1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Same as last year, cold start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM
dajain
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same as last year, cold start.

A little history on the truck. it's a '95 F250 PSD (245K miles) which was severely neglected in the oil field before I got her. I have been nursing her back to health for over a year and still don't have the cold start problem figured out.

Last year I found the relay was bad, replaced it. Didn't help. Found 6 glow plugs bad. Replaced all 8 and still didn't help.

When it does start when it's cold, it lacks power, shakes, and knocks pretty bad. Once it's warmed up, it starts and runs just fine.

There is not excessive smoke while cranking or when started.

The no start seems intermittant because it started yesterday (and of course had to let it warm up) but today I had to plug it in to get it going.

Question is, would a plugged/faulty IPR cause this situation? Do I need to tear into the injectors?

Can a buzz test be done on this injector circuit?

Any help would be great.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 AM
mojoman
Senior User
I'd look at injectors...had the same prob for 2 years...Rosewood stage 1's fixed it up proper....hth

Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by dajain
A little history on the truck. it's a '95 F250 PSD (245K miles) which was severely neglected in the oil field before I got her. I have been nursing her back to health for over a year and still don't have the cold start problem figured out.

Last year I found the relay was bad, replaced it. Didn't help. Found 6 glow plugs bad. Replaced all 8 and still didn't help.

When it does start when it's cold, it lacks power, shakes, and knocks pretty bad. Once it's warmed up, it starts and runs just fine.

There is not excessive smoke while cranking or when started.

The no start seems intermittant because it started yesterday (and of course had to let it warm up) but today I had to plug it in to get it going.

Question is, would a plugged/faulty IPR cause this situation? Do I need to tear into the injectors?

Can a buzz test be done on this injector circuit?

Any help would be great.
If the 245k is on the original injectors, I would go with new/different ones. This sounds like the way my brothers Super duty was acting, with the added fact he was making oil. Swapped in an used set purchsed off Ebay, for a little more than core price, and all is good.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First we need to make sure the GPR is working. You will need a voltmeter or at the very least a test light. With the engine cold turn the key to ON and measure the voltage on each of the big terminals of the GPR. One big terminal is always hot and the other one goes hot when the relay activates.

Welcome to FTE ...

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like poppets in the injectors are sticking.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM
dajain
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hussler
First we need to make sure the GPR is working. You will need a voltmeter or at the very least a test light. With the engine cold turn the key to ON and measure the voltage on each of the big terminals of the GPR. One big terminal is always hot and the other one goes hot when the relay activates.

Welcome to FTE ...
I was thru the glow plug system last year and it does have new plugs and a relay on it. I went as far as testing for voltage at the plugs themselves after I replaced them and before I put the valve covers back on.

Thanks for the input. I am leaning more towards the oil side of the injector system, but That would be an expensive just change out to see if it fixes it.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM
dajain
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordpride
Sounds like poppets in the injectors are sticking.
I am thinking injectors also. Are the poppets a servicable item on these powerstrokes, or does the entire injector need to be replaced?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:54 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
It would have to be rebuilt. Contact Jim at Rosewood Diesel he can rebuild your to stock or stage ones for the same price. Around 1200+- a little

Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 AM
dajain
Junior User
I found a working set (rebuilt 80k miles ago) out of a '97 PSD.

These will work with my truck?

From the research I have done, it looks like they will.

Also found a full set of AO injectors. What is the difference between the 2 kinds and are they interchangable? Not sure what my truck has, havent looked.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
AA an AO are the same. They are single shots. The AA was used in the trucks. AO was in the vans. AD was used in 99 and up super duty. The AD are split shots.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM
dajain
Junior User
Just ordered some used reman's with 80k miles on them. Got a decent price on all 8 and the guy was upgrading to 2's.
I'll keep ya posted if it fixes the old girl.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
When you change the injectors only use alliant orings you can get them from clay
Riffraff Diesel: Alliant Injector O-rings

How to change injectors
TikiWiki : 94 through 97 Injector R&R

Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 AM
dajain
Junior User
OK! Got the injectors, got the O-rings (Alliance and not aftermarket) and trying to figure out a time to do the swap.

About how much time do I have to allow for the swap?

I was also talking to a friend at work about the new injectors and he told me something I never heard before and please feel free to tell me if this is true or not.
He said the #8 cylinder injector is a different part number than the rest and to make sure I look at the numbers and the injectors and get the oddball in the right place. He has an '03 (I think) PSD and said it was that way on his. Is this true for my '95?

I am thinking of doing it on Friday morning, or at least start on it. Still need to inspect all the injectors but the first few looked really good.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
That's on the super duty 99-03 number 8 uses a AE code to get rid of injector knock

Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
dajain
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordpride
That's on the super duty 99-03 number 8 uses a AE code to get rid of injector knock
That is what I was thinking, it was for a newer motor. At least I don't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Same as last year, cold start.