Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Seriously torn right now....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up a motor off CL... Paid $800 for it. Sold everything I didnt need, in it $400...

Been in there for over 3 years, and 50k... Most of that at 400hp...

I will pick up another one when the time comes...

Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 PM
JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
but did you rebuild it? Im looking at it as yea, i may pay save 3 grand in buying one off craigslist but its like roulette, may be perfect, may be junk, and if its the junk route, then ive only wasted that money and put myself into a tougher situation because now ive used my leave that i had to fight like hell to take and got essentially nothing accomplished. Ive weighed every option and it was tough to come to this decision but this is the only way i can guarantee everything will go according to schedule

I mean trust me id love to go the route of just having mine rebuilt or buying one off CL or a similar site, but ive seen good and bad things come from that, its just a risk and i cant say luck will be on my side, if you get where im coming from.

Maybe ill do some CL browsing tonight and see whats out there right now.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm ok makes a lot of sense. As far as the new internals in the heads, Look into a set of comp springs. Not sure how much stock springs run, but theres a chance the comp 910's might be cheaper, and they are a better spring if shimmed correctly.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I know you are pretty set on the injectors from rosewood, but if you look around some tuners who also sell injectors will offer free tunes with purchase of injectors. Might be worth it to look into.

Honestly I think you'll be fine. If its in your budget, go with the stage 2 injectors. Worst case scenario your HPOP doesnt completely keep up, but you will be plenty happy even if it doesnt keep up completely.

As far as finding a running engine, it may be worth it to check the classified on the other forums. I know I've seen a couple for sale. A lot of times ones that are being sold on these forums are simply extras that other enthusiasts bought to either build up, or in case their blew. Sometimes you can find ones that have nothing wrong with them, but the person is selling it because they are getting out of the game and no longer want a 900lb hunk of iron taking up space.

My time for fun is up for the day, but feel free to PM me with any questions. If you do I may even be able to point you in the direction of some good quality running engines for sale.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Talyn
The best part is, I've said the mean hurtful ****.
He's actually the one correcting you because you don't know your *** from a hole in the ground.
Go back and read this entire thread. When did I do anything or say anything that would suggest I was trying to know anything other than the price and cost of injectors? You're not going to find it because I never once did. I even acknowledged that with the possible bigger nozzles on the injectors that that could account for the cost which indeed it turned out was right.

Other than that concerning the bigger turbo to assist with the bigger injectors is the truth. I'm not the only one who knows this, you yourself do. Bigger injectors certainly add more power but with a bigger turbo comes the real "fun" benefit. Whooptie doo! That's it. And I posted a link to a diesel shop.

You're putting meaning to something which means nothing at all as it was never there to begin with. There was never a technical debate and no argument or know it all on this end.

Anyways, that was fun for a little while.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe I think I might have found the discrepancy in our different views.....are you talking about everyday driving in a mild or stockish tune?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by Talyn
Ziggy with 689HP RRE 2012 - YouTube Here you go nonbeliver.
700hp on a STOCK hpop.

To idiot check myself.
It might have been an OLD modded 17.
Huge difference between old modded 17 and t-500.
HUGE.

Even then, we are talking 2 times the horse power this guys truck is going to be making.
So...
Yeah.

Will a bigger Hpop benefit him?
Probably not.
Does it benefit us OBS guys?
Hell yes.
if a 17* stock pump is enough why are you running a t500?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
but did you rebuild it? Im looking at it as yea, i may pay save 3 grand in buying one off craigslist but its like roulette, may be perfect, may be junk, and if its the junk route, then ive only wasted that money and put myself into a tougher situation because now ive used my leave that i had to fight like hell to take and got essentially nothing accomplished. Ive weighed every option and it was tough to come to this decision but this is the only way i can guarantee everything will go according to schedule

I mean trust me id love to go the route of just having mine rebuilt or buying one off CL or a similar site, but ive seen good and bad things come from that, its just a risk and i cant say luck will be on my side, if you get where im coming from.

Maybe ill do some CL browsing tonight and see whats out there right now.
Nope. Cleaned it, painted it and put my crap on it.

Didnt do a damn thing (other then cups a week after I installed it...)

Been there for over 50k now. I will never buy another "built" motor...

Originally Posted by indyF-350psd
Joe I think I might have found the discrepancy in our different views.....are you talking about everyday driving in a mild or stockish tune?
Yes. I drive around every day with 250/200's and NOT one single wish for more HPO.

The only reason I will upgrade the HPOP is when mine goes, to go to a SRP1.1, and simply because it offers a lifetime warranty.

My daily driver tune is right at 400hp... Same tune I pull my Trailer in.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
alright.....I was referring to an all out tune with the 2's and the stock turbo....also in that aspect with regards to the oil capabilities.....generally those are the terms I reference since it would be silly in my opinion to be able to work those sticks in a stockish tune but not be able to dial them up for fear of exploding the stock turbo and crazy egt's......we are on the same page just talking about different ends.....

Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd
alright.....I was referring to an all out tune with the 2's and the stock turbo....also in that aspect with regards to the oil capabilities.....generally those are the terms I reference since it would be silly in my opinion to be able to work those sticks in a stockish tune but not be able to dial them up for fear of exploding the stock turbo and crazy egt's......we are on the same page just talking about different ends.....
I dynoed 512hp with a stock 17* HPO pump... Again, with almost 100cc MORE fuel then the OP is talking about running.

And again, the stock turbo will perform fine in all but the hottest tune with a set of 160/100 injectors. Same injectors that came in the HO version of the T444e... And... they run a stock turbo.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
JD,

Have you thought about finding a bargain engine that is supposedly running and pull your stuff off of yours, put it on the new one, and run it?

Heres my thinking. This all depends obviously on what the issue is with your current motor. Even if you find one that is running but not in the best condition, its better than one that isnt running. At the end of the day, if you find one that has good compression, pull all of your stuff off of yours (i.e. injectors, hpop, accessories and brackets, your harness, all your new sensors) and swap it in, you're miles ahead. Then you keep yours and you can build it up the way you want at your own pace. Then when you have it built the way you want, you can pull the craigslist one, install yours, and sell the craigslist one to recoup some of your money. That is the one thing about these engines, is there will constantly be a demand for them for the foreseeable future. Not only would this probably save you some money in the long run, but it would also give you the luxury of time in doing your build. I would think that that would be more valuable because it would allow you time to do it exactly how you want, on your schedule, and between deployments and on leave (thank you by the way for your service).

At least thats how I would go about it in your situation. If you can find an engine that is in running condition on craigslist, you are effectively buying yourself a lot of time as far as your build goes. Anyone that you are buying an engine from should not have a problem with you checking compression prior to purchase. From my understanding, checking compression would be as simple as putting it on a stand, getting the right fittings, pulling the glow plugs and cranking it over by hand with your compression tested hooked up.

Check out harbor freight for a compression tester, then do a search on here and other forums for the procedures to build the correct adapter. If I had more time I would dig up the thread on here, maybe someone with a bit more time right now could do that for me, if not I'll find it when I get home from work tonight.

This would spread out your spending, and like I said allow you to work at your own pace instead of rushing to get it all built up. Not sure how much you drive your truck, but even if the engine you buy and put in lasts for only 20K, chances are you'll at least buy yourself a year. Seems like a smart purchase to me.

Like I said, PM me your contact info and I'll get on the horn tomorrow and see what I can do about finding a trust worthy source for a used engine in your general area. Also, why dont you enlighten us as to what the matter is with your current engine.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gentlemen, Enough is enough, lets let it all lay by the wayside and get this back on track. I am going to clean up this thread because I do not feel like issuing infractions for the numerous insults and demeaning comments that were posted here. If it continues that will be another story.

Thank You for your cooperation

Old 10-16-2012, 06:54 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
JD,

Have you thought about finding a bargain engine that is supposedly running and pull your stuff off of yours, put it on the new one, and run it?

Heres my thinking. This all depends obviously on what the issue is with your current motor. Even if you find one that is running but not in the best condition, its better than one that isnt running. At the end of the day, if you find one that has good compression, pull all of your stuff off of yours (i.e. injectors, hpop, accessories and brackets, your harness, all your new sensors) and swap it in, you're miles ahead. Then you keep yours and you can build it up the way you want at your own pace. Then when you have it built the way you want, you can pull the craigslist one, install yours, and sell the craigslist one to recoup some of your money. That is the one thing about these engines, is there will constantly be a demand for them for the foreseeable future. Not only would this probably save you some money in the long run, but it would also give you the luxury of time in doing your build. I would think that that would be more valuable because it would allow you time to do it exactly how you want, on your schedule, and between deployments and on leave (thank you by the way for your service).

At least thats how I would go about it in your situation. If you can find an engine that is in running condition on craigslist, you are effectively buying yourself a lot of time as far as your build goes. Anyone that you are buying an engine from should not have a problem with you checking compression prior to purchase. From my understanding, checking compression would be as simple as putting it on a stand, getting the right fittings, pulling the glow plugs and cranking it over by hand with your compression tested hooked up.

Check out harbor freight for a compression tester, then do a search on here and other forums for the procedures to build the correct adapter. If I had more time I would dig up the thread on here, maybe someone with a bit more time right now could do that for me, if not I'll find it when I get home from work tonight.

This would spread out your spending, and like I said allow you to work at your own pace instead of rushing to get it all built up. Not sure how much you drive your truck, but even if the engine you buy and put in lasts for only 20K, chances are you'll at least buy yourself a year. Seems like a smart purchase to me.

Like I said, PM me your contact info and I'll get on the horn tomorrow and see what I can do about finding a trust worthy source for a used engine in your general area. Also, why dont you enlighten us as to what the matter is with your current engine.
http://www.dieselbombers.com/ford-po...tml#post756619

Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Here's a printable PDF version of the link Joe posted.

7.3_Compression_Testing.pdf

Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
One thing to add to building that kit. Add a bit of locktight to the adapter to hold it onto the grease whip... Learned that after a few of them.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 PM
JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
Man are you guys great or what? I guess my stubborn hard headed butt didnt want to have faith in someone else but thanks to the brotherhood and some coercing from my step-father (a diesel mechanic of 33 years), a 2 hour phone call with him and some pm's with joe, ive seen the light.

Took me all of about 10minutes of looking through CL, PSN, and PSA, to find what i was looking for, which is someone that would back up a used motor. Found a fella on PSN selling some 99+ 7.3 motors out of ambulances (fleet maintained) with forged rods, all under 175k miles for $1600 complete drop in no-b/s guaranteed to run (or else ). Called this fella talked to him a good bit, and am getting a complete drop in (with working injectors and solid turbo which i can part out with the rest of the extra goodies). The kicker? Hes gonna haul it to my door, for nothing more than fuel expenses (400miles ish one way) from southern indiana.

Plan to just as joe put it "Clean it up paint and put my parts on it", and well see how this works out And btw i'll be ordering the 7.3 compression tester kit, but can you test the motor with it out? You just go through one of the glow-plug ports correct?(if i recall) Thats something id like to do before i even unload it from his truck if i can....

That being said sorry for pressing my stupidity button too hard, I was just being scared like a little girl and lacked faith in others I guess. You guys just saved me $3 grand right there alone, and **** even if it does need some work im sure itll be nothing i cant handle or overcome. Greatly appreciate all the advice and input, and now with a few extra saved dollars ill have in my pocket i cant start the funds for other upgrades (cough turbo cough).

Quick Reply: Seriously torn right now....