Sponsored by: DP Tuner

time to ask for help just shut down and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM
jcoiler
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time to ask for help just shut down and wont start

Was 280 miles from home on a trip Ran great up towing (7000 lb travel)and around no trailer.
Have had the truck for 2 months all fluids good and changed out stock straight piped for a diamind eye 4" with muffler and no codes listed. Have done multiple camping trips locally 40 miles each way no problems.

80 miles into getting back lost some power going up a hill (60mph)full power back at the top then within a mile at the bottom hit the brakes for a stop sign nothing not running. Codes (via sct livewire Not running a program yet)

Code Number Code descp possible problem
P1280 ICP circuit out of range low/Injection Control Pressure Out Of Range Low
P1690 Waste gate failure/Wastegate Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
P0381 Glow plug indicator circuit malfunction
P1209 ICP system fault/Injector Control Pressure System Fault
P1212 ICP voltage not at expected level/Injector Control Pressure Not Detected During Crank
P0340 Camshaft position sensor ckt. malfunction
P1211 ICP pressure above/below desired - Injector Control Pressure Sensor Above / Below Desired
P1139 Water in fuel lamp circuit malfunction/Water In Fuel Indicator Circuit Malfunction
B975
U1725

Replaced cps sensor, fuel filter, all oil levels are good, Getting 65 psi from fuel pump. Tried multiple times to start, getting rpm on sct as well as gauge. 11 volts while trying to start, no smoke from exhaust tried unplugging the icp sensor. Odd thing getting -2 boost not running. NO fuses were blown not even the 2 2A fuses(look factory harness) zip tied to the brake line at the master cyl.

After a 200 mile tow and surfing on here as allowed for 2 days
Its on a charger from the hazards running for 3 hours.
Its got the nut on the solenoid on the ipr valve, checked all connections accessible and are tight, no codes since initial read and clearing, Held 40 psi for 24 hrs on fuel pressure.

Just did the gb tech bulleten 103 used my field piece /harbor freight special
Test 1
23-22 157/ 75
23-7 93/ 93
23-19 25/ 26
23-9 7/ 8

24-6 3/ 4
24-21 3/ 4
24-8 3/ 4
24-20 4/ 5

Fieldpiece toned continuity for the 7 and belw
Test 2
23-26 open/ open
24-26 open/ open

Test 3
23-18 open/ open
24-18 open/ open

Right now a little scared that all my injectors just went at the same time.
and possibly took out the idm.

Please tell me I'm dumb and it is a relatively easy fix.
Thanks For any and all suggestions.
Going tonight to get a socket to get the ipr out and clean it tomorrow( i don't know if it will help) as preventative.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jcoiler
Just did the gb tech bulleten 103 used my field piece /harbor freight special
Test 1
23-22 157/ 75
23-7 93/ 93
23-19 25/ 26
23-9 7/ 8

24-6 3/ 4
24-21 3/ 4
24-8 3/ 4
24-20 4/ 5

What do the numbers in bold mean? You should be getting around 3 ohms across those pin pairs. Sorta looks like the left bank injector harness is unplugged under the valve cover...

Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM
jcoiler
Freshman User
Those are the ohm readings Field piece is auto range 1st # 2nd # is harborfreight set to 200. Possible the $.50 mod would correct it?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Those are the ohm readings Field piece is auto range 1st # 2nd # is harborfreight set to 200. Possible the $.50 mod would correct it?
I don't know what 'field piece' means but yeah....your driver's side harness is unplugged (according to those numbers...). Fix that and you'll probably be good to go.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 PM
jcoiler
Freshman User
Thank you sooooo much Ill do a buzz test tomorrow and check the glow plugs while I'm in there Ill do both sides.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:16 PM
jcoiler
Freshman User
Ahhhhh still no start no way to do the buzz test but replaced all the glow plugs just to be sure and ohm readings are good at the IDM Killed the batteries cranking so recharging now. The hpop is full and the fuel pump runs and shuts off before the wait light goes out still no codes to read. any other suggestions??

Old 10-13-2012, 02:36 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ICP pressures and duty cycle?

Another one of those threads where AE would save the day.

Seriously, should be the first thing anyone buys.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:33 PM
jcoiler
Freshman User
Tried unplugging icp sensor no help swapped idm relay with blower relay blower still working no start. Just for fun loaded sct tow tune no change then reset it to stock hope that means the pcm ok. Going nuts stopping for a while. Hope to find a list of ideas to try later.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
i just went through a similar issue. turned out to be my IDM. replaced with a used one and she fired up here's my tread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ont-start.html

hope this helped

Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
IDM is VERY VERY rare... VERY...

Old 10-13-2012, 10:22 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Ahhhhh still no start no way to do the buzz test but replaced all the glow plugs just to be sure and ohm readings are good at the IDM Killed the batteries cranking so recharging now. The hpop is full and the fuel pump runs and shuts off before the wait light goes out still no codes to read. any other suggestions??
Can we assume that while you were under the valve covers replacing the glow plugs that you made sure that the UVCH was plugged in??? Did you happen to unplug the connector both on the outside and Under Valve Cover to check for burnt pins? When you had the valve covers off did you try to start it to see if oil was coming out of the injectors? This step will verify that the injectors are firing.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 PM
jcoiler
Freshman User
Unplugged both uvch and added dielectric grease to both and did the 50cent mod it fixed the ohm readings at idm connection. Did not try to start with valve covers off. Oil pressure does go up while cranking. Pulled the icp sensor again no start but did get a code for it pulled idm out. Shook it some no water or rattling and the seal looks to be original. Will put it back in and check at vc for voltage from idm. Will also unplug pcm and check connections there. I think something electrical went since it just stopped and hasnt even hiccuped while cranking.

Is there a way to test the hpop oil pressure?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
ICP pressures and Duty cycle...

Need a scanner...

Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Joe's beating a drum for a reason: My truck up and died after my first test run on new injectors... like a switch was shut off and that was the end of it. Luckily, I had AE running and recording when it happened, so it took a very short time to see that the IPR was getting the correct signal, but I was getting 60 PSI ICP... pretty much worthless. We pulled and cleaned the IPR to get me by - then the ICP slowly climbed to over 500 and the truck started. The new IPR makes the ICP immediatelty jump to 450-500 without the slow climb like the tired IPR did.

Remember your basics: Air, compression, then fuel.
  1. Air is a given, so the PCM has a sensor (MAP) - but I don't believe it will stop the truck from starting if the MAP died.
  2. There is no sensor to measure compression in a cylinder, but compression comes from rotation - and the CPS is the sensor that tells the PCM that rotation has occured and the tachometer confirms the signal. No tach? No start.
  3. ICP is your fuel delivery. Don't get me wrong, a bad fuel pump or plugged filter can cause this - but you can hear the pump running under the driver's door. If you hear the fuel pump, it's usually safe to assume you have a fuel supply - but only the ICP can get the fuel into the cylinder. If you want to confirm the pump is working, open the fuel bowl drain valve with the pump on and a 3/8" tube from the drain to a container.
What is your ICP? If you don't know, then there is no next... except to blast away with a Buck$Zooka and buy parts - starting with an IPR: $130 at Riffraff Diesel. [LINK] [LINK]

Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 AM
jcoiler
Freshman User
Is there a way to measure ICP with a gauge without ae? By any chance anyone in Cheyenne Wyoming or nearby thay may have ae and a little time?

Quick Reply: time to ask for help just shut down and wont start