Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector troubleshooters out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Injector troubleshooters out there?

Freshly installed reman sticks are not going as planned. Replaced the noisey #1 and the noise is gone, but an intermittent rough idle pops up now. The working theory is the armature clearance needs adjustment. I haven't done a buzz test yet... will this expose the problem?

Here's AE at idle and I add/remove just a little throttle.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you talked to Jody yet? I still think its in your tuning not in the mechanics. Mechanics would have some evidence throughout the RPM band, or at least it low RPM's as well and from what you've said it doesnt. My bet is tuning.

That being said, have you thought that it might just be the CPS?

I would address it through tuning, because I believe that thats where your problem is. Armature clearances would have to be pretty drastically off for it to mess with your idle, considering some people go 300+K miles on stock injectors without there being clearance issues that cause intermittent rough idle.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't speak for your particular injector supplier...(whoever that may be), but I would expect the armature clearance would have been already adjusted during the rebuild process. That's something any reputable builder would check before the injectors where shipped out.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
Have you talked to Jody yet? I still think its in your tuning not in the mechanics. Mechanics would have some evidence throughout the RPM band, or at least it low RPM's as well and from what you've said it doesnt. My bet is tuning.

That being said, have you thought that it might just be the CPS?

I would address it through tuning, because I believe that thats where your problem is. Armature clearances would have to be pretty drastically off for it to mess with your idle, considering some people go 300+K miles on stock injectors without there being clearance issues that cause intermittent rough idle.
I haven't completely ruled out the tunes... but this problem didn't start until we threw that #1 injector in.

I sent the data to Jody and he's given some feedback, plus I'll be talking with FFD to get their input. The truck sure idles baby-butt smooth sometimes, then that injector wigs out. I could have him bump the idle ICP as an experiment.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Could be the injector harness is not making good connection. After all, recently it's been Tugled on a few times.

I'd check continuity from VC pin to the terminal on the stick while giving the wire a massage.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Been there, done that....

Did you make sure that the injector you just replaced is fully seated?

You may want to go back and make sure the rest of them are fully seated as well...

Making sure the injectors were fully seated was part of the problem the other part of the problem was the tuning for me. Truck wouldn't idle right, much less drive right, jumped ship, went to Gearhead, problem solved...

If you're close to Jody or willing to pay for live tuning, I'd try that option.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Been there, done that....

Did you make sure that the injector you just replaced is fully seated?

You may want to go back and make sure the rest of them are fully seated as well...

Making sure the injectors were fully seated was part of the problem the other part of the problem was the tuning for me. Truck wouldn't idle right, much less drive right, jumped ship, went to Gearhead, problem solved...

If you're close to Jody or willing to pay for live tuning, I'd try that option.
All injectors down, level, and torqued. Jody is in my area soon, but our schedules are out of sync. I'm live-tuning by proxy wtih my AE and my tunes are fantastic, but this little hiccup reared its head when I swapped the single injector on warranty. I think I know what to do, but I don't trust idiots like me... so I wanted to get as much input as possible to save time. I have one weekend left before my big trip.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 AM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Tug, its tuning. No offense but theres no way it cant be IMO. It idles and drives fine, except for every once in a while. Theres a value in your tuning that is causing something to go haywire at idle. As much as I hate to say it, the only way something like this is going to be found and solved is live tuning. Without hooking it up to an emulator, you are not seeing data in true real time. Sure you can get them pretty close with AE, but you cant monitor SOI, and you cant see what is being called for vs what is actually happening.

Sure it could be a clearance issue withing the injector, but I believe that would be a statistical outlier. If there was something messed up with an injector, there would be signs of it other than a strange idle, or at least I would think. If he doesnt have you idling higher ICP already, try that. Wouldnt surprise me if bringing ICP at idle from 460-480ish to 520-580ish would make a huge difference as far as stabilizing your idle. It would not surprise me either if your PW is a bit low, and the computer is trying to figure out how to put enough fuel in to have a stable idle, while staying at the MFD being called for in your tunes. I'm telling you, call jody and see if you can get in on the live tuning. You're already going to be in that area at that time, if you really want an answer once and for all find a way to make it over to Joey's

Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I've scraped the web and I can't find an announcement for the live tuning. I think it's somewhere in Northern CA on the 17th and 18th, but I don't know for sure.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The Infinity DX would enable me to get the readings I need to send to Jody and I have a piece of hardware that gives me more capability from now on... not just have this one shot for the same money. The Hydra would allow me to try different tuning providers... if the providers are cool with emailing binary files alone. Jody has another week at this before I do some serious research/mulling for the future. I hate to be a harda$$, but I have too much money/time/stress into this to fire off another Buck$Zooka round without taking careful aim.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Have you heard from Cass about the injector(s) you sent back? Curious if there actually was a defect. Statistically, there aren't very often...

Could be the attempt to make your truck 'quieter' than his normal tuning is causing the problem(s)??

This tunin' stuf is complexicated!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Have you heard from Cass about the injector(s) you sent back? Curious if there actually was a defect. Statistically, there aren't very often...

Could be the attempt to make your truck 'quieter' than his normal tuning is causing the problem(s)??

This tunin' stuf is complexicated!!!!!!
I'm curious what Cass found as well I can't see too many defective injectors being sent out, as they are (or should have been) tested before they were shipped.
I chose my injector builder,(or rebuilder in my case) because of the testing that he does after the build, & I would think that it's pretty much industry standard.
Here is what I took from his site: All clearances are blueprinted to ensure proper injector operation. All injectors are then flow tested on our custom test bench at several different RPM and High Pressure Oil ranges to ensure the injectors function and flow properly.

Explain to me how to make the tune quieter? (I'm learning, not casting dispersions by the way...) wouldn't that be backing off icp? and effectively lowing the hp of the tune?
Sorry your having issues Tug, and I'm not trying to hijack your thread.
It's got to be real frustrating going back under the VC's while the Bucks-zooka's barrel is still smoking.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Quieter would be accomplished through a number of things. Can be done with timing (Less), ICP (less), and I believe PW (more). Of course it also depends on the truck itself. Some engines just are louder than others by nature.

Unless you are planning on doing more mods tug, I would spend the money on live tuning not on the infinity or hydra. Not saying that either of them are not worth the money, however you already have a chip, you're already pretty dialed in, and the live tune is simply to get it exactly how you want. That cannot be done without Jody actually in the truck to hear it, no matter how much data you send him.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
HALLELUJAH! Stinky threw me a bone. The SES light popped a couple of times and I pulled over to hook up AE. An IDM alarm triggered and I did a KOEO test. I have a P1271, P1273, and a P1274. "High to low side open" on 1, 3, and 4. Napa got a call and two new UVCHs will be here in the morning.

AE just saved me a Buck$Zooka round and a doctor's visit.

Quick Reply: Injector troubleshooters out there?