Come back and tell us how your appointment goes.

Crystal

Old 03-14-2016, 11:07 PM
STRKTHS
New User
Having the same trouble

I'm having the same issues with abs and traction control lights on, as well as Hill Decent Control Fault and Service AdvanceTrac messages popping up every time I turn the key. Found this wire cut which appears to be the wheel speed sensor which was located on the driver side frame rail. Haven't reconnected, but I'm assuming this is most of my trouble.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Tremmert
New User
Same issue here. I removed and reseated the plug by the e brake, but no improvement. Here is a video of what is happening: https://youtu.be/J1JJjCRJJqE

Old 03-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Jnorris386
New User
Hill decent / Advance trac/ ABS

Tire chewed right through it.

The problem is actually a ground fault issue either in the wiring or a bad sensor in one of the wheel hubs. I was having The exact same issues on my 2013 F1 50. After a quick inspection of the wiring I found a damaged wire leading to my front left hub where it appears that one of my 37 inch tires had rub through the wiring and caused a ground short circuit. It took all of about 30 minutes to fix and also to realign the bracket holding my brake line and wiring that came with my lift kit. Hope this helps. Also if it is a wheel sensor that will have to be discovered by hooking up to an OBD two port and having somebody read the codes to tell whether or not one of your wheel sensors is indeed faulty

Last edited by Jnorris386; 03-02-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Post picture
Old 03-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Tremmert
New User
Good find Jnorris.

I ended taking my truck to the dealership, and they charged me $600! Same exact problem.

After I got home, I looked at the repair and the technician just spliced the wires back together and covered it in electrical tape. $600?!?!?! Very pissed at Ford. This if my first Ford vehicle and I am still under the bumper to bumper warranty. They said nothing would be covered because I must have been taking the vehicle off-road. Nope. Highway miles only.

-- Pissed off Ford owner

Old 03-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Fert
Senior User
I had this problem a few weeks ago, except mine ended up being the dash went dark and the only gauge left working was the fuel gauge. had to be towed into Ford. they never found anything wrong. I checked the plug by the emergency brake and didnt find a loose plug or wire. now i have had the advance trac start coming on again.
this is a pain in the butt.

BTW: in the video, or maybe it was the second video, I saw where the guy had the "numbers" up on hs display for the gear on the transmission. I know how we can lock the gears out, but I had a ford mechanic tell me to keep them off the screen because it can make the transmission shift a little later and give you worse MPG. anyone ever heard that??

Fert

Old 03-06-2017, 04:54 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Fert
BTW: in the video, or maybe it was the second video, I saw where the guy had the "numbers" up on hs display for the gear on the transmission. I know how we can lock the gears out, but I had a ford mechanic tell me to keep them off the screen because it can make the transmission shift a little later and give you worse MPG. anyone ever heard that??

Fert
Find a new mechanic....Quickly!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:32 AM
Fert
Senior User
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Find a new mechanic....Quickly!

trying to, talked to 1 in harriman tn today, still wasnt impressed. I asked him about a few things and he just looked at me like I was talking a foreign language.

Fert

Old 04-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Pipeliner600
New User
Originally Posted by Gints
As stupid as it sounds, wiggle harness plug on parking brake, take it off and zipptay it somewhere ells.
where is this plug please

Quick Reply: Hill Descent/Advance Trac error messages