6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

R U THINKING ABOUT DELETING AND IT'S IMPACT, READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
MrAutoPilot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's also difficult to decide which delete kits and which tuner program to go with. I want to delete but the horsepower gains are secondary for me. I'll take mild gains and durability over large gains in power (I have a '77 for the fun stuff).

Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Big Dub
Freshman User
I've been doing research on the delete, as I too am more concerned about durability than high horsepower. I had just about sold myself on the DPF-R, but then read that it requires all of the exhaust sensors to remain in place, or at least hooked up to the wire harness.

So now I'm thinking spartan or mini maxx but wondering if it's worth nearly twice the cost if I don't need the high horsepower tunes. Also, for the guys with the DPF-R delete, what area you using for gauges?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:12 PM
MrAutoPilot
New User
I've seen kits with and without bungs for sensors. I would just assume keep them so I can go back to OEM if need be.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Big Dub
Freshman User
IIRC, spartan and mini maxx eliminate the need to keep the sensors on the truck and most guys are leaving them in the DPF when they remove it, DPF-R requires that they remain. So my thought is that these sensors will eventually go bad and will need to be replaced to turn off the CEL....wrong?

Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAutoPilot
I've seen kits with and without bungs for sensors. I would just assume keep them so I can go back to OEM if need be.
If you do a delete with a tuner that requires you keep the sensors you have to buy a delete pipe with sensor holes and put the sensors in the pipe. If you get a tuner that doesn't need the sensors you keep the sensors in your stock pipe, take it off and put it somewhere safe. Hook up your delete pipe and if you need to go back to stock you just switch pipes and plug in the sensors.
Some tuners have gauges, others do not, pro's and con's of each system.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Delta2142
Senior User
Very convincing!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
The high dollar tuners have a few other goodies. They have several tunes to choose from should you have a desire to embarass your son in his souped up Honda. They also have a bunch of gauges from which you can choose to display 4 or more in a very nice color display. And, they have the means to read most codes that the truck might throw. I'm not sure about Spartan but H&S mini and black max turn off the EGR. I don't know if we missed anything else but that should explain the extra cost. Well, that plus the fact that H&S and Edge have quit building tuners for deleted installations. So, if you can't find an H&S at a speed shop or used I guess it's a Spartan. Oh yeah, there's a recent thread about H&S near here. I think it's titled "H&S lives" or something like that. Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 AM
Delta2142
Senior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
The high dollar tuners have a few other goodies. They have several tunes to choose from should you have a desire to embarass your son in his souped up Honda. They also have a bunch of gauges from which you can choose to display 4 or more in a very nice color display. And, they have the means to read most codes that the truck might throw. I'm not sure about Spartan but H&S mini and black max turn off the EGR. I don't know if we missed anything else but that should explain the extra cost. Well, that plus the fact that H&S and Edge have quit building tuners for deleted installations. So, if you can't find an H&S at a speed shop or used I guess it's a Spartan. Oh yeah, there's a recent thread about H&S near here. I think it's titled "H&S lives" or something like that. Hope this helps.
I decided on the gearbox-z it will do what's needed and I already have a Edge Evolution tuner. 75,000 miles on my truck and I fear the results I get from Blackstone. My Oil has been changed every 3-5 K miles So I hope for the beat and try to do the right thing.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Delta2142
Senior User
This is a must read for new members. So I have to resurrect it. Forgive me

Old 05-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Jay Sehi
New User
Another new guy here...
Just bought a used 2010 F-250 Extended Cab, with 35k miles, the cruse didn't work so I dropped it off at Ford, the 3 year part expired on the 18th of May, dropped the truck off on the 21st. The dealership stated, "too bad" you'll have the pay...
So with having less than 36k on the 2010, what warranty stuff is lost when doing this delete? At this point I am thinking that I will have to foot any and all costs with problems, and not getting any support from the dealership, so why not do the delete...
I am not looking for power, just fuel mileage, I am impressed with the power as it is. So the power gain from the delete would be a bonus not counted on, while just staying at or near stock programing with the delete...
So, back to the question, what is lost from the warranty stand point if a delete is completed???

Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Sehi
Another new guy here...
Just bought a used 2010 F-250 Extended Cab, with 35k miles, the cruse didn't work so I dropped it off at Ford, the 3 year part expired on the 18th of May, dropped the truck off on the 21st. The dealership stated, "too bad" you'll have the pay...
So with having less than 36k on the 2010, what warranty stuff is lost when doing this delete? At this point I am thinking that I will have to foot any and all costs with problems, and not getting any support from the dealership, so why not do the delete...
I am not looking for power, just fuel mileage, I am impressed with the power as it is. So the power gain from the delete would be a bonus not counted on, while just staying at or near stock programing with the delete...
So, back to the question, what is lost from the warranty stand point if a delete is completed???
You have 5year 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and various supporting devices, depending on your dealer that would/could be gone. Many have deleted without regard to the warranty to rid the truck of the DPF, you have to make that decision on your own. Do a lot of reading and make a decision your comfortable with.
BTW, welcome, between the 6.4 section and the Superduty section of this site you will know everything on these trucks, just search and read!