1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Nik's 97 350 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:56 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Sounds like fun! Glad you're getting after it. Business must be good if you're investing in the equipment. Glad things are going relatively well for you.
It's slowing down but I'd rather put a few bucks back into the trucks for next year vs paying taxes on it sitting in the bank doing nothing. Don't get me wrong I'm the worlds biggest cheap azz and barterer. All of the companies equipment combined is worth less than a base model new diesel. If I wasn't able to fix our equipment I don't know how we'd even survive a year with mechanical bills. Our old junk does just fine!

Old 01-30-2018, 12:07 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well I thought id drop another post into this long thread... The old white beast is running great and has needed nothing outside of a set of pads.

the Blue turd was recently involved with a jacknifed trailer due to a employee not setting the ebrake and jacknifing into an open door. Juckily the truck stopped and smashed my tool box and outside of needing a new door the fender andpillars were all unscathed. So its up at a buddies getting a new door.

Had another poppet screw come loose on #5 this time on Blue. Jim at Rosewood once again hooked it up with another set of 160s, once I get the truck back I'm taking a weekend off to get the injectors swapped as well as the new and address a few other small things that need to be taken care of.

Few pics of the tacoed door, looks a lot worse in person:

Good news is we got the work trucks in finally for this summer. Both need some work, one needs injectors, the other needs a water pump, full day of welding on both to put some new box bases in. Originally was planning to keep both but I think one is going to be offed to a business partner and assist in a second chipper.

Long story short in other threads, but had one nearly blow up after running away on ether from the loading crew, and getting the modules reflashed has been a task but I'm taking one in this Thursday to see what the seat of the pants difference is to be...

Donor truck was stripped of complete power train, drive train, and axles in 6 hours. Injectors will likely go into one of the work trucks, another set of rosewoods. Literally on to lift to on the frame on the ground. Pulled the PCM,IDM and hdroboost for the blue truck. The funny story in all of this is I gave my buddy a pair of bolt cutters to go cut the lines and spare tire off, I walk back to the shop for a torch as the u bolts are all seized, I'm in the shop and hear someone screaming my name. Johnny cash is blaring off the speakers and I at first just thought it was the CD, then I hear it again, I run out and he is in full brace trying to stop it sliding through the mud and grass, as the truck is rolling down the hill. I'm in a dead sprint, and I yell at him to let it go and hope it crashes into a tree and doesn't make it to the other side of the road (which I thought would stop it). It completely uproots the tree, and finally comes to rest in the snow bank below. I was more worried about my neighbors fence across the street, who I do not think is too fond of me to start with. He rode his bike by later and looked at the tree hole. Luckily it was one of two dying trees we were to replace and the worst of the two, you can see the hole behind the truck in the picture. We hooked a chain up and drug the entire tree wedged under the truck and and the truck back up the hill. Had a beer and started laughing. So in the end I was laughing my azz off at the entire ordeal and he started to ease up as I know he was in a bit of a panic trying to stop it.... what happened, well he cut the ebrake cable! TWO EBRAKE CABLE INCIDENTS IN TWO WEEKS! Anyone want any super duty parts before I take it to the crusher? Come get em!

That is all for now I guess!

Old 01-30-2018, 01:16 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
On your chip trucks, I remember you talking about wanting to tune them like a 7.3, and someone chimed in that you need to swap a 7.3 wiring harness and ECU over to do that. I was wondering how different are the wiring harnesses? If they are close enough (same sensors/plugs), you could possible just re-pin the main connector and plug it into a 7.3 ECU. Do you think that's possible?

Old 01-30-2018, 02:24 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by dclack
On your chip trucks, I remember you talking about wanting to tune them like a 7.3, and someone chimed in that you need to swap a 7.3 wiring harness and ECU over to do that. I was wondering how different are the wiring harnesses? If they are close enough (same sensors/plugs), you could possible just re-pin the main connector and plug it into a 7.3 ECU. Do you think that's possible?
I wish it were that easy. For being much more simple trucks electronically and with gadgets in the dash and cab, there literally are 3x the wires that come into the cab. Off the main ECM there appear to be about 2x, but good lord through the firewall it seems like they multiply times 3. I have considered it, I however know what would happen if I started picking apart the harness. Hence why I mentioned if there was a dude on this planet that could do it in a couple days I'd fly him out. I doubt its been done a handful of times though, and finding an EVTM for the current configuration would be key.

It would be nice to hook up a few wires and just run the ford module as a piggy back or stand alone and bypasss the entire International ECM, but its not that easy.

I also though being electronic, I was surprised they bolt it to the valve cover... Heat is the number one killer to electronics I thought!

Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well a little update:

Got the fresh new blue door on the truck on Tuesday for ol blue. Matched up perfect and its sure nice to have a closed door again!

Got a bit carried away and tried to get the truck ready for another year of pulling. Put in a fresh set of rosewood 160s. Finally had time to do the turbo as well. The old gen 2 366 came out and was still as tight as the day it went in and looked darn good for over 200k. I decided to pull the up pipes out which meant the trans had to be dropped. While they were out I replaced a cracked baffle with a vibrant unit and put in a v band fitting for the driver side so next time I didn't have to pull the trans. Changed out the .91 housing for a 1.00 and have yet to drive it till tomorrow. The 369 supercore is in and looking forward to bang on it. Some may find it hard to believe but this combo spools terrific, and the top end air flow is huge for pulling heavy in the hills and keeping the EGTs in check.

New glow plugs and her heart is good for a long time till it will likely be time for a new one....

Still need to flush the trans and install a new clutch, but for now I'm glad to be warm in the cab and working it again.

I got the ECM back from McCandless. popped it in the chip truck and still have not taken it for a drive. Looking forward to it.

F350 and driveline is all gone for a manual swap by another owner.

Old white is as reliable as ever and has kept the guys moving.

Finnaly had a minute to go around and adjust all the doosr on the EX, new door seals with surgical tubing pulled through. Learned the knee trick to adjust the door skin at the top of the frame to seal on the cab better.

I can't believe we waited this long to do it. I swear the truck is twice as quiet and all the rattles are gone, what an awesome change! So small but so big. Slapped some SD mirrors on it as well. Gets an oil change and I hope she doesn't let me down, towing a travel trailer to palm desert to race, then head up to TIPTON CA to pick up a chipper for the business and drive home, 2500 miles round trip if not more. Get home and head to Park city with family. Hope she stays as solid for the road trip as we have not had a single issue since the HPOP line.

Some pictures of the 369 in and the vbands with engine enamel that could be redone down the road, but I stopped caring...

Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Well a little update:

Got the fresh new blue door on the truck on Tuesday for ol blue. Matched up perfect and its sure nice to have a closed door again!

Got a bit carried away and tried to get the truck ready for another year of pulling. Put in a fresh set of rosewood 160s. Finally had time to do the turbo as well. The old gen 2 366 came out and was still as tight as the day it went in and looked darn good for over 200k. I decided to pull the up pipes out which meant the trans had to be dropped. While they were out I replaced a cracked baffle with a vibrant unit and put in a v band fitting for the driver side so next time I didn't have to pull the trans. Changed out the .91 housing for a 1.00 and have yet to drive it till tomorrow. The 369 supercore is in and looking forward to bang on it. Some may find it hard to believe but this combo spools terrific, and the top end air flow is huge for pulling heavy in the hills and keeping the EGTs in check.

New glow plugs and her heart is good for a long time till it will likely be time for a new one....

Still need to flush the trans and install a new clutch, but for now I'm glad to be warm in the cab and working it again.

I got the ECM back from McCandless. popped it in the chip truck and still have not taken it for a drive. Looking forward to it.

F350 and driveline is all gone for a manual swap by another owner.

Old white is as reliable as ever and has kept the guys moving.

Finnaly had a minute to go around and adjust all the doosr on the EX, new door seals with surgical tubing pulled through. Learned the knee trick to adjust the door skin at the top of the frame to seal on the cab better.

I can't believe we waited this long to do it. I swear the truck is twice as quiet and all the rattles are gone, what an awesome change! So small but so big. Slapped some SD mirrors on it as well. Gets an oil change and I hope she doesn't let me down, towing a travel trailer to palm desert to race, then head up to TIPTON CA to pick up a chipper for the business and drive home, 2500 miles round trip if not more. Get home and head to Park city with family. Hope she stays as solid for the road trip as we have not had a single issue since the HPOP line.

Some pictures of the 369 in and the vbands with engine enamel that could be redone down the road, but I stopped caring...

Dangit boy, I'm tired just reading that. All I'm doing is a dohc 5.4 Navi engine swap. I got nothing on you. Go take a rest I know you are tired!!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Wow, busy weekend, huh?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:43 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Wow, busy weekend, huh?
Originally Posted by fordman67
Dangit boy, I'm tired just reading that. All I'm doing is a dohc 5.4 Navi engine swap. I got nothing on you. Go take a rest I know you are tired!!
Nah:-) Just trying to get her ready for the year!

Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well I guess its time for another update. I think we are re-badging black and blue to the blue bich!

Post follow up on the 369 over the 366, yes it keeps it cooler on the top end for sure and I'm able to use the tow tune much more even when heavy going through IKE. I will admit I wish I left the .92 on there and may switch back.

Shortly after doing all that I had the clutch finally crap the bed. After pulling it the disk looked immaculate and same with the flywheel. I got ahead of myself and had already order a 475hp single disk unit from southbend. The pressure plate was obviously showing sign of fatigue, but all in all the LUK unit still looked like it had another 230k left in her :-)... So we installed a new flywheel and SB clutch. Replaced fuel filters on the underside, Flushed trans and tcase. Ironically it wasn't so much the clutch but more so the hydraulics, so yes new hydraulics from LUK. Problem solved and likely never needed to touch the clutch. I hope the SB hold up as I already had to pull my uncles trans to replace the throwout bearing after 8 months and maybe 30k.

Ironically I have always been a big proponent of the royal purple synchromesh oils in the trans. When its cold a 4 to 3rd shift is miserable even after the rebuild. It gets progressvely worse after 20k miles on the oil. I ended up just switching back to a mercon V from valvoline and wouldya know all grinding is gone hot or cold...wtf royal purple! Shift like butter and 7$qt vs 20$ qt...what a waste in the past years

One other discovery I made is all my axle flange bolts were loose on the rear end, had worn the bolt theads down... so I'm wondering how long this is going to last before i blow another 10.5 up.

Old whitey is hanging in there and working every day! The go to work truck right now till i get my chit in gear on the 4700s

Just did nearly 4500 miles in the excursion to go get a new chipper and do some snowmobiling. Thing ran terrific without a hitch pulling a chipper that scaled at 10,400. Yes that's a unique 12k axle with 17.5 single 16 ply H rated Hankooks.

I finally started revamping the chip trucks, getting ready to weld in new lower side panels and upper lower hatches on the boxes before we paint them and sell one. Need to get these done!!!

Not much exciting in the shop these days. Blew up my snowbike and that is under the knife as we speak, got to go get back on two wheels on a 200 bhp superbike that now lives in the shop (my wife is the best woman in the world!), good friend and motor builder/machinist is renting space in the shop, specific to bikes but having a mill, hone, head machine, etc is kinda kool now. Its disgusting when you starti having to consider building another building for how fast everything is grow... but maybe someday.

One note I did a neat project on a customers 7.3 EX, he actually added a 4th row for seating with his 5 kids, wife, and pup. Truck received new 160cc injectors, 38r, SS up pipes new collector, plenum inserts, deleted pedestal, UVCH, VCG, Gps, FRX, gauges, new 4k trans and billet tq converter, intake, 4" turbo back, chip, and a few other odds and end. Runs well now and was a nice mild bump over the initial setup which was not making much of anything for power. They are fun when when its a complete clean project like that. Sure tempts me everytime with the wife's Excursion, but it has just been too reliable.

Most importantly I have been able to stay home more than I ever have and be around my daughter. She is the world happiest kid, I kid you not she sleeps like this...no lie. legitimate sleeps smiling regularly!

Few pics of chipper and trans rebuild on the 32...

Old 03-22-2018, 12:08 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

LOVE the picture of your daughter. Congrats man.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:53 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Life is good, man. Eat it up!

Old 03-27-2018, 10:27 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
I forgot to mention the brakes, and would rather not start a new thread for it, IN FEAR OF SOUNDING LIKE A PARTS TOSSINGAT IT DUMBAZZ ;-). By the end of this I will have replaced everything. I did install a new zero loss booster that obviously makes a big difference in pedal feel.(not cheap FORD OEM) I re-did the rear shoes and hardware, front hawk pads are at 70% and it has slotted cryoed rotors. Front calipers are new have 6-9 months on them. None of this changed the braking. My front pads simply do not bite like any of the other trucks. They are lethargic at best but do work. I can lock up the rears when hard on the brakes with 5k worth of pin weight. I can barely lock the front up on dirt loaded or not.

I’m not a master of brakes, simply never had this issue with them and had to chase my tail this bad.

I made the mistake of not pulling the hydroboost off the donor truck before it went away, but I do not think that would have solved the issue. Once fixed, yes it would have been awesome. My next stab at it is replacing the master cylinder, after that, all that remains not new is the rear cylinders and lines. I’m really hoping this is the issue as I have tried everything in my mental capacity.

Like I said it’s nothing like bone stock setups on the other trucks that can lock the front up on asphalt under hard braking. Considering this truck is always the heavy hauler I’d like to get it resolved, however it has made me drive much more cautiously when towing heavy, still isn’t right though!

ANY THOUGHTS?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
My money would be on the master cylinder. Not sure what else it could be...

Old 03-27-2018, 07:09 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Luckily they are cheap!

Old 05-30-2018, 01:59 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Been a while since posted.

Not much has transpired on ol blue. Finally snapped my first axle shaft on the 10.25. Wallowed the bolts out on the flange and spindle as well. Drove home with around 15,000 lbs behind the truck in front wheel drive at 55-60. Pretty impressed nothing broke and the truck made it. Needless to say the front drive shaft needs to be rebuilt and the front shaft u joints are completely shot now. So before or during winter I guess! Still troubleshooting the brakes.

Welcomed a International 7300 4x4 bucket truck to the fleet as well. DT466 and needs a few things here and there but nothing major.

Revamped chip truck 1 and truck #2 is under the knife as well. Sure look better in white don't they! Picture was prior to frame treatment, under bed and tanks/bumper to black...

Of course the one who makes my day everytime i get home!

Quick Reply: Nik's 97 350 build thread