Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My 6.9L Performance Build...Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 6.9L Performance Build...Advice Please!

Hey Guys...As some of you know I am in the process of building a performance 6.9...This should be the last engine I will need to build...I am 57 and will be a fulltime fultimer soon. I want an engine that will pull my 8800 lb. 5'ver like the 6.9 I have in my truck now is sitting up on jackstands when I pass it...So maybe a mild to mid range build...I really like the simplicity of the 6.9, its beefiness, and ability to be tuff to beat for hauling...

It appears that there are finally some cams, intakes, pistons, injectors, and pumps out there that will perform very well with a good turbo. My problem is...I need to find out what parts will play with each other well inside the 6.9 block...I really don't want to bore it out, so working with a stock block...Please give me some ideas as to what will make her come alive.

Thanks

Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you aren't looking for extreme performance out of it, I would say to install head studs to help with handling the boost. Get a good IP/injectors that are set up for FI. Probably upgrade the cam. I would think that the rest of the internals would be fine in stock form.....of couse replace all the bearings and seals. A basic turbo kit with a nice intercooler. Install the needed guages to monitor the system (trans temp, engine temp and EGT). Motorwise I would think that would be all that is needed. If you want more power, you can always turn up the boost (within reason).

Of course upgrading the intake and exhaust (if you are stock) would be highly recommended. With towing, alot of times the drivetrain is the weak link. What trans and rearend are you running? A trans cooler and temp gauge would be recommended.

Are you keeping the sus[ension/trans setup in your sig?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Engine Build

Originally Posted by jayro88
If you aren't looking for extreme performance out of it, I would say to install head studs to help with handling the boost. Get a good IP/injectors that are set up for FI. Probably upgrade the cam. I would think that the rest of the internals would be fine in stock form.....of couse replace all the bearings and seals. A basic turbo kit with a nice intercooler. Install the needed guages to monitor the system (trans temp, engine temp and EGT). Motorwise I would think that would be all that is needed. If you want more power, you can always turn up the boost (within reason).

Of course upgrading the intake and exhaust (if you are stock) would be highly recommended. With towing, alot of times the drivetrain is the weak link. What trans and rearend are you running? A trans cooler and temp gauge would be recommended.

Are you keeping the sus[ension/trans setup in your sig?
Yes I will be using the stock internals (except the cam) as they are all in good shape. I will be using all new bearings, seals, & gaskets to include head studs. The stock internals are really built well and beefy.

I was tending to think like you mentioned...I am planning on using a Hypermax turbo and their matching 3.5" exhaust as well as their intercooler. My hope is I can find a better intake that will allow the Hypermax to fit. I also know I would like to harden the rods, mill .020" to .030" off the top of the pistons and have them coated.

I am thinking with that done I should be able to find a good Turbo Calibrated IP & Injectors. I think if I can do this with a mild cam I will have enough horsepower to do what I want to do...I am not looking to go extreme.

My hope is I can get rid of the 4.10 rear and go to 3.55's. I believe the zf tranny will be able to handle it as I won't be trying to hot-rod...I just want power when I need it and extend my fuel milage some and not have to downshift at every little hill. I have already gone to a severe duty Valeo single flywheel clutch system so I think the driveline will be ok other than the 4.10 rear.

Right now with the 5'ver hooked up and the airbags aired up to 60 psi at the rear and 15 psi on the front I am nice and level and the driveshaft only has a 2 degree down angle...That's pretty good for a zf tranny.

Anyway, If I can swing all that I think I might be ok...Just need to work out all the details as to what would be a real good set-up....

Thanks for your input jayro88

Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hardening the rods and coating the pistons won't hurt, but is it really necessary? In the research I have been doing I haven't really read about anyone needing to do it. Maybe they did and just didn't list it.

With a good intercooler etc, I wouldn't think that you would need to run a ton of boost to reach the power levels you want. I would think 3.55 would be possible with the addition of FI.

I have 3.54's in my NA van and the previous owner said he had no issues towing his 7K pound (dry) travel trailer. I have yet to tow anything over about 1.2K pounds of pavers.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it were me personally, i wouldnt do the hypermax kit. i would look for an ATS kit better yet an 093 and have it upgraded.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 PM
racer30
Senior User
The stock 6.9 rods are verry strong already. they are good to over 350 crankshaft HP without any problems. With the mods you have listed you can will be verry happy with your new engine. I also lean to the 093 turbo because it has more upgrades available and fits in the truck with all stock hookups.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
Studs, cam, turbo with a large exhaust side (low back pressure), good injectors, an intercooler, and a 120cc pump.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 AM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Thanks Guys for your input & thoughts...

hairyboxnoogle...I was under the impression that ATS was no longer available unless I was to get lucky and find a good used one...I am not opposed to used, but I really don't want to have to rebuild as (1.) I probably don't know how and (2.) I don't know anybody that will...same for the 093...

FordGuy100...A 120cc pump is at the top of my 3 different pump list...

As far as hardening the rods...I really think that it is NOT necessary...but my cousin can do them for me for free...As for coating the pistons...I was thinking in terms of helping to protect them from heat after they are decked, but if I can save money here and there that would be a good thing...

I am trying hard not to overthink the build...I guess I am thinking in terms of once it's done everything will work good together and I won't end up with major problems for the 300k I expect the engine to last other than regular maintenance and tune-ups....
Meaning another IP & injectors down the road...

I am planning on doing all the work myself, except for the work that has to be done by the machine shop. I have plenty of plasti-gage, tools I need...etc...One thing I haven't found yet is the torque and sequences for a 86 year block...I have the specs for 85, but not sure if they are the same as 86 specs...but that's a minor detail...

Well thanks again guys and if you have anymore suggestions, comments, thoughts, or good sources for parts etc...it sure would save me a lot of hunting down what I need. When I get the block back and on the stand...and I start putting this thing together I will try to do a running step by step with pics thru-out the process...

I know the engine may look funny, but I also will be painting the externals different colors ie...fuel parts, lines will be purple, valve covers will be ?, block will be caterpillar yellow, oil cooler will be ?...

So, if you guys want...help me color the engine...it just might be fun...

Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as the turbo goes, none of the "stock" turbos are going to do what you want. You will need to go custom, or upgrade what you have. The 093 has some really decent upgrades. Therefor, you have to crack open the turbo anyway so you might as well rebuild it. I would be shocked to hear you spend more for a used ats and have it upgraded / rebuilt than the Hypermax kit.

The same people that sell injectors, pumps, and cams also do the turbo upgrades. Racin seems to have some real magic goin on with the ats base so i would give him a holler.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Turbos

Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
As far as the turbo goes, none of the "stock" turbos are going to do what you want. You will need to go custom, or upgrade what you have. The 093 has some really decent upgrades. Therefor, you have to crack open the turbo anyway so you might as well rebuild it. I would be shocked to hear you spend more for a used ats and have it upgraded / rebuilt than the Hypermax kit.

The same people that sell injectors, pumps, and cams also do the turbo upgrades. Racin seems to have some real magic goin on with the ats base so i would give him a holler.
Thanks...that may be the way I go because I really like an intake I saw that has the angled mouth towards the front of the engine. I forget exactly what changed on the "mouth or throat" of the intake, but I think it will help.

BTW...What upgrades are available on the 093?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
Stage 1: T61 compressor, Stage 5 turbine (factory is a stage 3 turbine which is very small so it creates high backpressure).

Stage 2: T66 compressor, Big shaft P-trim T4 turbine.

Stage 1/2+: Borg Warner Based turbo. BW turbo's are better than your run of the mills Garrett turbo's.

Both utilize the stock exhaust housing, I guess milled to accept either wheel. That really is the nice thing, so that we dont have to worry about a different downpipe or fitting. Pricing is extremely reasonable, pm racin' for more info.

Personally, if you are towing heavy, I would go stage 2. The large exhaust housing will help a lot with backpressure. IMO that is the biggest downfall of the stock turbo's.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
I agree with what those guys have all said about upgrading the turbo. It is worth the performance benefit for what you want. Also with all that you have planned with your build, there is no reason that you can't run 20-25psi. That would actually help a lot with maintaining speed pulling the 5ver and your engine would handle that easily.

I would also coat the pistons. IMO its worth doing just for the extra piece of mind if you hit slightly higher egts.

Also with the stage 2 turbo, having a bigger housing will lower your torque a bit but does help with back pressure like was said before. It all just depends what you want in your setup...