1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new truck- oiling undercarriage

Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM
jbrianas
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new truck- oiling undercarriage

just getting new truck,,, u guys get them sprayed oil under when new?

anything better?

ty

Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
fluid flim works pretty good.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say fluid film also especially on a new truck,,,I started spraying the drain oil on my 06' F-350 2 years ago,,,and it looks pretty good under there,,,Just sprayed it again last week,,,going back today to lower the spare tire and coat that area and the inside of the bumper,,, i also spray the inside of the doors, tailgate and reach up and above the rear fender wells and just soak those areas till the drain oil drips out both side (front and rear),,,If you reach way up in the fender well,,you can feel foam in there,,,That what I like to soak in oil,,,so far my bed looks great,,,other then a few scrapes and dings

Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts
I been spraying my truck with oil also. I have a fair amount of suface rust so that's why. I believe the oil gets places the fluid film doesn't. I can spray most of the inner front fenders! I say go for it, but I would consider the fluid film because it's a new truck. Heck use the fluid film on the door jambs and the oil underneath?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why don't you guys apply heavy underbody sealer and oil where you can't get it?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 PM
jbrianas
Senior User
what is underbody sealer? just rubberized undercoating spray?

i do use fluidfilm on a lotta stuff, but honestly i dont think it really sticks around any longer than regular oil, can it be sprayed thru a regular paint gun?

that might make it a bit easier and more cost effective compared to aeresol cans

Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM
bones0351
Freshman User
Relatively new o the diesels here, what is fluid flim, and oil spray?
Oil spray I think is spraying used motor oil on the underside of your truck for rust prevention? What kind of equipment do you need? And doesn't that make a hug mess?

Thanks and sorry for any derailment.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jbrianas
what is underbody sealer? just rubberized undercoating spray?

i do use fluidfilm on a lotta stuff, but honestly i dont think it really sticks around any longer than regular oil, can it be sprayed thru a regular paint gun?

that might make it a bit easier and more cost effective compared to aeresol cans
That heavy black stuff that some auto factories spray under vehicles.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bones0351
Oil spray I think is spraying used motor oil on the underside of your truck for rust prevention? What kind of equipment do you need? And doesn't that make a hug mess?

fluid film is a special spray like WD40 or PB Blaster, oil spray is taking your old used motor oil and spraying it all over your undercarriage of the truck

Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
fluid film is a special spray like WD40 or PB Blaster, oil spray is taking your old used motor oil and spraying it all over your undercarriage of the truck
Sounds like a fancy name for some cheap oil they have. You can get "special oil" for almost anything but it's pretty much all just oil.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM
69jwatson
Junior User
you can also use what I did on the cab floor and fender wells. It is a single coat coverage rubberized spray.

http://cleanerchemicals.com/superflex

Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 AM
McFarlandkm
Senior User
Fluid film is a very effective corrosion prevention product. It's lanolin based and kind of foams when applied and penetrates well. One pit fall is that once it dries you need to wipe off before you reapply for continued protection. Other wise you can trap moisture and dirt underneath. I use this product allot at work for protecting helicopters that we hover over the ocean at ten feet for about six hours per day. Our choppers are almost thirty years old with almost 15k hours on them.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bones0351

I bolded the part that no one has answered since I wonder the same. Oil is pretty thick, what are you all using to spray it?

I really wanted to do something with my new truck right off the lot but there was no consesus on what was best and I didn't have money for any professional job. Now its got over 50k on it. But since I still plan on keeping it till it falls apart I'd like to do soemthing for rust protection.

I'm also curious about the last thing Bones said too, doesn't it make a huge mess? I wouldnt want to track used oil all over my garage, do you just let it set out a while or do non of you use garages?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
lol, lots of rust threads popping up now.

I always have and always will spray my vehicles I care about with diesel waste oil. It works so I do it. I live in the rust belt and HATE rust, oil is the best to get everywhere! POR-15 or eastwoods chassis black is great for stuff you can get at!

Oiled:

Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Blue Jay
Junior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
lol, lots of rust threads popping up now.

I always have and always will spray my vehicles I care about with diesel waste oil. It works so I do it. I live in the rust belt and HATE rust, oil is the best to get everywhere! POR-15 or eastwoods chassis black is great for stuff you can get at!

Oiled:

Looks good. Just what do use to apply the oil?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new truck- oiling undercarriage