1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 F250 CC Longbed suspension out of control

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 F250 CC Longbed suspension out of control

Search on jiggling then bouncing then shaking and found nothing. First trip in new truck yesterday 250 miles round trip. I was literally beat to death by this truck on the freeway when there were expansion joints. I mean I had to stop at the wellington exit and get out and let my eyeballs quit bouncing. Is this normal? Are the factory shocks junk? I can't drive this thing on the highway between Cheyenne and Fort Collins ever again if this can't be fixed.

Jeff

Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
yes stock shocks suck, as do the stock tires.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
So of course right after posting this I found a thread where the 11's had this issue and Bilstien's or Rancho's were the cure. I had Rancho RS9000XL's on my last truck and they were excellant. Tried ordering a set for my truck and was told by many suppliers web sites not available. Called Rancho and was told RS999042 front and RS999254 rear are the ones. Ordered.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
carry some stuff in the truck too.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:38 AM
maverickseb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unyalli
So of course right after posting this I found a thread where the 11's had this issue and Bilstien's or Rancho's were the cure. I had Rancho RS9000XL's on my last truck and they were excellant. Tried ordering a set for my truck and was told by many suppliers web sites not available. Called Rancho and was told RS999042 front and RS999254 rear are the ones. Ordered.
Let us know if this works?

Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are several threads about the ride quality in the newer trucks, especially in the 6.7 forum. Upgrading to the 9000's or Bilstein 5100's will help to settle down the truck. Also, upgrading the stock steering stabilizer with the Bilstein 5100 replacement will make a noticeable improvement.

Tire pressure is also a factor. You might want to experiment with different pressures to see what combo gives you the best ride.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:15 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Mavericseb -- will do

Snelldawg -- looking for a good tire pressure gauge to see where I'm at now. My accugauge (made in USA) has been faithfull but only goes to 60psi. Looking for another accugauge or a milton.

Door sticker says run 65 front and 80 rear. Would rather run 65/65 unloaded but would the TPMS bitch?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unyalli,
Funny you should ask about the TPMS complaining....my truck had the 18" OEM's and I always ran 65 in the front and 60 in the rears. Never heard a peep out of the TPMS.

Two weeks ago I upgraded to the OEM 20's. Dealer set them 65 in front and 80 in the rear. So I adjusted the psi to 65 all around for starters and the TPMS went on. Strange since the other wheels never lit up the TPMS. I imagine that when they recalibrated my truck for the new wheels that the TPMS thresholds were changed too.....to what I'm not sure.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Marginal success. Looks like set on 6 front and rear is best. Pogoing/porpoising on highway expansion joints lessened but not gone. Truck feels much better around town, not unhappy with shock upgrade was planing on it anyway. Lowered rear tire pressure to 65 with no change perceived other than feeling better about having a more correct pressure back there. Once I get my tonneou installed I may have to get 10 80lb bags of cement and load them up. I could also just forget the tonneau and go get the RZR and carry it around all the time.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Wondering if it's the snow plow package front springs. Tried all sorts of setting combinations this weekend and I'm back at 6 front 6 rear with tires 65psi all around. This is dismal, anyone else with a 11 or 12 250 with snow plow package and no plow? Hows she ride at 65 on freeway expansion joints?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 PM
unyalli
Cross-Country
I think I'm on to it. In a moment of dispair I set everything full counter clockwise the softest setting. Unreal, compared to stock it's actually smooth. Some big joints unsetteled it so I set the rear to 1 and I believe I just might have something here. I learned also my front springs are 6000 pounders and my truck without plow package would have 5200lb springs. I might have to get a set.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
So here we go. Brought the truck in for rear view camera install and they loaned me a truck that was essentially mine with out the plow package. What a difference! Over the same section of freeway at the same speed with OEM shocks the loaner was civilized. Still a minor pogo so you knew the expansion joints were there but not the high-o silver buckaroo banzai *** whoopin my truck handed you. Check out the difference and similarity in these stickers.
My truck
Loaner truck
Dealer is working up a price to install a set of TT front springs for me using the loaner truck vin to order them. This will undo the grave mistake of ordering the snow plow package on a gas truck with out immediately installing a plow. The difference in rear tire pressure is due to the loaner Michelin's rating of 3195lbs at 65psi and my Continental's 3000lbs at 65psi. To carry the rear axle's 6100lbs with my tires you have to bump up to 70psi which is 3150lbs a tire.

I've weighed my truck with full tank and my self aboard.

I can positively say I will never carry 6000lbs on the rear axle so they set my TPMS to 65 all around. Now I don't have to hit OK every time I start the truck.

Anyone looking at buying a gas super duty with a snow plow package take a test ride. You either need to hang a plow off the front or replace the front bumper with a mad max moose killer.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
That snow plow prep is the only way I buy my trucks, if you tow heavy they are expecially needed.just like if you hang a plow off of the front. Plus the upped alternator amps and sometimes the heavier duty clutch fan.

So there are many reasons to still consider the plow prep.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 AM
unyalli
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by senix
That snow plow prep is the only way I buy my trucks, if you tow heavy they are expecially needed.just like if you hang a plow off of the front. Plus the upped alternator amps and sometimes the heavier duty clutch fan.

So there are many reasons to still consider the plow prep.
Ya, and look at your avatar. If I was pulling a house with a PSD it would not be an issue. I'm talking GAS truck here NOT hauling a barn.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Tendergrouse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a stiff neck

Hi, I am trying to figure this ride problem as a logical engineer...at least I hope I am.
I have a 2012 diesel 'King Ranch' F-250 4dr long bed. The first 2500 miles were a dream. Great ride, 19+ MPG. On a trip from PA ro MA the ride gradually went south as well as my MPG which has been 15 to 16 since. I have noticed that the engine is not as quiet or smooth as the first 2500 miles
The oscillation begins at about 1600 rpm under load but not in neutral or park. It makes little difference whether I have a load in back or not.
The truck has been back to Ford 3 times. The first time they tried to convince me I was nuts. The second time the teck said he could feel it but Ford told him he was nuts as well.
The truck is back to the dealr as I write this. I received a call from them saying they found the problem...a delaminate belt in a tire. Somehow I would like to think they found 'The' problem but think they only found 'a' problem.
Wish me luck.
The ride gives me a stiff neck after 20 minutes or so...nobody else will ride in the truck anymore.

Quick Reply: 2012 F250 CC Longbed suspension out of control