1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 AM
rwdaz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 F1

Does anyone know if there is there a difference between an early 50 and a late 50?

I thought I had seen some reference somewhere to a late 1950 (suggesting there may be some changes in the truck from an early 1950).

I just bought a 49 F1 parts truck for my "late" 50 F1, that why I am checking for compatibility.

Also, if my color code is "H", what color would that have been?

I have been reading all sorts of varied opinions on frame swaps, and IFS.

Still trying to decide which route I am going to go, although at this point (from what I have read and researched) I am leaning toward using the original frame with something like the Heidts M2 with coils. I looks to be the simplest implementation and gives me all new components. Can anyone tell me why I should or should not do this? Is there an alternate brand out there that is decent and less expensive (that comes as a complete kit)? I am planning on a small block Ford and automatic transmission.

This forum has already been very helpful in the planning stages of this project.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the new thread.

The H color code in 1951 is for Silvertone Grey. It may be the same for '50, so tell us what color you find on your truck. If the truck has been repainted, original paint may still be found on the firewall, or hidden areas of the interior like behind the seat or headliner.

There were several running changes during the 1950 model year. Some of these include moving the gear lever on the light duty 3 speed transmission from the floor to the steering column, and a complete redesign of the construction and style of the pickup bed. The early style is identified by it's raised panel sides where the late style is flat. The redesigned bed is similar but not exactly the same as beds used clear up through the 70's and 80's, but it does provide a visual example if you're not sure what I'm talking about. What parts were you intending to use from the 49 on your 50?

If one wants to do a MII conversion, Heidts is the one I always recommend the most. IMHO, from years of working working around this stuff, they have the best engineering, best fitting parts, and great customer service. Even if they may be $100 more than a competitor, I think they're worth it. It's a big investment and a lot of work to do a suspension conversion, and I like doing things right the first time.

All in all it sounds like you've got a good plan. Keep us posted on your progress. Post some pics if you can. They have to be hosted on a sharing site and linked to here.

Last edited by 52 Merc; 01-02-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: fact clarification. Thanks Bob
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
......a complete redesign of the pickup bed. The early style has raised panel sides where the late style is flat. The flat style was used clear up through the 70's and 80's.
This statement is a little confusing, the raised side box was stopped in the mid '50 model year but the flat sided box used from mid '50 to '52 is not the same as the one used for the '53 and up to the '70s. Even the later boxes, although basically the same, still have a few difference like the placement of the fender location.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Unless you have a REALLY late 50 with an original flat sided bed and a column shifter, every single piece of your parts truck can be used on it. And if you took the bed off the 49 and put it on the 50, it's still correct for 1950. The vast majority of 1950 F-1's still had floor shifters and raised panel beds anyway, like your 49. Bottom line--your trucks are basically the same. I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
This statement is a little confusing, the raised side box was stopped in the mid '50 model year but the flat sided box used from mid '50 to '52 is not the same as the one used for the '53 and up to the '70s. Even the later boxes, although basically the same, still have a few difference like the placement of the fender location.
You're right, Bob. After another cup of coffee and reading your remarks, I think I've edited the post sufficiently. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Doc
Unless you have a REALLY late 50 with an original flat sided bed and a column shifter, every single piece of your parts truck can be used on it. And if you took the bed off the 49 and put it on the 50, it's still correct for 1950. The vast majority of 1950 F-1's still had floor shifters and raised panel beds anyway, like your 49. Bottom line--your trucks are basically the same. I wouldn't sweat it.
Doc, our OP originally made this post on another thread that I replied to, which started the conversation here. I hope this helps to clarify things here.

Originally Posted by rwdaz
Hello, I. Am also new here. I have a 1950 F1. Trying to decode VIN and firewall stamped color codes. Any help is appreciated.

VIN - 98RC50093KC

Stamp on upper center of firewall- H KC10L610 (i think, hard to read)

From what I can tell, looks like a 50 F1 with 239 flathead V8.
Is there a way to tell colors and options? Transmission?

Thanks
reply by 52 Merc

Welcome to the forum. While it would have been best if you simply started a new thread with your question, I'll go ahead and tell you it appears you have a very late 1950 F1, built with the V8 engine at the Kansas City truck plant. The H in your firewall stamp is the color code, the KC is the assembly plant code, 10L is build date Nov. 10, 1950. The 610 is a production number that offers no other clues to your truck. That's all the numbers tell us. Go ahead and start a new thread about you and your truck. Share some of the details you know and piece them together with what you learned here. Hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Doc, our OP originally made this post on another thread that I replied to, which started the conversation here. I hope this helps to clarify things here.
Oh I see. I remember reading the earlier post, but I didn't put the two together. There's one thing about his VIN that has me scratching my head. The production sequence number is only "50093". Either he left out one of the numbers, or could it be an early 49?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
rwdaz
New User
Originally Posted by Doc
Oh I see. I remember reading the earlier post, but I didn't put the two together. There's one thing about his VIN that has me scratching my head. The production sequence number is only "50093". Either he left out one of the numbers, or could it be an early 49?
Your right I forgot a number its actually 98RC500932KC

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by rwdaz
Your right I forgot a number its actually 98RC500932KC
Okay. That makes a LOT more sense to me. Definitely a LATE 1950 production number.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
rwdaz
New User
Thanks everyone for their input. This is going to be a long term project.

The 50 didn't have a bed at all when I got it, so I don't know what kind of bed it had originally. But the 49 and 50 look identical in every other way.

The 50 has quite a bit of rust in the cab, but the frame is clean and it has a nice clean title. The 49 is covered in surface rust but actually has a pretty solid body, it has a junk title (came out of a wrecking yard at some point long ago). Since this project is going to require a complete "frame off" I figure I may as well use the 50 frame and title and the 49 body. The plan is for a "driver quality" truck. Both of these trucks right now are complete basket cases. Its going to be a fun project and I am sure I will be asking lots of questions along the way. I will post pictures as I have some progress.

Curious what your opinions are as far as running gear?
Right now, I have a blank slate.
My first thought was something simple and clean, like a 302/C4, or maybe even a small block chevy? (lots of parts available) I am just not sure about the whole "Chevy in a Ford" situation.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey RW,
The early '50 bed or your '49 parts truck should have
the circular pattern on the inside bed sides. I've attached a
pic of our's after new wood floor & bedliner.

Good luck over there!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
As far as an IFS, a number of us have installed Jaguar XJ6 or XJ12 IFS under our truck, particularly under the 48-52 trucks. It fits like it was made for our chassis. If you are going to pay someone to install an IFS then the Mustang setup is probably the best bet since there are a number of shops that have installed the Mustang. If you are doing it yourself and you are interested in a lower cost, you should consider the Jag setup. There are some pictures in my gallery of my Jag installation. As far as engines are concerned, a number of members on the Forum will only consider a Ford in a Ford. In my case I have a 383 stroker sbc.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
rwdaz
New User
Originally Posted by 49willard
As far as an IFS, a number of us have installed Jaguar XJ6 or XJ12 IFS under our truck, particularly under the 48-52 trucks. It fits like it was made of our chassis. If you are going to pay someone to install an IFS then the Mustang setup is probably the best bet since there are a number of shops that have installed the Mustang. If you are doing it yourself and you are interested in a lower cost, you should consider the Jag setup. There are some pictures in my gallery of my Jag installation. As far as engines are concerned, a number of members on the Forum will only consider a Ford in a Ford. In my case I have a 383 stroker sbc.
Thanks for the info. I am intreged by the idea of the jag IFS, what would be the ideal years for an xj6? I am assuming I will be able to find an xj6 fairly easy and cheap in my area.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Others can chime in here, as I am not the expert. But I have a 1979 XJ6 series 3 JAG IFS
I just did a google search, It said series 3 from '79-'92 but I seem to remember some other years from previous posts. But thats a start.
49Willard is running a smallblock Chevy..I am working on a 5.0 from a '96 Ford Explorer.
Either way you go with a Jag IFS we can answer most any question you might have. There are many others here with the JAG IFS also. I don't have any secrets, so ask away!
If you are going with a 302. I will tell you the front drive accessories/ bracketry from a 5.0 Explorer will give you the most room for your radiator to fan clearance.
And the oil pan is a great fit also. rear sump oil pan either way you go.
OK enough from me for now...WELCOME to FTE

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
There is an eleven part article on front suspension options for 48-60 Ford trucks on this site. I recommend reading it before making a decision. Open this link and scroll down to start with part 1:53-79 F-Series Steering & Suspension .: Articles

Quick Reply: 1950 F1