Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Aztec209
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 F250 Worth Restoring?

Truck:
1979 Ford F250 Ranger XLT
2WD, 460, automatic trani

Dad just gave me his old truck that he had stored in his garage, now I'm considering if its worth restoring it, selling it, or sending it to picknpull. The truck is in poor condition (in my opinion although I've seen worse)

TRUCK:

^ the "R" fell off found it

THE BAD

^ Only on the right door

The truck was in the garage for almost 7 years, after the steering box/brakes went out dad stopped using it. The truck was occasionally turned on, and the truck would turn on without a problem, even though the truck was only turned on once in a wile (about every 3 months). Last week we turned on the truck, a few mins later truck backfired and sadly it hasn't turned on since then, the ONLY way to get it running a few seconds is by adding fuel directly in the carburetor which will only make the engine run for about 5-10 seconds.

Now I honestly don't know what to do!, I LOVE the truck, but I don't know if its worth it, what do you guys think?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Aztec209
Truck:

Dad just gave me his old truck that he had stored in his garage, now I'm considering if its worth restoring it, selling it, or sending it to picknpull. The truck is in poor condition (in my opinion although I've seen worse)

TRUCK:

THE BAD

^ Only on the right door

The truck was in the garage for almost 7 years, after the steering box/brakes went out dad stopped using it. The truck was occasionally turned on, and the truck would turn on without a problem, even though the truck was only turned on once in a wile (about every 3 months). Last week we turned on the truck, a few mins later truck backfired and sadly it hasn't turned on since then, the ONLY way to get it running a few seconds is by adding fuel directly in the carburetor which will only make the engine run for about 5-10 seconds.

Now I honestly don't know what to do!, I LOVE the truck, but I don't know if its worth it, what do you guys think?
Whatever you can get from Pick-n-Pull....I'll double it. Seriously.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:38 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
In reality, you're the only one who can make that decision. There are a lot of factors you have to consider, the number one is your own financial situation. Second would be just how far do you want to go, a truck to knock around in, a nice weekend cruiser, a full body off resto. How much work can you do, how much will need to be farmed out. What level of quality is acceptable to you. All of these have drastic effects on the cost.
The next issue is the time frame. The faster it needs to be done, the more it's going to cost (I've been working on mine for years, I figure by the time I'm finished with it, it should be free). If this is a long term project it can be less expensive because you have time to "shop around".
In my opinion it doesn't look that bad.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 AM
lamar804
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aztec209
Truck:

TRUCK:

THE BAD

^ Only on the right door

If you decide to part it out, I'm interested in the door panels, seat upholstery, headliner, and the brown dash pad! What state are you in?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:22 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
From the looks of it... I agree with Mike. My truck is in just as bad (if not worse) condition as yours & I'm in the process of saving mine.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:22 AM
74 F350 SCS
Elder User
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
In reality, you're the only one who can make that decision. There are a lot of factors you have to consider, the number one is your own financial situation. Second would be just how far do you want to go, a truck to knock around in, a nice weekend cruiser, a full body off resto. How much work can you do, how much will need to be farmed out. What level of quality is acceptable to you. All of these have drastic effects on the cost.
The next issue is the time frame. The faster it needs to be done, the more it's going to cost (I've been working on mine for years, I figure by the time I'm finished with it, it should be free). If this is a long term project it can be less expensive because you have time to "shop around".
I agree with what Mike says 100%. I certainly would NOT scrap it as the truck doesn't look that bad. At a minimum, if you have no interest in restoring it, then sell it to somebody that can use it or restore it. I hate to see these go to the scrapper.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:36 AM
spikinfool05
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will agree. its up to you. tilt wheel ranger xlt. lots of good stuff there.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 AM
alans77crew
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont forget its also a big block! everything you need to convert a 4x4 except perches and mounts

Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Naw you should just get rid of it...And send it to me!

If your Dad gave it to ya you have 0 dollars into it to start so your way ahead of the dollars game.

Take that money buy a welder...Ask lots of questions if needed...Dont jump into it thinking you'll be done in a few months take your time and have some fun you'll learn a skill and have a sweet ride when your done.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see lots of parts I could use.... :-). Whatever you do, don't scrap it! Seriously, if your dad gave it to you think about what that means to your relationship.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM
79F150Seattle
Senior User
This could be a good chance for you and your dad to spend some time together working on her.

If you keep it then start on stopping the rust. sounds like the carb needs rebuilt from sitting so long, maybe $30 to $40 for that. These old trucks don't cost a lot for parts. Some you can get from junk yards.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Aztec209
New User
Money and time isn't the problem here, If I were to fix/restore the truck, I would be looking at a full body/engine restoration, whats holding me back is were I live, If start doing any kind of work to the truck, the owner/manager would hunt me down , and to make matters worse, they told me I can't have the truck sitting there anymore! I would take the truck back to my Dad's place and begin restoring it but sadly he doesn't have room anymore.

dont forget its also a big block! everything you need to convert a 4x4 except perches and mounts
I would LOVE that

Now, I've found 2 images, that's similar how I would like my truck to look:

IF I start restoring it, does anyone know how much the engine weights? I honestly don't want to buy a weak engine stand. Body work isn't a problem, the problem would be engine work, In school I only took a 2 year class...

Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
You might not be able to work on it at this time. ..Put plates on it and they cant say crap with it sitting.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Evan's F250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kobaltblue
You might not be able to work on it at this time. ..Put plates on it and they cant say crap with it sitting.
X2. It looks like a great candidate for a resto. Looks pretty good to me, not much rust in my opinion, but I'm from indiana. Lol rust belt. As far as it not running, sounds like gummed up fuel. Drop the tank, clean it out or buy new, change fuel filter, put on new fuel lines if needed, and possibly a new fuel pump. You could have that thing running in a day or two. Get it running, then drive to your dads place & work on the resto together.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
gpence
Elder User
Hahahaha they wanted $15,000 for that truck last time I looked at it a few years ago. They still have it? For some reason it wouldn't surprise me if so

Quick Reply: 1979 F250 Worth Restoring?