Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang II front end in my 1955 F100

Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
Vin Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mustang II front end in my 1955 F100

Hi Gang,

I picked up a 55 F100 last week and I'm going to drop a 91 Mustang 5.0L engine into it.

It was suggested I put in the Mustang II front end. I found a 74 Mustang II parts car. Will the front end parts fit or do I need to get some custom kit based on the Mustang II design instead?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think it's pretty much the gospel that the least favored way of getting a Mustang 2 front end is actually getting one from a Mustang 2. The aftermarket kits contain very few parts that come from a Mustang 2.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
Vin Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by carnut122 View Post
I think it's pretty much the gospel that the least favored way of getting a Mustang 2 front end is actually getting one from a Mustang 2. The aftermarket kits contain very few parts that come from a Mustang 2.
Thanks. That was a suspicion I have. I would wind up spending a fortune getting the M II to fit. Just go with the kit made for my vehicle and save time, aggravation and money

Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
jrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to behold
Hi, just saw your post. I have an original 74 mustang II IFS.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM
roshan
Junior User
roshan is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much weight can the this Mustang II front end take? I'm considering using this for a 6.9 diesel idi engine.. But the engine weighs around 1400lbs fully dressed. What are the alternative front end options?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
WOW! that is a lot of weight! I'd suggest using the stock beam axle and springs from an F350 or 450.

J rock, I highly doubt that is a stock MII front suspension. The OEM MII crossmember and tread width is much too narrow to fit the F100 frame, the A arm pivots would be inside the frame rails and the tires would rub on the frame. Early on some tried to widen the OEM crossmember to fit, but that causes all kinds of problems with the rack width and steering geometry. Some inexpensive kits used a fabricated crossmember and salvaged OEM Mustang II spindles, A arms and brakes with a modified steering rack, but that still isn't a good idea to use. The MII IFS was based on the Pinto chassis and parts designed for a nose light 2500 # economy grocery getter. The single pivot stamped lower control arm is very light weight, and depends on a long trailing arm to resist road shock torque damage. Widening the tread width results in incorrect steering ackerman. Removing the trailing arm member without adding a wishbone lower A arm and second pivot is asking for a disaster. Finally the MII never offered anything larger than IIRC a 9" drum or disk brake, much too small to stop a naturally nose heavy 4000# pickup, much less one with a 1400# engine.
Today almost no MII type IFS kits offered for our trucks (Except possibly the very poorly reviewed and not recommended one being sold by Bob's Fun 100's. Do a search on Bob's Fun 100s, forum user name Capt Stingray and/or Big Bob's IFS to understand why...) use few to any actual MII parts. Even Ford quickly abandoned the MII IFS design.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
jrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to behold
Well whatever it was it's gone. updated to a heidts with stock mII control arms. The original post was from last year.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
From what I can see of them, those don't look like stock control arms, but appear to be tubular wishbones at least the top ones. The stock MII control arms were stamped steel like the ones in your earlier pic. Heidt's economy crossmember can use the OEM MII lower control arms, but then you need to use the stock trailing arm rods back to the frame. Heidts offers a kit to add the necessary wider mount to their crossmember to use their lower tubular A arms which eliminates the trailing arm. Never use the single pivot stamped lower control arms without the trailing arms!

Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Stamped control arms with strut rods, with heidts crossmember

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
OK, The upper control arms looked like tubular ones in the previous pic. What size brakes you running?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Not sure. They came with the truck. I'll measure them tonight

Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Aren't the strut rods going to the rear? They should be going to the front if I remember correctly.