Sponsored by:

New Owner Looking to drop 2"

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
pgguru
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner Looking to drop 2"

I just bought a 2003 Excursion 7.3 EB and its and inch to tall to clear the underground parking where I work.
I run a Big Office building so I use the parking Lot as a heated Garage to work on my Vehicles and I have a premium reserved Parking spot that is 25' long and 10' high on P2 level unforchantly my truck will not clear an 8" water main by an inch to get to my spot so I was wondering how hard it would be to drop the back by 2" For now I am parking in the Loading Docks but I worry about it getting hit by delivery trucks
Thanks for the help

Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by pgguru
I just bought a 2003 Excursion 7.3 EB and its and inch to tall to clear the underground parking where I work.
I run a Big Office building so I use the parking Lot as a heated Garage to work on my Vehicles and I have a premium reserved Parking spot that is 25' long and 10' high on P2 level unforchantly my truck will not clear an 8" water main by an inch to get to my spot so I was wondering how hard it would be to drop the back by 2" For now I am parking in the Loading Docks but I worry about it getting hit by delivery trucks
Thanks for the help
Wow! Even dropping a couple inches, that's not much clearance. I'd be worried about scraping the roof when going over ramp entries/exits, speed bumps, etc. Even in garages where I should have a few inches clearance, I'm still nervous when I drive under some of the hanging structures like support beams and pipes.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 AM
pgguru
Senior User
Most of the garage is over 7' it's just one big water line that it's 6'6". We mark the hight clearance at 6'4" for safety.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Crunk
Senior User
If you want to drop the back, the ex has a stock body lift in the rear. Idk the consequences of removing it, but it is a start. Just guessing, but maybe remove that, and install air bags?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have my Ex with me right now to look at it, so I don't know if this will work. Currently, is it the roof rack that will hit the pipe? If so, you can remove it.

Another "cheap" option (but would suck if you had to do it daily) is to let some air out of the tires, and have either a portable air tank or a 12v air compressor in the truck to air it back up after you passed the pipe on your way home.

Or buy some 205/70/14" tires/wheels and get some fuzzy dice on the rear view mirror.

As far as lowering the suspension...someone else would have to help with that.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's 4wd you might have issues finding a way to safely lower it, unless there is a lift on it, then you could return to stock height, but that still really wouldn't help. I only clear my 7' door by a couple inches. Another issue is apparently your parking garage isn't built to EMS spec. They would play hell getting a 9' Ambulance through there if needed, would be a shame for the fire marshall to find out and they have to fix it.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM
pgguru
Senior User
I'm In Canada we don't have Such Codes for Parking Garages

I did look at the axle and it has a (approximately) 6" Block between the axle and the Spring.
I found this online

Ground Force Suspension Ground Force Universal Suspension Block - JCWhitney
any advice on this?
thanks again

Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 PM
garryk6
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would consider just swapping out tires for now to a lower-profile tire. You can get a second set of rims fairly reasonable, and then drop to a 245x75x16 LR E or even a 225x75x16 LR E. These are common sizes, and if you have 265's or bigger dropping to the smaller tires will drop it pretty easy.... Just another option... though it will look a little funny, it is easier than some of the other options, and can be changed back alot easier too.
Garry

Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
An expensive solution would be a full air suspension system front and rear. you can lift or lower it to what ever you want!

Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i'm thinking this truck is lifted, you say you cant clear an 8' pipe?

i can fit in a 7'6" carwash with just the top of my antenna hitting. my Ex is lifted 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear over a stock height 4x4.

by all accounts you should be able to fit w/a stock 4x4.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:11 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Most of the garage is over 7' it's just one big water line that it's 6'6". We mark the hight clearance at 6'4" for safety.
Russ its a 7' pipe.

If you have a large block in the rear you may have a f350 block. Downsizing to the stock excursion block would lose some height. When you measure the rear can you take a picture and post it.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
pictures of your setup please. that will help a ton figuring out how you should proceed
I did look at the axle and it has a (approximately) 6" Block between the axle and the Spring.
come again!

you should have a 2" block. should look like this. 100% original

Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by Archion
Another issue is apparently your parking garage isn't built to EMS spec. They would play hell getting a 9' Ambulance through there if needed, would be a shame for the fire marshall to find out and they have to fix it.
Really? I don't think I've EVER seen a parking garage with 9' clearance.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by AndrewWV
Really? I don't think I've EVER seen a parking garage with 9' clearance.
We were in Boston a few weeks ago and most garages there had 6'8" or less, the one we found that we could fit in cost $33 for a day, they wouldn't even let me park in outside spots cause they said it was too big heh heh.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 AM
pgguru
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tylus
pictures of your setup please. that will help a ton figuring out how you should proceed

come again!

you should have a 2" block. should look like this. 100% original

ok I crawled under and looked my truck is the same as that picture.
So if I took out the 2 1/4" spacers out my front and back would be the same height (now the front is 23" from center of hub to truck and the back is 25")
Can Any one tell me why it would be a bad Idea to remove it
Thanks

Quick Reply: New Owner Looking to drop 2"