Sponsored by: Moser

'79 dana 44 front big brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM
always broke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'79 dana 44 front big brakes

Well i'm as angry about the front brake as everyone else on the old ford. Did some searching and found an article in JP magazine article about fitting 12 3/4 " brakes on a 44 with f-250 dual piston calipers. I might have to get the part and give it a try.
Vintage Jeep Dana 44 Big Brakes - Jp Magazine
this is the link
Good luck
<!--NavBar Start--><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg_ftr_td1></TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2></TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2></TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Home</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Features</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Sitemap</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Contact Us</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Jeep Parts</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Video Clips</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Subscribe</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Licensing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Project Jeeps</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Girls</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Subscriber Services</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>User Submitted Content</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Events</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Jeep Shots</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Give a Gift</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Terms of Use</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Forums</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Blogs</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td2>Reprints</TD><TD class=bg_ftr_td1>Privacy Policy</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Marky48170
65 f250, 67 f100, 76 f250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
????? What

Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Basically you take an 8 lug hp D44 front knuckle, caliper bracket, spindle, and calipers, then buy some dodge 5 lug rotors and have them both opened up on the inside and turned down on the outside. Guess it would be a good solution if you have someone that can do machine work accurately and cheaply near you. frankly I'm a little surprised the offset of the rotors turns out to be correct.
At any rate, for someone like me (regular guy, no machine shop connections) this would end up costing a fairly large amount. Also worth noting the half tons, iirc (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) use a larger bore master cyl to go along with the dual piston calipers, so if you did this swap you would want to swap masters as well.

The other part of the swap is that some 16's will clear so you will have to get bigger rims. Maybe not a big deal for some but for those of us with a bit of money tied up in 15" rims and tires, thats a big deal. Honestly, the part I don't understand is doing all that work and having to buy new wheels when you could just swap to all the 8 lug outer stuff, get the bigger brakes using stock parts, and buy new 8 lug rims anyway... wouldn't that just be a lot easier??