Running UATF how to reduce smoke

Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
twom7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running UATF how to reduce smoke

I started running UATF about two months ago, and I cut it 90/10 so 10%diesel. I am getting alot of smoke, and I was wondering what other folks have done to reduce smoke. I have read on the PSD forum to cut it more either 50/50 or 60/40 in order to reduce the amount of smoke. I would like to keep the higher percentage if possible like 75/25%. So, any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by twom7
I started running UATF about two months ago, and I cut it 90/10 so 10%diesel. I am getting alot of smoke, and I was wondering what other folks have done to reduce smoke. I have read on the PSD forum to cut it more either 50/50 or 60/40 in order to reduce the amount of smoke. I would like to keep the higher percentage if possible like 75/25%. So, any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.
Cut it with gasoline. Use 10-15% to reduce the viscosity and improve atomization in the combustion chamber / pre-chamber.

Also, let the UATF settle for a few days after adding the RUG, then run it through your filtering setup and into the truck.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Some are using water injection to reduce coking in the combustion chamber and subsequently reduce the smoke screen effect. I believe it is likely the poor combustion characteristics of ATF/WMO that causes the smoke and carbon build-up... This stuff was never meant to be burned in this type of engine and the emissions are terrible. LOTS of folks have figured this out the hard way, but few ever come back on the forums and report the carnage.

Keep us posted!!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 PM
sand1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i ran 100% uatf with no smoke in my 2000 powerstroke i also added a bottle of diesel clean to everytank are u sure its pure atf it might have motor oil mixed in it

Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Some people also claim to get 30mpg in a PSD...

Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 PM
twom7
Senior User
I am not sure if it is pure UATF...

I have been experimenting and increasing the percentage of diesel fuel added to the tank, and if I run 40% diesel it does reduce the smoke. I may be forced to stay with a 60/40% mix. I was trying to run with more like an 80% UATF/20% diesel, but it smokes more than I want especially when in a big city like Austin, Tx. I am still experimenting with the percentages to see where I can find a middle ground solution. If anyone has tried any of this I would enjoy your feedback. My PSD only gets about 18 mpg, and it would be nice to get more mpg...I have never heard of anyone getting 30 mpg. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I was being facetious about 30mpg.

I have been following threads about WMO/ATF on various forums for years. There are (2) common themes - they all smoke and very few report 'long term' success. All the guys I've seen preaching the gospel for any amount of time eventually stop posting and I've personal met a handful of people who had problems from trashed injectors to engine failures due to severe coking. I suspect the lost 'WMO prophets' suffered the same fate.

My advice is choose wisely, or post pics of the carnage.

Once upon a time, I would have encouraged you to consider a WVO conversion - since this has a very proven track record for success. Saving money is a sure bet. However, nowadays the WVO can cost 1/2 as much as diesel - so the ROI for a good conversion gets pushed out pretty far.......

Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
twom7
Senior User
I have several friends that are using both WVO and UATF

I have a friend in San Antonio that owns restaurants and he is using his WVO from his restaurants to run his F250 and he has been doing this for 7 years now. I have another friend in central Texas that owns a diesel mechanic business and he runs a fleet of F250, F350, F450, and F550 using UATF and he has been doing this for over 4 years now. I am doing it on a much smaller scale, but I am still experimenting with what mix produces the least amount of smoke. I know that a 50/50% mixture would produce very little smoke, so I just need to keep at it until I have more info. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I have a friend in San Antonio that owns restaurants and he is using his WVO from his restaurants to run his F250 and he has been doing this for 7 years now. I have another friend in central Texas that owns a diesel mechanic business and he runs a fleet of F250, F350, F450, and F550 using UATF and he has been doing this for over 4 years now. I am doing it on a much smaller scale, but I am still experimenting with what mix produces the least amount of smoke. I know that a 50/50% mixture would produce very little smoke, so I just need to keep at it until I have more info. Thanks.
I have been meaning to call you but I have been so busy lately it is not funny.

Have you at all tried a blend of 90/10 WATF/RUG? Work your way up on the RUG if necessary and stop when you see the results you want. Also check out the WMO tunes for the PSD. Google it and you will find some info. The tunes advance the timing and fuel delivery rate which seems to help a lot of guys running WMO. It's worth a read.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by eatont9999
The tunes advance the timing and fuel delivery rate which seems to help a lot of guys running WMO. It's worth a read.
Of course it may do that at the expense of the engine...

Too much timing is a bad thing. Choose your tuner carefully.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 PM
twom7
Senior User
Eaton I was waiting to test the unleaded and WATF

I wanted to visit with you on the phone to find out what has been working for you, and how long you have been using it, etc. I am currently running 60% WATF and 40% diesel which still smokes a little, but I am interested in what percentages have been working for you. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I wanted to visit with you on the phone to find out what has been working for you, and how long you have been using it, etc. I am currently running 60% WATF and 40% diesel which still smokes a little, but I am interested in what percentages have been working for you. Thanks.
I can't give you a true to form answer right now because I am not running this stuff on the truck. I run it in my Mercedes 300SD and that is only when I can get it. Even if I did run it in my truck, I have an IDI and you have a PSD. Very different animals. The PSD should be able to burn it cleaner, though given the the higher pressure injection system.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Some people also claim to get 30mpg in a PSD...
Hey I think I got around 26-27 mpg once (but I literally had a 50 knot tailwind and it was not a fun drive,,,)

Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
twom7
Senior User
Eaton so what percentage are you running?

What percentage of RUG/WATF have you experimented with?? I know you are running it in a Mercedes, and you are right the PSD will run it fine. I am looking for any feedback on what percentage has worked best for you, and also what percentage gives you less exhaust smoke. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
What percentage of RUG/WATF have you experimented with?? I know you are running it in a Mercedes, and you are right the PSD will run it fine. I am looking for any feedback on what percentage has worked best for you, and also what percentage gives you less exhaust smoke. Thanks.
With WMO, I don't get much more smoke than normal with an 15/85 mix of RUG/WMO. If you have a steady supply of this stuff, you can experiment in small batches. You can also use a hydrometer to get the mix closer to the viscosity of D2. It does not have to be as thin but close should net good results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running UATF how to reduce smoke