1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

57 Spindle help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:39 AM
tengallon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
57 Spindle help

Hello all! I am having difficulties with my 57 F100 and I hope y'all can help me with.
First, I noticed a lot of play in the driver's side wheel when jacked up, the wheel could be rocked about an inch in and out. That made me believe the wheel bearings were loose.
So, I removed the hub and brake assembly and noticed the outer bearing race was loose. In fact there is about 1 millimeter of space between the outer edge of the race and the seat it is supposed to be pressed into the hub.
Second, I noticed that there is galling of the surface of the spindle where the outer bearing would ride.
Since I needed to replace the bearings, and I was planning to upgrade to disc brakes, I figure now is the opportunity.
I ordered the Deluxe kit from Speedway with all the pieces, and the passenger side went on super easy. The driver side, not so much. The bolt that keeps in the king pin snapped in half when I went to tighten it after moving the nut side to the front of the truck.

Anyone know what the torque spec is supposed to be for that?
I'm hoping Napa will have this part, if not anyone know a good source?

Next, as I am trying to seat the new bearings in a new rotor on the old spindle, the rotor rubs against the steering linkage below the center line of the spindle. I rechecked the passenger side, which is close, but there is a couple millimeters clearance.

Could this mean my spindle is bent, or damaged from the old bearing "beating" it up? If so does anyone have a good extra one to sell, preferably near Houston and cheap?

Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:58 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
There are some pictures in my gallery using an ECI kit. I have not seen Speedway's. I am having trouble seeing how the steering linkage can interfere. Are your king pins OK? I would change them now if you have not and they come with a new bolt....LOL

1960 Ford F100 4x2 - Progress:Chassis and Engine

Old 05-26-2013, 03:29 PM
tengallon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does any one know what years the front driver side spindle will interchange with, and if there is a difference between drivers and passenger side?

No, I have not changed the kingpins yet. I am thinking I probably should replace the driver side spindle and the kingpins at the same time.

The new rotor for the disc brakes rubs on the lower U section of the steering bracket that attaches to the drag link in the rear, and the link that attaches to the pitman arm in the front. It looks like the disc is angled in at the bottom in relation to the spindle.

Any ideas of what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks

Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Pictures my friend. Post some pictures and some one can help u out. I know it is hard for some people to see exactly what u r talking about with out pics.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by tengallon
Does any one know what years the front driver side spindle will interchange with, and if there is a difference between drivers and passenger side?

No, I have not changed the kingpins yet. I am thinking I probably should replace the driver side spindle and the kingpins at the same time.

The new rotor for the disc brakes rubs on the lower U section of the steering bracket that attaches to the drag link in the rear, and the link that attaches to the pitman arm in the front. It looks like the disc is angled in at the bottom in relation to the spindle.

Any ideas of what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks
I agree pictures would help.

A couple possibilities:
1. Wrong bearing or race in the rotor
2. Bent spindle
3. Something assembled incorrectly, we have all done that.

The king pins may be bad, but the entire assembly moves as a unit so after looking at some old pictures of mine, I don't see how the kin pin could allow the rotor to be tilted as you describe. See below, note axle is upside down in the photo.

I am not sure is the spindles are interchangeable side to side. If you have a manual, you can check the part number. I am sure that they are the same from 1957-1960, perhaps more years, but that I don't know.

Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

IF they are the same a NOS is on Ebay, but pricy. NOT MINE.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-58-59-60-Ford-Truck-Right-Side-Spindle-GM-Part-B7C-3105A-/190698689411?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c66871383&vxp=mtr