1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Missy Green Drags Home a Stable Mate

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Dibs on first ride!

I have to say, I couldn't believe the condition of the sheet metal on this truck. Just some bumps and bruises. It has a PTO-drive dump on the bed, too.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 763 Likes on 373 Posts
Wow very nice. Keep us posted as you bring it back to life.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
Nice truck Ray! Here on the forum we get a number of guys that buy a really rusted truck usually because it is close to home and cheap.
Those of us that have been into old vehicles for more than a few years know the amount of work that it takes to bring a rusted truck back and instead go the distance to find a rust free example, pay more for the truck and pay to transport it. You will be money ahead in the long run buying the best sheet metal that you can get your hands on. Lowest first cost will usually result in the highest final cost. So congrats on going the distance and buying a really good truck and kudos to Ross for the assist!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Neat truck Ray. Nice addition to the stable! Now you have 2 flatbed dumps! Wow....

Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abe
Neat truck Ray. Nice addition to the stable! Now you have 2 flatbed dumps! Wow....
And to think, some people just collect stamps....

Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Right now I am thinking 351, C6 and a D70 for the rear and disk brakes on the front. I am studying problems involved with a mod motor. I would like the OD automatic tranny.
If you are swapping out the rear end, I may be interested depending on what is on it now. If it has the 8T4209C 5:14 I may be able to swap it out for my 5:83.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice score and X2 on going long for a solid one that will be farther ahead before ya start than most are after a year or two of rust repair. So what engine is in it now? Will ya try and fire it off and drive her a bit to see it's condition for resale before ya pull it?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Nice score and X2 on going long for a solid one that will be farther ahead before ya start than most are after a year or two of rust repair. So what engine is in it now? Will ya try and fire it off and drive her a bit to see it's condition for resale before ya pull it?
The truck has not run in years. The powerful six cylinder engine is stuck. I have it soaking and trying to free it, dropped the inspection clean out on the pan and found the screen pretty nasty but not much sludge. I found a factory rebuilt sticker on the engine. The oil filler cap and road draft tube were clean, not signs that accompany a tired, sloppy engine. If it does not free in a few more days, I'll pull the head. I will save it if I can. I like these old sixes.
I pulled the front clip today but that won't prevent me from driving it on my road if I can get it running.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya might try half atf and acetone to free it up with.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice .Thank god for dry climates

Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
It sure is a pleasure to start with rust free sheet metal!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Calling for some good weather here for the next week or so, might be one of the last good weekends to get that puppy running.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Seems from everything I've read on the Mod motor the biggest stumbling block is the oil filter. There is a shorter element that fits it, but the real solution is Ford offers a filter relocation kit for them thru Ford Racing That is very compact and allows the filter to be mounted in a more convenient location.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Calling for some good weather here for the next week or so, might be one of the last good weekends to get that puppy running.
Oh, she is in a nice dry work place, so weather is not an issue unless temperatures drop into single digits and then I keep the fire warm inside the house. I am soaking down the cylinders and trying to break the engine free. I found a remanufactured tag on the engine and the engine showed no signs of being sloppy so I have hopes. The longer it takes to break free, the more concern I am. I'll give it a few more days before I pull the head.

Since there have been quite a few positive comments, I'll comment further about the purchase.
Paying a bit more to get a good solid base was not that expensive in my case. I've seen much worse similar trucks with asking prices more than I paid. Shipping almost 1500 miles was .76 cents per mile, cheaper than I could have hauled it myself. The broker, Stateway Auto Transport, was great to deal with as well as the company that actually transported the truck, JMT Transport. Sean, the delivery driver even offered and did help me load the truck onto my trailer.
Having trust in the seller, either by good feedback, him being a long time trusted member of a forum, or having someone you know and trust on site evaluating the truck is paramount. I would never had done this deal without Ross looking the truck over prior to my making an offer. Many thanks again, Ross.
A few pictures to show what I am dealing with.
Thanks for looking.

Attached Images        
Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Is this a date? Looks like either 3-7-xx or 2-7-xx

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Missy Green Drags Home a Stable Mate