w/e away in the truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news Wallsy!

Shopping list extended:
- new Oil Temp guage for the trans (or get handy with some white-out and a texta);

- JWVB from Clay, hold it until you do your next trans fluid change, at that time change over the VB, filter and gasket (and fluid) - I know Reg rates Castrol Z, Brian & I have been using the Nulon equivalent which is available in a 20ltr drum.

I wouldn't bother with the trans deep pan. Save the dosh from this and all the extra trans fluild you'd have to use with it for the JW trans with billet torque converter

Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
TRANNY TEMPS

Ditto from me Wallsey,

Great news mate .

Good to see you've sourced a decent cooler also.

Truck on mate .

Cheers,
Reg

Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Honestly, a transmission service is a **** of ****. Just messy thats all.
Make sure you have a piece of cardboard the size of the trans under neath plus a old sheet. Remember when you pull the filter out its full of oil. Get the filter from Clay and the gasket is re usable. Also the Valve body just un bolts and out she comes.

Trans service

Changing ATF: 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and 4R100 Automatic Transmission. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Valve body

Welcome to guzzle's BTS Valve Body Web Page

seriously $500 for a service. $170 for oil $25 for a filter and no more than a hour for a schmuck like me.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Piece fo ****

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Honestly, a transmission service is a **** of ****. Just messy thats all.
Make sure you have a piece of cardboard the size of the trans under neath plus a old sheet. Remember when you pull the filter out its full of oil. Get the filter from Clay and the gasket is re usable. Also the Valve body just un bolts and out she comes.

Trans service

Changing ATF: 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and 4R100 Automatic Transmission. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Valve body

Welcome to guzzle's BTS Valve Body Web Page

seriously $500 for a service. $170 for oil $25 for a filter and no more than a hour for a schmuck like me.
Ditto Brian,

Tranny service is an easily done self service.
Even adding/changing out coolers is very simple.

Note on pulling the old filter out. Sometimes the old seal stays stuck in the hole. Make sure it comes out with the filter or pick it out if it didn't.

Note on VB. When I dropped the OEM VB out there is a small (maybe 16 - 10mm wide) strainer that sits in a recess in the main body. That dropped out as I lowered the VB down.
I didn't actually see it drop and being very light and made of fine mesh and a rubber ring I didn't hear it land in the tray I had underneath (on the big square of cardboard ).
As I was finger fitting the little bolts for the JWVB I dropped one of those and it landed in the tray. Luckily as I was fishing around for it that I pulled that little strainer out.
Just finger screwed the few bolts out and dropped JWVB and repositioned that little strainer and carried on.
So be aware of that little strainer and be sure it is in position when fitting the new JWVB .

As Brian says the VB swap is one of the easiest mods you can do .. just nuts and bolts. But get a hold of an 'Inch Pound' Torque wrench for the bolt tightening to specs.

You learn a lot about your own truck if you take these tasks on yourself.

Good luck with it all which ever way you go mate.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Another w/e drive down to the south coast over the ozzie w/e.

Big hi to the F250 driver heading north through Mogo on Ozzy day - nice looking metalic green rig with a friendly wave as I was heading south with the green kayak on top.

Truck ran like a dream, so much boost that the tube feeding to boost gauge is blowing off the barb fitting. This is before the G2 WW goes on.

I will upgrade to a 45psi boost gauge and dyno before the change over - so I can do a qualified before/after comparision, and also to see how my relatively stock build compares to Brian's hot rod build.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by SSSimon

I will upgrade to a 45psi boost gauge and dyno before the change over - so I can do a qualified before/after comparision, and also to see how my relatively stock build compares to Brian's hot rod build.
Careful bro. Thems fighting words . Seriously tho, would be great if you could do a before and after run. Will be interested to see. Im doing my lift this weekend so the engine is on the back burner. One good thing tho, I have got my laptop working again. Had to do a factory restore.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Brian, my modded stock truck will be a distant 2nd to your build!

Just ordered this 45psi stepper motor boost gauge off flea-bay:
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

For the non-metricated 3bar = 45psi

These stepper motor gauges are tons more accurate than their mechanical ancestors