6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil system upgrades/maintenance - let's get the info together!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:03 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything else I might be missing here? I'm going to start ordering stuff soon!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Lilpooh
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you thought about an oil bypass filter system?

How about a UOA?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Lilpooh
Have you thought about an oil bypass filter system?

How about a UOA?
The bypass system seems to be a waste on these trucks and they are not made for extended drain intervals. I will do a uoa once I've got everything done, but yes, that is a good idea as well.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
I just replaced my turbo feed tube and oil pressure gauge (OPG).
I had to take the tube off to get to the OPG so I upgraded it.

If you have the braided feed tube, it's recommended you upgrade.
The OPG would frequently indicate no oil pressure and
make my "check gage" lite come on. My OPG sensor
wire was soaked with oil and it's a common problem with this gauge.

It was a PITA to get to this sensor once it's back on the engine.
it's only $30 at your local ford dealer.
Was the turbo feed tube an updated part? I do see some of the early trucks you have the replace the oil cooler cover to use the updated feed tube but that shouldn't be a problem for an 06 from what I see.

As far as I can tell no trucks came from the factory with the updated dummy plugs or stand pipes, same with the STC fitting update. These were parts that were revised later down the road so these are upgrades for any 6.0 Powerstroke. Also, from what I see there is an updated IPR screen and oil cooler screen?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:18 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Alright, went to Wal-Mart and picked up 4 jugs of Rotella T-6 along with a Motorcraft filter. Also, I ordered 3 bottles of Rev-X (two for first oil change, 1 for every oil change after) from Pure Diesel Performance. Lastly, I ordered my Fumoto F-111 oil drain valve from a seller on eBay. On Monday I'll be stopping into Ford to pick up a new oil filter cap. The plan is to get all that stuff out of the way first before I tear into the motor, that way all the new parts going in will have a fresh start as well, plus the truck is due for an oil change.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
In case you don't know, the 6.0 retains 3 to 4 qts. of existing oil when doing an oil change, therefore you will not be getting all of your additives out when you do the oil change/ flush.
Reservoir holds a little less than a quart.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:35 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Anything else guys? Any other maintenance or mods or updated parts that should be installed?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
I see you didn't add the updated turbo oil feed and drain lines, I guess you have already done those? Also on the oil, HotShot secret or RevX might help if it's running crappy when cold, it's just not a flush thing, or a permanent fix. You should get a new HPO resivour screen with the oil cooler install kit but you may want to verify with whoever you order from. Be SURE you have a correct oil filter housing cap and proper filter and inspect the bypass button (and all the plastic bits) very closely while you have the oil cooler cover off and apart. If you don't have a good torque wrench now would be an excellent time to buy or borrow one.
I also recommend building something to stand on, leaning over the front of you truck is gonna get old way before you finish the job.

Last edited by Rusty Axlerod; 10-28-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Add
Old 10-28-2012, 11:14 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I see you didn't add the updated turbo oil feed and drain lines, I guess you have already done those? Also on the oil, HotShot secret or RevX might help if it's running crappy when cold, it's just not a flush thing, or a permanent fix. You should get a new HPO resivour screen with the oil cooler install kit but you may want to verify with whoever you order from. Be SURE you have a correct oil filter housing cap and proper filter and inspect the bypass button (and all the plastic bits) very closely while you have the oil cooler cover off and apart. If you don't have a good torque wrench now would be an excellent time to buy or borrow one.
I also recommend building something to stand on, leaning over the front of you truck is gonna get old way before you finish the job.
I checked and found that I have the braided style hose still, so I will be installing those lines as well. I just added them to the list on page 1. I figure I'll give the Rev-X a shot and see how it goes. I'm going to be getting a new oil filter cap from Ford and I already have a new OEM filter as well. I'll make sure to check about the HPO screen too when I order my oil cooler stuff and make sure to inspect the oil cooler cover. I've got a 3/8" inch lb. and ft. lb. torque wrench and can borrow a nice 1/2" ft. lb. one as well. I hear ya on the stand. I hated working at the Ford dealer and not having one of the top-side creepers to use.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Anyone new to this thread make sure to read the list on the first page as I am updating it as we go along. Like the cooling system thread though I believe we've about got it wrapped up!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW,

I was at the dealer to get parts for my Ford Powered standby Generator (I bleed Ford blue) and I picked this up;

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...SCAN0364-1.jpg

I was planning to go BPD.................

Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 PM
daddykitty
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scare tactics

Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 2112
FWIW,

I was at the dealer to get parts for my Ford Powered standby Generator (I bleed Ford blue) and I picked this up;

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...SCAN0364-1.jpg

I was planning to go BPD.................
Combustion temps increase with an EGR delete... LOL

Josh

Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Combustion temperatures do rise without exhaust gas recirculation - don't start bragging about not drinking Kool Aide on this one. It is widely used in the Power Industry as well. Exhaust gas or Flue gas recirculation systems came into existance to control NOx emissions by reducing the combustion temperatures due to the presence of a higher mass ratio of inert gas (ie already combusted exhaust gasses). In boilers, it is a safer technology than low NOx burners (an most people didn't want an ammonia tank (SCT or Selective Catalytic Reduction)

I will say that as far as emissions testing goes, some people have passed with EGR deletes, and some people haven't ..... says something about the testing methods and that the limits to pass are fairly lax. I would highly doubt that anyone has failed with an aftermarket EGR cooler!

Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Here's another thought for you concerning EGR operation and secondary air injection - my 2002 S4 has neither of these and is a manual transmission. BUT if you look at an automatic S4 of the same year it has an EGR AND secondary air injection. Why? Who the hell knows? It's the SAME exact engine, no differences besides emissions control devices. Doesn't make any sense to me. If that car is good enough to not need emissions devices like an EGR but the automatic does, then who's to say our trucks need it? I'll take my chances and delete my EGR and cooler.

Quick Reply: Oil system upgrades/maintenance - let's get the info together!