Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2009 Escape Hybrid Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM
dgags
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Escape Hybrid Noise

I have a 2009 Escape Hybrid that is running great, has about 60K miles on it but has a very strange noise coming from behind the dash console. The noise sounds like marbles in a can or very bad bearings in a motor spinning away. I can stop the car, no engine, no A/C or fan, no audio and the noise continues. Is there a cooling system for some of the Hybrid components that uses a pump under the dash, let me know if this sounds familiar to anyone.
Thanks,
Dennis

Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have the hybrid, but looking in the 2010 shop manual there is a MECS (Motor Electronics Coolant System) pump that runs whenever the ignition is ON. It provides coolant flow in a separate coolant circuit with its own radiator to cool the CVT transaxle and the high voltage DC to DC Converter electronics. However, it looks like this electrically-run coolant pump is behind and under the radiator on a bracket that looks like it may bolt to the radiator lower support. That is a long ways from under the dash!

Are you SURE that the heater fan isn't running at low speed?

What happens if you turn engine OFF, but then turn ignition back ON so you can hear the noise, but get out and open the hood, and crawl under just the radiator from the front and listen/look up? Is the noise coming from inside the car, or really from the front?

If it IS the MECS pump, I would get on that right away, a lot of $$$$ in special trans and electronics in jeopardy there if it quits.

Really need Bill to help out here, as he has a 2009 hybrid and maybe could tell you more.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 AM
tcesni
Elder User
I am hearing a similar noise in my 2009 Escape except that it is NOT a hybrid. To me it sounds like something is happening in the inner workings of the CD player, like trying to eject a CD that is stuck in side. Except that I've not used the CD player. Very interesting that you are hearing a similar noise.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The noise might be from the HVAC system. The 'mode' flap is run by a small motor, and Ford had problems in the past with 'zeroing' out the motor position when the ignition was turned on. It would jam the flap all the way, and stall the motor, and that was 'zero' or start point. If there was a problem with the system 'reading' the stall, it would sometimes try over and over to find 'zero'. That lead to breakage of the flap hinge. If your motor were to be loosely connected to the flap, it could cause that kind of noise. I'd try to eliminate that as a cause by removing the fuses for the HVAC system. Lack of noise would then indicate it was in the HVAC system.
tom

Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to post this at Ford Escape Hybrid - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars. I lurk there and IIRC there is something that starts as soon as you open the door. It might have something to do with the regenerative brake system in the Hybrids.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM
dgags
New User
Thanks for your reply, I have been under the hood while it is crunching away and you can't hear it up front or under the front. It is loudest by the drivers feet.
Thanks,
Dennis

Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 AM
dgags
New User
Thanks I will try to post there as well.
The previous reply about an HVAC flap may be on the right track. I am having temp control issues as well. The Drivers side will be blowing cold but the passenger side on occasion will blow hot, while the are both supposed to be linked.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I think the ABS pump and valve stuff is almost directly in front of the gas pedal, maybe a bit lower. It does some stuff when it wakes up, but I am ignorant of any details. I understand if it needs bleeding, you have to use a Rotunda or other 'smart box' to control the ABS and make it pump fluid properly. If the pump had bad bearings or other mechanical problem, it could be making the noise.
tom

Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomw
I think the ABS pump and valve stuff is almost directly in front of the gas pedal, maybe a bit lower. It does some stuff when it wakes up, but I am ignorant of any details. I understand if it needs bleeding, you have to use a Rotunda or other 'smart box' to control the ABS and make it pump fluid properly. If the pump had bad bearings or other mechanical problem, it could be making the noise.
tom
Yeah, I believe you have to pull some fuses to work on the brakes.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM
dgags
New User
Hybrid Noise.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the HVAC flap. I was able to get under the passenger side HVAC and the sound was the loudest. I see one small motor and was able to access the power connector from it. When I pulled it, the noise decreased but didn't disappear completely. I would guess that there is a second motor in the area. It definately sounds like a motor trying to zero itself.
Now I'm trying to figure out how difficult it will be to dig into this Plastic box that is the HVAC system.
Thanks,
Dennis

Originally Posted by tomw
The noise might be from the HVAC system. The 'mode' flap is run by a small motor, and Ford had problems in the past with 'zeroing' out the motor position when the ignition was turned on. It would jam the flap all the way, and stall the motor, and that was 'zero' or start point. If there was a problem with the system 'reading' the stall, it would sometimes try over and over to find 'zero'. That lead to breakage of the flap hinge. If your motor were to be loosely connected to the flap, it could cause that kind of noise. I'd try to eliminate that as a cause by removing the fuses for the HVAC system. Lack of noise would then indicate it was in the HVAC system.
tom