1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Paint Color Schemes

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Tbuilder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Color Schemes

We are working on a "back to stock" 56 F100. I just wanted to confirm what I have seen on this site as we start thinking about paint.

1. 1956 Engine is yellow with silver valve covers.
2. Accessories (starter, etc.) are black (or are they silver?).
3. Front motor mount (metal cast piece) is black to match chassis.
All Chassis pieces are black
4. Inside, the battery cover and trans cover are black.
5. All panels (innder fenders, front valences, headlight socket panels, etc. are all body color.

Question: Could you special order paint? There is a green/blue paint color that we like that is sometimes referred to as "Meadow Green". But when I look at chips, the Meadow Green is a light green. It looks like people are confusing a Mercury color called "Pinewood Green". Could someone order the truck with Pinewood Green, a Mercury color, in 1956? The original color is Diamond Blue, which doesn't excit us. Is the value impacted by not painting the original color, but instead using a color available in 56?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Engine is yellow with argent valve covers.
Accessories are black
Front engine mount is engine color, at least in the literature I've seen and mine is. It would have been painted with the engine.
Chassis black, very little paint probably. Was common to see these trucks come off the carrier with rusty frames and suspension parts.
My inside battery cover was originally Meadow Green like the rest of the sheetmetal. There has been discussion, reports of the battery cover being black??? I am going with what I see on mine, green.
Inner fenders on mine appear to have been black originally. Inside of fender had a light dusting of color.
The attached picture of my '56 is Meadow Green as mixed by PPG. The lighter green had another name. Search for HarleyMSN, as his truck is the lighter green. Without research, I think it was Meadowmist Green. I was wrong one time and could be again.
We like pictures.
HTH

Attached Images   
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Tbuilder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Looks like I was wrong on the inner fenders and front motor mount. Thanks for the correction.

Now I'm trying to figure out the little stuff like clutch linkages, shifter linkages, clips that hold down brake lines, electrical stuff etc. I guess when in doubt, go black.

Any other ideas, I'll sure take them!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbuilder
Looks like I was wrong on the inner fenders and front motor mount. Thanks for the correction.

Now I'm trying to figure out the little stuff like clutch linkages, shifter linkages, clips that hold down brake lines, electrical stuff etc. I guess when in doubt, go black.

Any other ideas, I'll sure take them!
Don't take my word on what I've posted as gospel. I am just observant, somewhere around forty years playing with old stuff, I try to have a handle on what I tear into, what is original vs something that has been refreshed at one or more times. I figures some others would chime in. BTW, the color on my running boards and bed frame is incorrect. Should be body color on the '56.
Pictures?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbuilder
We are working on a "back to stock" 56 F100. I just wanted to confirm what I have seen on this site as we start thinking about paint.

1. 1956 Engine is yellow with silver valve covers.
2. Accessories (starter, etc.) are black (or are they silver?).
3. Front motor mount (metal cast piece) is black to match chassis.
All Chassis pieces are black
4. Inside, the battery cover and trans cover are black.
5. All panels (innder fenders, front valences, headlight socket panels, etc. are all body color.

Question: Could you special order paint? There is a green/blue paint color that we like that is sometimes referred to as "Meadow Green". But when I look at chips, the Meadow Green is a light green. It looks like people are confusing a Mercury color called "Pinewood Green". Could someone order the truck with Pinewood Green, a Mercury color, in 1956? The original color is Diamond Blue, which doesn't excit us. Is the value impacted by not painting the original color, but instead using a color available in 56?

Thanks!
#1-4 are correct. #5: all those pieces are black. #2: engine accessories are black. #4: Tranny cover and battery cover would be black as they were painted en masse and then installed after the truck was painted. I have seen pics of low mileage firetrucks that were not repainted and had black tranny covers and battery covers.

Check out Earl's World, a website made by a long time FTE member. He was restoring to stock his 1956 F250. http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/index.html

Meadow Green is a medium green like Ray's truck and my truck.