1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it or should I give it back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 PM
AWSHUX
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A larger reputable ford dealer is where I got the truck. The OD light doesn't constantly blink, on occasion out will come on & blink but then go off. The truck runs like a scalded dog & looks good inside & out. I know they'll do their best to remedy the problem, I've bought several vehicles from them over the years. I just don't want a headache later on down the road.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AWSHUX
I just don't want a headache later on down the road.
So then return the truck. Start over with a clean slate. This one has trouble written all over it.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
That's a tough spot then. I survive on my work reputation and referals, so the fact hey have been good to deal with in the past would count for something to me. But I'm still skeptical of the rig itself. Lets face it, in the end its your bed to lay in, and a reputable company can/will only do so much down the road.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A larger reputable ford dealer is where I got the truck. The OD light doesn't constantly blink, on occasion out will come on & blink but then go off. The truck runs like a scalded dog & looks good inside & out. I know they'll do their best to remedy the problem, I've bought several vehicles from them over the years. I just don't want a headache later on down the road.
Everything you say indicates you really want to keep the truck, which I understand. That being the case, take it back and tell them to fix the transmission and cut the price in 1/2.

Just don't forget that somebody purposely changed the odometer for a reason (did I mention that is a federal crime?).

Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Benjamin250
New User
Take the truck back. If they are a good dealership tell them to find you another truck.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
I just ran the truck through NADA to get a guess what it might be worth with 400,000 miles on a 2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel. Average trade is $6425, with about half that coming from the diesel upgrade. Since the diesel has some salvage parts, is it really worth even what the book value is claiming?

If you keep it, the dealer REALLY needs to make you a sweet deal!

I would start over, but I guess I already said that. Lots of trucks on the used market.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still say give it back. A ford dealer selling a truck with known salvage parts on it and not disclosing that?! Im sure they will take care of you, its not a matter of "IF" its "WHEN" the next thing will go out. 400k its probably due for rear bearings, Unknown transfer case condition, loose front end parts plus who knows what else came from the salvage yard. Its all your call but It WILL be a money pit very fast. Even if the OD light blinks or flickers a few times there is a code present wich could mean expensive transmission work. They probably painted it at the salvage yard. If you cannot verify the motors actual mileage it could need injectors, turbo, HPOP, and the list goes on. You dont know how long that motor has sat for and the area it was sitting in, possibly outside in the elements or inside, you just never know. Also its not hard to swap valve covers to make the date match the door. Its not hard to swap gauge clusters, it takes about 15 minutes. You would be amazed at how much a good detail makes the truck appear well kept. If the dealer considered you a "good customer" they should have at least told you. I cant believe a ford dealer would willingly pass basically a rebuilt truck to someone. Had the truck had only 132k on it, The truck might be worth the 13 you paid. Now thats a 4,500.00 truck all day long

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 AM
AWSHUX
Junior User
Thanks for all the insight. I am planning on taking the truck back unless I get a REALLY good deal on it. I'm pretty sure they don't want the truck back so they should be willing to talk numbers,, small ones. I figure around $3-4000 should be fair. Those trucks are getting hard to find here in MS. They gave me a 2 yr warranty with it. Reckon they will still honor it now that the mileage is unknown?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Thanks for all the insight. I am planning on taking the truck back unless I get a REALLY good deal on it. I'm pretty sure they don't want the truck back so they should be willing to talk numbers,, small ones. I figure around $3-4000 should be fair. Those trucks are getting hard to find here in MS. They gave me a 2 yr warranty with it. Reckon they will still honor it now that the mileage is unknown?
They may back off the warranty if the price drops to the numbers you are willing to pay now.

You mentioned earlier that there are a lot of 6.0s around. There is a LOT of good information in the 6.0 forum here on how to "bulletproof" that engine. Folks who ignore their engines are displeased with the 6.0. Those who take care of their machines feel differently.

One good thing about the bad rep of the 6.0 among casual truck buyers is that the demand is low, so there are bargains to be found. For the right owner, it can be a great ride. I have a friend who puts 2500 miles a week on his. He loves it, and makes his living with it.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 AM
AWSHUX
Junior User
I guess the fear factor is still pretty high around here on the 6.0. I can hardly find anyone to say anything good about it. I've heard that the 6.0s are real peppy until your put a load on it, then it falls flat on it's face. I also heard that whatever the issues were with the 6.0 were fixed by'06. So the'06-'07 trucks should be fine. But all this is hear say. I have no first hand experience with the 6.0 myself.

Back to my truck- The dealer is still researching the issue on how the miles got off on this truck, which u can't blane them for. But that don't change the fact that it's still wrong. So should I wait for them to finish their research & see what they come up with, or should I go up there & start demanding things?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I guess the fear factor is still pretty high around here on the 6.0. I can hardly find anyone to say anything good about it. I've heard that the 6.0s are real peppy until your put a load on it, then it falls flat on it's face.
Whoever said this has absolutely no towing experience with a properly running 6.0L engine. I've driven them all both heavily loaded down as well as empty, and the 6.0L is a HUGE improvement over the 7.3L both loaded and empty.

See these threads for the results of our various meets we've had in OH:

Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
My friend who puts 2500 mi/wk on his does so hauling cars. Sounds loaded to me.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
I guess the fear factor is still pretty high around here on the 6.0. I can hardly find anyone to say anything good about it. I've heard that the 6.0s are real peppy until your put a load on it, then it falls flat on it's face. I also heard that whatever the issues were with the 6.0 were fixed by'06. So the'06-'07 trucks should be fine. But all this is hear say. I have no first hand experience with the 6.0 myself.

Back to my truck- The dealer is still researching the issue on how the miles got off on this truck, which u can't blane them for. But that don't change the fact that it's still wrong. So should I wait for them to finish their research & see what they come up with, or should I go up there & start demanding things?

I would keep on top of it. Keep in contact atleast once a day. I'd be very firm but not rude. Whether they want the truck back or not would be irrelavent to me. If everything is as you say and they agree to the mileage discrepancies they have no choice but to allow you out of the deal.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM
davidzog
Mountain Pass
My big concern with that high mileage is that the rest o the truck could fall apart...while the engine may be a-ok, the ball joints, ujouins, springs, hubs, wheel bearings, etc., etc., etc., are not designed to go 400,000 miles....I would dump that truck without hesitation. You are just waiting for problems to happen, and they certainly will....

Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
IMHO I would take it back, as stated, tranny light flashing, your gonna be dumping 3-4000 in for a new trans.
There are better trucks out there, 7.3's, 6.0's with 1/4 of those miles.

Did you buy it in Houston, from a guy named Frank Sultan?! I ALMOST bought an 02 F350 CC/4X/7.3 from him, said 48k miles AND had a clean carfax, I gave a deposit over the phone, bought a ticket to Houston and flew out to drive it home, problem was, when I went to look at it,,, I would have sworn it had AT LEAST 300k+ on it, the steering wheel was worn smooth, the undercarriage was GROSS, everything except paint and Odometer said lots and lots of miles,,, I made him refund my deposit and took a loss on the ticket,,, learned a lesson there,,,

Quick Reply: Is it worth it or should I give it back?