Impromptu GTG 11/2

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Impromptu GTG 11/2

Now that I'm not so exhausted...

Yesterday started as myself and cameeks finishing the project we started two-weeks ago; all we needed to do was his glow plugs and UVCH, then my glow plugs; Not long after, a few calls and text messages started coming in...

Evilinkchris was having some seirous issues with his truck to the point where it was barely drivable. A phonecall and several text messages later, he would be joining us.

My buddy then called and asked when I'd need help with my glow plugs and since he's handy with a wrench, he came along.

So went from two trucks to four....

Powerstroke Ed 101 started with cameeks' truck. He'd already pulled the intercooler pipes and valve covers, so it just a matter of teaching how the glow plugs and harnesses came out and went in.

Between the Cameeks, Evilinkchris, and my buddy, they had the glow plugs and harnesses in and out of the truck in no time. Meanwhile, I worked on Evilinkchris' truck. His problem was orginially that the truck would stall and barely drive. We'd established that the MAP sensor was bad, so I gave him a spare that I for some reason had and his truck started to run better, but we weren't quite there. I had a look in his fuel bowl and found this:

After I showed evilinkchris his fuel bowl, with some Carb cleaner and a scotch bright pad, he cleaned his fuel bowl and got it clean.

Once the fuel bowl was clean, we got things back together, primed the fuel bowl, and started his truck. After a test drive, it sounded and drove 1000 times better, and evilinkchris had a BSEG. He was so happy with his truck again, his wife came over to have her truck looked over.

Hers was considerably higher than his, but standing on one of the tires made it easier to work on. Her truck suffered from loose and corroded battery terminals along with a fuel bowl that needed some attention, and loose intercooler clamps. After a taking the truck out for a drive and adjusting the speedo, Mrs.Evilinkchris left with a huge smile on her face as well.

No sooner do I finish working on her truck, does the rain start to fall. Evilinkchris, my buddy, and cameeks had my truck apart were working on the glow plugs, but had to make a makeshift tent with the rain:

Once the harness was pulled to replace the glow plugs, it was found that I had two burnt pins on the harness and valve cover and the other harness was damaged. Since it was already apart and late in the day, the only option was (please don't flame me) o'reilly auto parts. $155 later, new valve cover gaskets and wiring harnesses were installed.

After cleaning things up and checking over each others work we started the trucks to verify repairs....well, we tried to.... I left my Hpx loose and cameeks left his engine harness disconnected from the block. Once these two issues were resolved, both truck started with a vengence and ran ever so nicely.

All in all it was a VERY productive day paying it forward for members of the FTE brotherhood.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Whoaaaaa! And I thought my fuel bowl was dirty when I cleaned it last month!!!!

As far as O'Reilly's goes, Advance has some great online coupons. I get 30% off everything I buy there by using the coupons. I use them as my "emergency" source of parts when I can't wait for shipping from the preferred online sources here.

Wish I could have been there to learn! My X (the twin to yours) would have loved to hang out in the driveway and socialize...

Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 AM
itsnotanova
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! Impromptu gtg must be in the air. Drumfield stopped by my shop while I was putting a Crown Vic front suspension on my 68 F100. Tomorrow I'm meeting with Mike for breakfast so I can borrow a tool to rebuild my dana 60 front and dana 70 rear axles. SOCIALIZE PEOPLE! We need more GTGs! I am a hypocrite though, didn't make it to the one in Houston last month but I wish I had.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

It got canceled, Woody. Where we eating tomorrow?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
itsnotanova
Posting Guru
Same place last time (orange restaurant)at 8?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

sounds good!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 AM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very cool, glad you finally got those glow plugs in... Nice bunch of trucks there.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
very nice fellas! sorry i was stuck at the texas renaissance festival. i was out there with my scottish clan. i'd have loved to be there. if not to perform any repairs, it would be to socialize.

anyway, i'm usually glued to the 6.0 forum. i hardly pop into the texas chapter nowadays. sorry guys! dont mean to neglect. been busy with work, and i'm focused on some major stuff with my 6.0.

great job as always!