1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Headers for a 2wd camper special.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Animal28
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers for a 2wd camper special.

I am trying to find the right headers for my 2wd camper special. Most of the headers I am looking at are either not comparable with the camper special front sway bar or the camper special gas tanks. Has anyone found headers for the 2wd camper specials? If so I need advice.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 373 Likes on 160 Posts
over the 18 years i have had mine, i have never seen any for are camper specials. both of my ex. pipes go down the right side then they split back to each side after the rear tank

Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Corkwheats
Mountain Pass
Howdy,

I'm a total newbie, and don't know much. But, I've been doing tons of research on this very issue.

I was attempting to find headers for my 71 Ford Ranger XLT w/360. They all pretty much said "NO WAY" with the Camper Special Aux. Gas Tank. Also - apparently with the C-6 Transmission, you gotta do some tweaking on the linkage.

So, I decided to go with just a straight (true) dual exhaust using 2.5" pipe, and low restriction cherry bomb mufflers. There's a local guy that'll do it for a total of $350.

Anyways - you bring up a good question, and I was wondering about this.....will my Camper Special Gas Tank (Drivers Side) be a problem for just this standard type of dual exhaust? The thing isn't even hooked up - do I need to yank it before the muffler shop guy puts in my dual exhaust???

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I suggest swapping to the 73-79 sway bar which mounts forward of the wheels. Still, the driver's side header will likely need a crossover tube to have both pipes run parallel to the right frame rail to avoid the trans linkage and inboard fuel tank.

PM me if interested in a sway bar...

Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Animal28
New User
I think I am going to remove the aux gas tank. I do not use it anyway. With out the tank will I be able to run the headers?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Animal28
New User
Originally Posted by Corkwheats
Howdy,

I'm a total newbie, and don't know much. But, I've been doing tons of research on this very issue.

I was attempting to find headers for my 71 Ford Ranger XLT w/360. They all pretty much said "NO WAY" with the Camper Special Aux. Gas Tank. Also - apparently with the C-6 Transmission, you gotta do some tweaking on the linkage.

So, I decided to go with just a straight (true) dual exhaust using 2.5" pipe, and low restriction cherry bomb mufflers. There's a local guy that'll do it for a total of $350.

Anyways - you bring up a good question, and I was wondering about this.....will my Camper Special Gas Tank (Drivers Side) be a problem for just this standard type of dual exhaust? The thing isn't even hooked up - do I need to yank it before the muffler shop guy puts in my dual exhaust???

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Bob

I would leave it in when you take it to you exhaust guy. This way there is no confusion. He should be able to work around the tank.

As for me I am removing the tank for good since the tank is abandoned anyway. This way the cheap flowtech headers will work. I am just going to run glass packs off the headers.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Animal28
As for me I am removing the tank for good since the tank is abandoned anyway. This way the cheap flowtech headers will work. I am just going to run glass packs off the headers.
Directly bolted to the collectors? Good luck with that cuz they'll either hang too low or hit the crossmember.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Animal28
New User
Well if that's the case I will have some fab work ahead me. Thanks for the warning. I will post pics soon. Hopefully by the weekend.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM
dysfunction8
Freshman User
my '69 f250 has twin saddle tanks, and a previous owner had a shop do a true dual exhaust on it.....it doesnt get too close to the tanks, and those things run straight back.....its not a quality piece by any means, as you can see all the cobbled up different pipes that have been welded together over the years

Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Animal28
New User
Post a picture is there aftermarket headers?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 AM
fhewitt250
New User
Good luck installing those headers. The driver side is cake... Passenger side on the other hand well that took about an hour of wriggling the starter and header around on my 72. It fits like a glove leaving no play room. Looks move I just think I should have left it stock but my 2.5 inch straight pipes and thrush mufflers sound amazing I get compliments from older gents all the time asking what's under my hood. And p.s. Remove that aux tank I removed mine and it was cake paving the straights underneath.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 PM
castone001
Senior User
Call Jimmy Fuller at warnersmuffler.com/ In Oceanside/Vista, California. He can give you the part # for the headers. Here is what he did for me.

I have a 71 F250 Camper Special that ive been rebuilding for 4 years now. ALMOST done!

I removed the In Cab Tank and left the Aux Tank on the drivers side. DUMB idea! Doing it again I would remove both and put an Aux tank in the rear where the spare tire would go.

Anyway!! He did a complete exhaust system for me. Used Doug's ceramic Coated headers and dual exhaust with dual 3 chamber flow master. YES it sounds AWESOME. Anyway the headers are I think for a F100 but they fit perfect and they are around 600.00

Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Animal28
New User
Originally Posted by castone001
Call Jimmy Fuller at warnersmuffler.com/ In Oceanside/Vista, California. He can give you the part # for the headers. Here is what he did for me.

I have a 71 F250 Camper Special that ive been rebuilding for 4 years now. ALMOST done!

I removed the In Cab Tank and left the Aux Tank on the drivers side. DUMB idea! Doing it again I would remove both and put an Aux tank in the rear where the spare tire would go.

Anyway!! He did a complete exhaust system for me. Used Doug's ceramic Coated headers and dual exhaust with dual 3 chamber flow master. YES it sounds AWESOME. Anyway the headers are I think for a F100 but they fit perfect and they are around 600.00
I just removed the aux tank this afternoon and am going to leave the tank in the cab. Good thing I don't drive far. But so far I rebuilt the power steering pump, new fuel pump, transmission filter, I also had a cracked flex plate. I put the drivers side headers on last night and will do the passenger side tonight.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Corkwheats
Mountain Pass
Animal 28 Wrote:
I just removed the aux tank this afternoon and am going to leave the tank in the cab. Good thing I don't drive far. But so far I rebuilt the power steering pump, new fuel pump, transmission filter, I also had a cracked flex plate. I put the drivers side headers on last night and will do the passenger side tonight.

Keep Us Posted. Let us know how it goes. What kind of headers did you end up using?
Thanks,
Bob

Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Animal28
New User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Directly bolted to the collectors? Good luck with that cuz they'll either hang too low or hit the crossmember.
Yes you were right. I will have to add some pipe. It's very tight under there.

Quick Reply: Headers for a 2wd camper special.