Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New here, little assistance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:16 PM
nick91l
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, little assistance.

Hey guys names nick, last week i bout a rattle box, torn body, load of a 6.9l IDI 86 f250, 4x2 4 on the floor. I think i in love though.. I never had a truck that purred and ran so good for being so beat up. I know shes not a hot rod and is slow putim sure shel pull wht i need her to. Now, Im usually used to gas pick ups and mustangs, so ill start by saying i did see that there is some articals that will and should answer all my questions but i want as many opioions from you kind people as i can get. Doesnt look like the truck was maintained, and it looks lik the motor bay was COATED with mud, so yes that will be cleaned up first. Other than tha all i know i should do is oil change(oil weight?) oil filter change (power stroke?) glow plugs (motocraft?) injector lines?? Should i run atf through it? if so what kind and how much to a tank? other than that i gotta bleed the breaks again, i replaced the rear drums already and gonna do the fronts soon. Also, a friend at work told me to keep an eye on the coolant? it has reg 50/50 mix in her now and its starting to get cold here in pa, what should i do about the coolant? what kind? monitoring?? thanks for any or all input!

-Nick

Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going to be brief here, gotta run soon. glow plugs, yes motorcraft / beru plugs. Oil filter, you can pick one up for an IDI, or the one for a PSD is bigger but some people have fitment issues, i suggest a WIX filter (NAPA Gold) Pick up a new fuel filter while your at it, spin the bottom bowl on and fill it with atf, slap it on and fire her up a minute and let the atf get into the pump / lines, shut her down and let her sit a few hours to a day or so. As far as the coolant goes, you need to get a bottle of SCA ( supplemental coolant addative) you can get this at any heavy equiptment store, John Deere, CAT, IH, Ford etc. Napa also carries it under the name NAPA COOL. Follow the directions on the bottle. Someone else can fill you in on cavitation, or if you poke around the search engine im sure you will find it. Cheers and welcome aboard.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM
nick91l
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks buddy big help