Sponsored by: Moser

anyone heard of a PTO winch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM
jerry73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone heard of a PTO winch?

So my uncle was tellin me the other day that the np205 had a spot where you can hook up an auxiliary PTO winch...has anyone ever heard of this? Has anyone seen it or have one? I

Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 AM
TallTexan
Cross-Country
Many of the wreckers around here built in the 80s had a a PTO driven winch.
PTO driven hydraulic pump that then drove the hydraulic winch motor. Speed control and change direction by moving the valve back and forth

Now for the big boys we had a winch truck that we bought from Humble Oil for the farm that had a Tulsa 80 on it that was PTO driven. Put in in low gear, and the browning in low and you could pull a house with the motor in idle...may take all week for the drum was turning very slow

Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 AM
jerry73
Senior User
Originally Posted by TallTexan
Many of the wreckers around here built in the 80s had a a PTO driven winch.
PTO driven hydraulic pump that then drove the hydraulic winch motor. Speed control and change direction by moving the valve back and forth

Now for the big boys we had a winch truck that we bought from Humble Oil for the farm that had a Tulsa 80 on it that was PTO driven. Put in in low gear, and the browning in low and you could pull a house with the motor in idle...may take all week for the drum was turning very slow
Any idea where I can get one of these setups? Definitely something I want to ad to my truck for value and incase I'm stuck somewhere

Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 AM
maddogjohnson
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
PTO is a Power Take Off winch.

They derive their power from the running motor.

More info from 4wdonline.com:

The PTO winch is driven by the engine through the gearbox and a power take-off unit, usually mounted on the rear of the transfer case. This kind of winch is ideal for prolonged heavy duty winching - the engine has plenty of power, even near idle speed, and there are no solenoids or electric motors to overheat. The gearbox and throttle can be used to give a wide range of winching speeds

The main draw-back of the PTO winch is that it lacks the "fine control" of an electric or a hydraulic winch, and it cannot be used if the motor is dead, although some are fitted with a manual crank option for this eventuality. It is possible to drive the wheels, or the winch, or both by engaging the PTO, or the transfer case, or both but you do not have independent control of the winch and wheels except by de-clutching.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 AM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
A PTO is usually driven off the manual trans. That rectangle plate on the side of the trans you thought was an inspection cover? Yeah, that's where the PTO bolted up. I've had a few over the years. Every one I ever used, you just pulled up on a cable to engage the pump.

Mad dog, ...no fine control on a PTO? You got that backwards. I can make a hydraulic winch spin at 1/2 revolution per minute if I want. An electric winch is either on or off. The big draw back is if the engine gets swamped, your winch doesn't work either.

Hydraulic winches are usually rated MUCH higher than an electric winch. 10K-20K pounds on the normal tow truck. (which is where you normally find them)

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
The last parts truck I bought had one on it. It was bolted into the trans. I had no trouble selling it. The way it worked was it had a gear box bolted to the trans and a small drive shaft back to a pump with 2 levers that went up into the cab. There was also a big fluid tank bolted up under the frame.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
My dad's 1975 F350 has a PTO powered winch in the bed. That is single handedly the strongest winch I've ever seen in operation, as you can tie the truck off to a tree and tie the winch off to another one and it will pick the truck up off the ground.

I don't know who built the truck this way, or what rating that winch is. But I think it is just awesome how powerful it is.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:11 AM
jerry73
Senior User
Does anyone know where I can find a setup like these?... I have an automatic with 205 transfer with the plate for the winch,they do sound pricy to find though

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
whoah, lets slow down here. first off, PTO Stands for power take off, and all PTO means is that there is a point in the drivetrain where you can take power from the vehicle's engine and apply it to doing some work other than driving the wheels.
Some manual transmission trucks have PTOs on the transmission case, at any rate, all 205's that I've seen have the plate to mount a pto to as well. There are advantages and disadvantages to going to either the transfer case or transmission, but for most automatics you have to take power off the transfer.

There are two types of winches that are ultimately powered by the PTO: hydraulic and actual PTO winches. Hydraulic winches have a big hydraulic pump that is spun by a gear that engages those inside the PTO cover, so that when the PTO is activated the hydraulic pump spins and operates a hydraulic winch. Hydro winches as they are often called, come in every size that other winches do. I've seen 2 and 3 thousand pound hydro winches and then the roll off dumpster trucks often use 12 or 18 thousand pound winches. The hydraulic winch is pretty much the standard of the working truck for the past 20 years. They are reliable, they don't get hot, they can run for long periods of time, you can mount the winch whereever you want since its connected by hydraulic lines, and they don't drain the electrical system like electric winches do. Pretty much every garbage truck, tow truck, and utility truck made in the past few decades uses hydraulic winches. They are also what the army uses on all the humvees.

An actual mechanical PTO winch works differently, it has a gearbox that engages the gears under the PTO cover and then spins a driveshaft up to (normally) the front of the vehicle where the winch is. That driveshaft spins the gears in the winch. So what this means, is subject to the strength of the entire assembly, you have the force of your engine behind the winch. Most PTO winches have their origins in the old military equipment, which tended to be on smaller jeeps and is rated between 5k and 8k in capacity, HOWEVER, it is pretty well known that the old braden winches and similar (braden just one of the most common ones) are built very stout and there are lots of reports of them pulling loads over 10,000 lbs.
Depending on whether your PTO is off the transfer case or the transmission, you can run a PTO winch with the gears on your transmission. The only recent applications I've seen of actual mechanical PTO winches are electrical linemen. They love them because they can run them in 3rd gear and spool in cable incredibly fast, so they use them to pull new power lines up on new poles and etc.

The big *** 15 and 20k winches on the front of a lot of military 6x6's are also mechanical PTO driven, but they are so big and heavy its hard to use them on much else.

Both types suffer from the same problem, that they dont' work if the engine isn't running, whereas an electric winch will run as long as its got 12 volts. The PTO winches are also both much more difficult to install than an electric winch, since you have to install either a pump, hydraulic lines, PTO controls, valves, a reservoir, and the winch, or you have to install the PTO drive unit, route a driveshaft, and mount a large PTO winch with control levers. An electric winch you just hook up cables to. electric winches are usually much lighter by themselves, and all the associated installation stuff for the PTO winches also adds to their weight. Plus for mechanical PTO winches, you are very limited in where you can install them, since you have to run a driveshaft between the PTO and the winch.

For recreational off roading use, we usually use our winches to winch short distances where the heat and short operating capacity of an electric winch don't matter. Their cheaper cost, lighter weight, and easy of installation, along with the very useful ability to pull a stalled vehicle out of a mudhole for repair all contribute to their being the winch of choice for off roaders.

The practically unlimited duty cycle of PTO driven winches, along with their flexibility to take in wire at different speeds, and their general longer lifespans, make them the choice of linemen, tow/recovery services, and military users, where the initial cost and complexity of installation out outweighed by the fact that they can use the winches hard all day for many decades without failure.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Not sure how a PTO driven off the transfercase would work since nothing spins when the vehicle is stopped.

A PTO would be driven off the trans, either an NP435, T18 or T19.

Josh

Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Not sure how a PTO driven off the transfercase would work since nothing spins when the vehicle is stopped.

The NP205 transfer case has a provision for a PTO winch, when the PTO is engaged the transfer case is shifted into neutral, the transmission controls the speed of the PTO, generally granny low or second.

The torque they generate is insane, you could pull a house off its foundation with the NP435 in first gear.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
The NP205 transfer case has a provision for a PTO winch, when the PTO is engaged the transfer case is shifted into neutral, the transmission controls the speed of the PTO, generally granny low or second.

The torque they generate is insane, you could pull a house off its foundation with the NP435 in first gear.
Ahhh... good to know.

Josh

Old 01-10-2014, 05:07 AM
68F350cowboy
New User
I don't understand what you mean by the vehicle is stopped. If you need to use a winch then the majority of the time your wheels are spinning whether or not the vehicle is moving. Simply engage the pto drive and it starts spinning. The vehicle doesn't need to be moving in order for a pto winch to operate, however it needs to be engaged and the vehicle needs to be running.

Josh

Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 68F350cowboy
I don't understand what you mean by the vehicle is stopped. If you need to use a winch then the majority of the time your wheels are spinning whether or not the vehicle is moving. Simply engage the pto drive and it starts spinning. The vehicle doesn't need to be moving in order for a pto winch to operate, however it needs to be engaged and the vehicle needs to be running.

That question was answered in [ 2012 ] . read a little more before asking , but welcome to F.T.E.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Josh
Whoa boy, whoa.........PTO winches can be driven off many manual transmissions, this is how an older tow truck would utilize a PTO driven winch. on MOST older 4x4's, the transfer case has a provision for mounting a PTO drive. Np 202, Np205, Dana 18, 20, and 24 among others have PTO capability, and in the case of a PTO on most light duty automatic transmission equipped vehicles, its the ONLY way to operate a mechanical PTO winch. Ive owned 6 vehicles with PTO's one was a 2wd dump truck with a PTO driven hydro pump off the 4 spd, while the other 5 were 4wd, had winches driven off the T-case

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: anyone heard of a PTO winch?