Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2006 Excape Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
gdelco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Excape Transmission

I'm moving this from the brake problem as new info indicates a possible tranny problem.

2006 Ford Escape automatic with 58k miles.

Yesterday, I stopped in drive, and when I proceeded there was a hammer followed by a high pitched sound. I put it in park and the sound went away. I tried neutral and no sound. But reverse & drive started the high pitched sound.

I started it next morning and again the sound occurred when putting the vehicle in drive and reverse. No fluid leaks.

Recently, there's been a pulsating brake problem and a 4WD grab while turning.

Just started it up again.

The whine isn't as loud, but a bad shake has started in the engine, and, a drop in RPMs when shifting from park or neutral to reverse or drive. The vibration/shake is worse in drive than in reverse. The problem may be where the transmission connects to the engine, but not totally sure. The transmission fluid was at normal level, and has a good color (reddish brown).

I've been having trouble with pulsating brakes with the ABS and 4WD lights going on intermittently, about 1/3 of the time the lights go out and the problem goes away, and it brakes normally. On wide left turns the 4wd sometimes feels like its kicking in but it puts drag on the vehicle like it doesn't want to turn.

Please let me know if you're familiar with this problem. I've seen a nightmare thread about a common tranny problem with the '06 at 2006 Ford Escape Transmission Failure | CarComplaints.com But none of the 36 complaints seem to ring true with my situation.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe you got a bad wheel bearing My rear went it made all kinds of noises.I jacked mine up and put it in drive and went around to the wheels to find it.Hope its something easy for you.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 PM
gdelco
Junior User
Thanks for the moral support, and for the clue involving wheel bearings "bmuhlbach". Like "Magister", I'm trying to gather some intelligence prior to taking the vehicle to a mechanic. Unfortunately, I don't have a regular one. Ironically, my problem relates to "Magister's" in that it involves the ABS and 4WD lights. My problem seems to have gone to a higher level, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of precedent in the forum. I'm planning to do something on Monday, so if anyone has any specific knowledge that could help me sort out my vehicle's situation ... I'd be grateful for any reply.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Southern Bronco
Elder User
From what you've discribed it sound like the planetary drive is starting to take a dump. I'd say find a good tranny shop to check it out.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there is a tone ring on the axel shaft that gets rust undedr it and cracks the ring and causes the abs light and the pulse in the pedel the rears from what i was told dont break that often so i'd check the front ones.Not that hard of a job to replace them and about $7.00 for the part from Ford.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM
gdelco
Junior User
Thanks bmuhlbach ... I had the front tone rings replaced last year. But the pulsating break condition continued. The pulsating brake problem also originated with a replacement of the front break pads a couple of years ago. When the tone rings were replaced, I was told that if the pulsating break problem continued, I could have the rotors machined. Another mechanic told me the same thing.

The ABS/4WD light problem was definately associated with the pulsating break problem, because the breaks would stop pulsating on slow turns, then the lights would go out until the breaks started pulsating again, then the lights would go back on.

When the slam happened while accelerating from a full stop, the whine started. The rest is in my post. I'm thinking the problems are all related. That's why I'm looking for a precedent here. But it may be a rare set of circumstances. I'll need to get a professional opinion before I bring it to a tranny shop. There's one nearby, but I don't expect any job there will be inexpensive. And I'll still need the break job.

Thanks Southern Bronco ... I'll do my homework on the planetary drive.