1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

A classic car enthusiasts dream (Come True)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:32 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
A classic car enthusiasts dream (Come True)

Here's the story. I show up to work today and my good buddy Dave tells me that he found a car lift in new condition for a unreal price. We chat a bit and another friend shows up so all three of us are talking about it. We call our boss (The guy who owns our shop and lets us play) to ask if he would be OK with having a lift in the shop. Our boss says OK so myself Dave head off to go see this lift about a mile from our shop.

We pull into this parking lot that is kinda overgrown with some old Chevy trucks that have been sitting there for a while and the building looks pretty neglected on the outside. We walk through a small dusty office and into the shop. From there I could see about a half dozen or so classic cars. Some are just a shell others are more complete. The garage was huge, As I walked around I would turn a corner and there would be more cars, tools, equipment and lots and lots of parts. I would say maybe 20 cars and trucks in all. There's even classic car nostalgia on the walls. I'm in heaven.

Turns out the guy who owns the shop is in the classic car resoration business and has several other locations and he is downsizing his operation so years ago he closed this shop but would rent out the space to guys who just wanted some space to work on their projects for cheap. Finally I guess he had enough of the expense and is cleaning out the shop. Some of the cars are his but most of them belong to the hobbyists. The owner can put a lean on the cars but he is a real nice guy and will be towing all the cars back to the owners on his dime.

I was a kid in a candy store, there where no Dents but all the cars and equipment kept me drooling. Here's our new lift, We will be back later next week to take it apart and transport it back to our shop.

Here's a row of classics.

Most of thees cars haven't been touched in years.

Whats under here I wonder.... I lift the car cover and take a peek. It's a late 60's Chevelle work in progress!

OOoo What's this? OMG its a Shelby!!!!! (I fall over backwards)

Here's another project car with many years of dust on it.

Holly Molly its a Vette!!!! With a powder coated frame with new hardware right next to it! My head is spinning....

I did say lots of parts, Engines everywhere, odds and ends, Raw steel stock, Steel tubing. Am I dreaming?

Test equipment. I'm dizzy....

Oh what a nice find....

I was chatting with another guy there and he told me that he has a 74 Super Cab in mint condition in his barn. It's been there for years. He told me that it has no rust, dents, engine problems and it's all original. I told him that I can only do one truck at a time but I will forward the info to the group when I get some pics and data.

When I go back to get the lift I'll see if I can help him clean out his shop, I will be taking the Candy Cane to work!

Then on the way home later that day I reflect on my find and look out beyond the highway and enjoy the beautiful day we had.

Stay tuned guys and gals!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cant wait to here about the super cab. Id love to have a no smog truck. Very cool

Old 10-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Howell05
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCORE! OMG I can't believe people just let those awesome cars sit.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
imagine

would'nt it be nice.just a couple roaring American classics! California, dreams about the west back east. cool Steve

Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Howell05
SCORE! OMG I can't believe people just let those awesome cars sit.
Some of these cars are hardship cases, owners who hit hard times or family, personal issues. Others are just neglected. However there where a few that are cared for and from the looks of it the owners are attentive, they will just need to ramp it up as the shop owner wants to be out by January.

I just have to say that the shop owner really gave these guys a good deal, from what I hear they paid around $100 a month rent and they had a full garage with all the equipment they need to work on their rides. Apparently there where a few bad apples that took advantage of his kindness and that's a real shame. The shop owner is a big guy with a heart as big as he is, he's not even seeking to lean any of the cars despite some of theis guys owing him money.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:56 AM
crrnchris
Senior User
I love it! Too bad it dwindled away to neglect. I always say to friends "how cool would it be to rent a huge warehouse" and we all put our tools and toys in it. Something to do all winter in the Boston area. I would love to get my hands on a couple of those cars!

It sure looks like fun in there! Good luck with the lift.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
Apparently there where a few bad apples that took advantage of his kindness and that's a real shame. The shop owner is a big guy with a heart as big as he is, he's not even seeking to lean any of the cars despite some of theis guys owing him money.
It's a shame when people do that but, in today's world, it's pretty much to be expected....sad.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
These places are out there. If you're lucky you'll stumble across one.
I live about 14 miles north of Haines City, there's a diesel repair shop there that I've been by literally hundreds of times, never thought anything about it, just a run down, dilapidated junkyard complete with the required junkyard dog.
Just by chance I mentioned it to one of my neighbors, he started laughing and said "You've never been in there have you? I said "no". He said "let's go, I've got something to show you".
My neighbor and the owner are old friends. Here's a little of what's inside the fence.

Attached Images        
Old 10-27-2012, 12:05 PM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Mike you can hijack my thread anytime. There are indeed a few of those shops around. They are pretty cool. In fact the movie by John carpenter "christen" the kid rents space from just this kind of shop.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Howell05
Freshman User
Holy crap what wouldn't give for a few of those cars.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Bradslab
Freshman User
It's nice to know that there are still a few gold mines around today. What I'd do to find a gem in a barn, untouched for 20+ years. Great job on the lift though, I know I wish I had one!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:11 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bradslab
Great job on the lift though, I know I wish I had one!
X2 on the lift.
Here are a few more from the "junkyard".

Attached Images        
Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
RWENUTS
Senior User

I've run into a few of those unknown places too. And in some of the most unusual places. These from a small island in the pacific.

Attached Images      
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
I only hope I have money in hand when/if I find one of those places.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by NBC-Steve
OOoo What's this? OMG its a Shelby!!!!! (I fall over backwards)

Here's another project car with many years of dust on it.

Absolutely love the fastback Mustangs! My dad had a couple ...my mom totaled them.

Quick Reply: A classic car enthusiasts dream (Come True)