FUEL PUMP HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 PM
lilsmokey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FUEL PUMP HELP

Hey guys

I re did my fuel lines including taking off my mechanical fuel pump and cleaning every little hole in it. So when putting the pump back on I couldnt get it back in properly. The lever was hitting the cam or whatever turns the pump. So i Had to crank the truck over for a few seconds then I could finally get it back in. Well no I have about 10 gallons of gas in my tank and i cannot get the mecanical pump to work. I have all new fuel lines from the gas tank to the pump and they are not clogged. I have cranked the engine on and off for about an hour and a half. Each time holding it for 5-7 seconds. And I havent gotten more than a few drops out of the lines. If there any way I put it in the wrong way?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 PM
DCrusher
Junior User
Originally Posted by lilsmokey
Hey guys

I re did my fuel lines including taking off my mechanical fuel pump and cleaning every little hole in it. So when putting the pump back on I couldnt get it back in properly. The lever was hitting the cam or whatever turns the pump. So i Had to crank the truck over for a few seconds then I could finally get it back in. Well no I have about 10 gallons of gas in my tank and i cannot get the mecanical pump to work. I have all new fuel lines from the gas tank to the pump and they are not clogged. I have cranked the engine on and off for about an hour and a half. Each time holding it for 5-7 seconds. And I havent gotten more than a few drops out of the lines. If there any way I put it in the wrong way?
could you have gotten the lines backward the in on the out if that is correct then i hate to say it but pull it again and hand pump it by using the lever arm and putting a hose into a cup of gas and pump the arm or simpler hold your finger while you pump it and you should feel a suction on the line if it's pumping...There is really no way you missed it unless you got it over the top of the esentric usually if you do that you can't get the pump in at all unless you force it.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When installing a pump, you might be up against the "cam" on the front of the camshaft. This is what pumps the arm(thus pumping fuel). This is why it was difficult to install the pump, and you can usually overcome the resistance enough to get one bolt in, then rotate the pump and install the other bolt. Turning the motor over til the cam was up out of the way is the next viable option.

Not sure why you aren't getting fuel? If you take the line off the INLET side of the pump, will gas trickle out? If not, then it hasn't built enough suction to draw fuel.

Try this: get some fuel and dump it into the fuel vent on the carb. Get enough in there to get truck to run for 10-20 seconds. This will then pump the fuel pump hard/fast enough to draw fuel from the tank. Cranking it slowly and for short bursts isn't going to get it going. To save your starter and battery, get some fuel in the carb and let the motor do the work.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 AM
davidmoss1992
Senior User
Freighttrain (above post is right on in my opinion)

Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
if you reused the old pump you could have a bad pump .
i had this problem with my 65 mustang /289 took the pump off to change the timing cover gasket , put pump back on (that was working fine) and no go finally broke down and bought a new pump . old pump must have been on the fence to breaking (probably dried out diaphragm.
new pumps are inexpensive .