1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 6.2 Power Steering blown seal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 6.2 Power Steering blown seal?

Hey guys.. don't post often here but I've been a member since before I bought my '11 F250 XL. Had it almost 2 years now.

A couple of days ago I had to venture into the woods, on family-owned property, to investigate what I thought was someone hunting on my property. Little did I know what I was getting into.

Upon turning around the steering was gone. I had no power assist at idle, only when I either put it in neutral or if I was moving slightly with the RPM's up a little. After a night of rest, a cold start made things work perfectly until the system warmed.

The fluid dropped to the MIN level, so I added what the stealership gave me this morning. After my daily round trip drive of 20 miles (half city), It dropped from at the fill line to level with the bottom of it, and I had no luck as far as fixing it. I bled the system, still nothing. No indications of large leaks or anything.

Upon further investigation, I noticed a leak on the bottom of the pump, and at the other end of that line as well on the box (I'm guessing this isn't a return line). A few drops also came out of the top of the box at the threads on the same line, but given its location I'm guessing it's residual off of the pump. I noticed on the '11s anyway, they are fastened into the box with a threaded fitting, and the back of the pump has a metal line and something holding it tight, with one bolt on it as pictured.

Question is, if this is anything like other trucks, is this common? Are there seals in there? If so, is it possible that I blew one and it's letting air in the system?

Worse comes to worse I can bring it to the dealership, however after 20+ years of family business they decided to not fix my truck after 6 times for 4 issues. I really don't want to bring it a 7th With winter coming I need this truck to plow, otherwise it's going to be a long winter if it snows.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Forgot the picture lol

Line runs down, under, and back up around the coolant hose and goes to the box, on the left side. It has a tag on it that says "3"

Old 10-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Can you check it with the truck running. I would say either the line is leaking or the pump itself, I also see what appears to be oil on the pulley so it may be a bad pump shaft seal leaking also.

I know you dont want to go to the dealer but I would imagine that would be a warranty repair. Maybe try another dealer if they are close enough to ya.

Sarge

Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
We checked the top with it running and it was only a dripping leak... I didn't even notice it, my friend did. He turned the wheel and showed me, I can see where the fluid is but not it dripping. My theory is that it's leaking at the bottom of the pump, when it's warm its warm enough to be a slight leak but just enough to let enough air into the pump to lower pressure.

The steering almost locks up, as if I was turning it with the key on but the truck off. It also makes that typical ford whine, not really loud but lower pitched as if it's struggling.

I won't be able to bring it in until Monday though, I'm going to see if I can see where and how bad it's leaking tonight. If it's bad, it's going in.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
edit: checked again, this old post null

It's leaking out of there where I pictured and spraying at the pulley. Only sprayed on the full left lock, at idle it was a drip but with RPM it sprayed.

I'm losing my faith in my truck... I had a Ranger before this and actually abused it and never had any problems.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I wonder if the pump itself is bad. That looks to me like its aluminum, and the way its connected it looks like they way they do A/C lines. With the heat cycles that thing sees I can only image the seals in the line as well as the mating surface getting warped.

I wonder why they didnt go with the typical setup of a flared nut fitting on the pressure side.

Makes me wonder if the diesel pumps are the same as the gassers too.

Good Luck and make sure to follow up with what you found please.

Sarge

Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Menghi08LT
I'm losing my faith in my truck... I had a Ranger before this and actually abused it and never had any problems.
I'm not familiar with the problems you've had up until now, but try finding other cases with the same problem. I don't know of any, and I'd venture to say that this is a rare problem. Is your truck still under warranty?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Sarge, I'll keep this updated. I'm going to bring it in on Monday and tell them I've pinpointed the leak, they just have to fix it because of warranty. It should still be on one, granted I do my own oil (they know this... so did my dad) but it's only 27k miles. My biggest argument with this is the fact it's a 3/4 ton truck with everything heavy duty as I could have optioned it, and it broke doing the easiest thing. How do I know it's not going to break on me when I'm plowing with an 800lb plow?

Originally Posted by Crazy001
I'm not familiar with the problems you've had up until now, but try finding other cases with the same problem. I don't know of any, and I'd venture to say that this is a rare problem. Is your truck still under warranty?
I haven't found any cases on 2011's, just older trucks where the system would start leaking anyway from wear. As far as this truck goes, I've had almost every issue in the 6.2 forum. The transmission slip, ticking noise, plus a faulty TPMS system that the dealer didn't even look at 3 times, and still indicated a fault before I switched rims and sensors. Also a dead battery in 5 months which required a tow in from my house.

The truck is being parked until Monday, unless I feel brave and go pull the line now.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Just an update guys

I haven't yet gone to the dealership... however I did sign up for Alldata again after remembering having it for the Ranger I used to have, and looked at diagrams and whatnot before I remembered the TSB's. I searched and found the TSB below. Apparently this also applies to F150's as well.

Printing this out now and going to the dealership tomorrow... think this is a "contamination" of the system?

TSB 11-12-11
12/22/11
LACK OF STEERING ASSIST OR EXCESSIVE
STEERING
EFFORT DURING BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT
TURNS

FORD:
2011 F-150, F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 11-8-14 to update the vehicle lines.

ISSUE
Some 2011 F-Super Duty and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 6.2L engine may exhibit contamination of the power steering hydraulic system that results in a lack of power steering assist or excessive steering effort during both left and right turns.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the concern.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
<table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2" height="146" width="503"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>1.</td> <td>Road test the vehicle and evaluate steering effort. <table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2"> <tbody><tr valign="top"><td>a.</td> <td>If steering effort is excessive during both left and right turns, proceed to Step 2. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"><td>b.</td> <td>If steering effort is normal, proceed to Step 3. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"><td>2.</td> <td>Replace the Power Steering Pump. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-02. Proceed to step 3. </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"><td>3.</td> <td>Replace the power steering fluid reservoir. Refer to WSM, Section 211-02.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Parts Block
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool. <table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="2" height="146" width="503"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Menghi08LT
Just an update guys

I haven't yet gone to the dealership... however I did sign up for Alldata again after remembering having it for the Ranger I used to have, and looked at diagrams and whatnot before I remembered the TSB's. I searched and found the TSB below. Apparently this also applies to F150's as well.

Printing this out now and going to the dealership tomorrow... think this is a "contamination" of the system?
Not at all. In fact I'd say that there's a 99% chance that there isn't a contamination of your system.

Yours is leaking, plain and simple. The fix is to find the leak and repair; low fluid will cause excessive steering effort. I guess it would be possible for it to be leaking and also contaminated, but highly unlikely. Note how the TSB makes no mention of leaking fluid.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I agree with you Mr. Crazy, the fluid is leakign out, its not going to pull in any contaminants. I would get it to the dealer and let them fix it, and drive on with a smile on your face.

Sarge

Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
I just got around to bringing it in yesterday (I've been using my car lately anyway to save on gas), I got my call today.

They are fixing it under the TSB, said the pump failed and they're giving me a new pump and reservoir, and I'm guessing the seals too. They gave me no reason as far as the failure, apparently they contacted Ford and this is what Ford said to do. They said it was a known issue with this truck and to fix it under the TSB above.

The parts come in tomorrow morning, it should be ready by lunch time.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:58 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Good deal! Thanks for posting back on the issue.

Looks like an issue with the early '11 models. Maybe you get a new 2012 model pump and system?

Good luck...and let us know how the new pump performs.

biz

Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 AM
lookngo
Freshman User
Thanks for sharing. Let us know how it goes. I have one of these trucks. It is around the same mileage. The factory warranty goes out @60K. I feel your anxiety, as far as plowing with the truck. I'm in the same boat, but I have another truck to fall back on.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
I'll post what I find when I pick it up in a few hours. The truck is an early truck (actually made when they first started in 2010, I bought it in Feb 2011) and I'm guessing its an updated pump. I hope so, because I can't afford to have a break in the middle of winter. All I have to fall back on at that point is a Kubota light duty tractor.

Just have to wait for the call...

Quick Reply: 2011 6.2 Power Steering blown seal?