Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you screwed up while working on your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 PM
RavageX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What have you screwed up while working on your truck?

Trying to get a list of things people have done that didn't go the way they planned.

Replaced my fuel filter on my 7.3 PSD. Put the new filter on and started the truck up. Found out that hand tight isn't good enough when I went around the hood and saw full spraying everywhere. Arg..

What kind of pain have you had?

Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
theres a piece of fuzz IN my speedo that annoys me. alot. it just stares at me as i drive.

i tried to get a can of compressed air to blow through the tiny opening around the mileage counter reset push button.

the can was inside at room temp, and it was about 99 degrees out.

theres like a million stress cracks in the plastic cover now. so now that plus the fuzz bothers me LOL

Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
on my first excursion i installed 4" f-350 blocks. some how i installed the u-bolt holder on top side ways. so in any off camber situation it would hit the lip in the wheel well. took a few curb hops i heard this banging. finally looked it over again and saw my screw up. fixed it and all was well.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After changing my front leaf springs I forgot to secure the ABS sensor wire. About 2 days later the ABS light came on because the tire rubbed through the wire.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Had a sticking passenger front window and decided to give it some lubricant. Had some PTFE from Ford that I used on my slip joint, and several other sticky mechanisms and it works great, so decide to try it on my window mechanism. Fixed the sticky motor but anything with Teflon in it is almost impossible to get off of glass. Took over an hour and a whole bottle of windex and roll of paper towels to get the window clean, and now every time it goes down it comes back up with a streak! Good thing it's winter, hoping it wears off by Spring.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Senior User
I tried to tighten up my steering box. Made it way worse. Loosened it back up, still sucks. Hence the Red Head Group buy, in TWO days. Yeah.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 PM
AzSuperDuty
Senior User
He said Redhead Group Buy

Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was installing cab lights on a different truck, it didnt come with them and I wanted them. Had all the holes drilled in the roof, no problems, lights installed, no problems, wiring plugged in, no problems, only needed to fasten the ground wire and put the headliner back up. Ground was a short piece coming off of center light, so I decided to drill a hole in roof support inside of cab and screw it on. tried to drill hole slowly so as not to punch through and hit the roof skin, I did anyway, left a really nice looking volcano of a dimple on the outside that eventually started to rust. Good job ace....

Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Once while changing the fuel bowl drain valve, I over tightened one of the screws and stripped it out. Made the fuel leak much worse. Had to replace the entire assembly.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
I have the worst of luck with interior plastic pieces. Especially if they have plastic snaps of some sort. They either dont go together perfect like the way they came off, or pieces get broke.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:54 PM
VQT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
I was installing cab lights on a different truck, it didnt come with them and I wanted them. Had all the holes drilled in the roof, no problems, lights installed, no problems, wiring plugged in, no problems, only needed to fasten the ground wire and put the headliner back up. Ground was a short piece coming off of center light, so I decided to drill a hole in roof support inside of cab and screw it on. tried to drill hole slowly so as not to punch through and hit the roof skin, I did anyway, left a really nice looking volcano of a dimple on the outside that eventually started to rust. Good job ace....

Since the vocano is on the roof, no one will see it, can't you use some bondo to cover it up?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Tried fixing the back up sensors, first replaced the speaker, as that was suggested by a thread here. Still didn't work. Tried cleaning the connections to the sensors in bumper, every one I took out to clean would not go back in. Still no workie!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 AM
jamesbfishin
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VQT

Since the vocano is on the roof, no one will see it, can't you use some bondo to cover it up?
Unfortunately the dimple was more like a pimple and puched up from the inside, like and outie instead of an innie. Bondo would have made it look like a really cool eruption...... Could even hook up some exhaust smoke to it so it would spew going down the road

Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin

I did that same thing but not with a roof, with a radiator in the background...

Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy67
Tried fixing the back up sensors, first replaced the speaker, as that was suggested by a thread here. Still didn't work. Tried cleaning the connections to the sensors in bumper, every one I took out to clean would not go back in. Still no workie!
99% of the time its a bad sensor. put the truck in reverse and go back and feel each sensor. you should feel a very slight pulsing. the one that does not pulse is bad.

Quick Reply: What have you screwed up while working on your truck?