1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How much is a stock '56 worth?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 606 Likes on 377 Posts
How much is a stock '56 worth?

Check this out: Ford : F-100 Original in Ford | eBay Motors

Very clean, completely original AFA I can see. Super clean desert SW metal for sure. Worth this kind of money?!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe priced right for a high end, restored show truck, but $37.5 K seems a bit high for a weekend driver. But then the owner looks to be in the classic car business, so its not too surprising he's asking top dollar for that truck.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,111 Likes on 2,644 Posts
It's a beautiful truck and I would say it's worth every penny knowing what it costs to rebuild one.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice. Very Nice

Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
That appears to be a very nice truck. As for "All original". Not really. Wrong in quite a few areas. Worth the money, ???????????? Perhaps to someone.
The seller probably does not know what is original but probably just repeating what he was told.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by raytasch
That appears to be a very nice truck. As for "All original". Not really. Wrong in quite a few areas. Worth the money, ???????????? Perhaps to someone.
The seller probably does not know what is original but probably just repeating what he was told.
What did you spot? The bed wood isn't painted, and has SS strips, Smithys, wheels and hubcaps?? I don't know '56's that well, but what strikes me is just overall completeness and doesn't look like it took much if anything to restore. $37K? I don't know, as soon as money starts falling out of my butt, I let you know!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Flybear2000
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't agree with the all original, the seller admits some engine items were changed, Thunderbird manifold. The rest looks pretty complete, but just common sense would say that 85,000+ miles is sure to have some items changed out over time being what the Maine weather for its initial owners location changed just due to deterioration. The obvious thing about this truck is it has been well restored, but again not to sure about the price. I would think more in the high teens or maybe in the twenties. My two cents worth.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
What did you spot? The bed wood isn't painted, and has SS strips, Smithys, wheels and hubcaps?? I don't know '56's that well, but what strikes me is just overall completeness and doesn't look like it took much if anything to restore. $37K? I don't know, as soon as money starts falling out of my butt, I let you know!
The things you pointed out, and metal flake paint, pleated seat, and chrome valve covers.

I'm not all that sure about rust free, looking at the pitting on the rear springs, but who am I to say without being there?
Edit: The add didn't say it was always rust free, it says it IS rust free. I stand corrected.

That said, it is a beautiful truck. As far as the price, as any auctioneer or appraiser will tell you, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay on that day.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a comparable truck for 40,000 it is 55 but the ad sounds good anyway
1955 Ford F100

Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Carolina 52
Here is a comparable truck for 40,000 it is 55 but the ad sounds good anyway
1955 Ford F100
VERY nice! It seems no one can resist staining the bed wood, and who cares?! It looks great! Likewise the step plates; anyone who cared about their truck in the '50's probably did something similar.

But again, $40k?! I hope he gets it!

PS -- the thing that would stop me on that truck is the lacquer paint -- it won't last

Old 10-08-2012, 03:23 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Allow me to throw in an opinion. Some people don't really want to sell their vehicles, but would for the right price. Some would only sell if they got a certain amount. Some won't sell, period. For instance, I had a friend just out of high school whose dad had a '54 Bel Air. He always had it for sale for way more than it was worth. I don't think he really wanted to sell it, but he put a price on it nobody would pay. The '55 on eBay the seller states he wants the money to pay for college. If he can't get $40k he might not sell it. Now in my case, if you showed up on my doorstep with $100k and offered it for my dads '56 I'd thank you for the offer and show you and your money the gate without a thought. On the other hand, there may be some guy who has to choose between selling his truck for whatever he can get or losing his house and you can buy it for a song. I guess my point is that an asking price is more than just a 'book' value, it's how bad the seller needs the money or the emotional value attached to the vehicle. Offer me $1,000,000 for my dads truck and I'll at least think about it.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I have the same feeling as James about my F-2. Just this morning one of the guys that work for me asked what I thought the F-2 was worth. I told him at least $100K. I know to a normal, sane person it might be worth $6K, at most but to me it's worth at least $100K just for the sentimental value and the feeling I get of having my dad in the truck with me where ever I go and the adventures my family had in it. Last month the value to me went up even more, I spent a week in it with my best friend ever and will remember having her all to myself without a kid in sight. Now my other projects, they aren't worth as much. If someone came along and made a decent offer I'd probably take it. It still would have to be an offer better than a normal, sane person would make because I have the hoarder decease and can't let anything go easily, but no where near as much as for my F-2.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sorry, but according to the market, that's about 30K too high. Maybe 10K for one with a 100 point showroom original museum ready restoration. I think some people have been watching too many B-J auctions or TV "reality" shows.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
As an old time judge of Thunderbirds against factory specs, I have a tendency to pick up on anything not original. Don't get me wrong, but that appears to be one nice truck, just not original. I've seen folks show up for concourse judging with what they think is original and are amazed when we started knocking off points for wrong paint, seat, steering wheel, extra throttle spring, fuel line wrong with aftermarket filter, voltage regulator wrong, decals wrong, hose clamps wrong, and I am sure the list would go on. The exhaust manifolds are the Ram Horns as used on larger trucks, not Thunderbird as the seller stated. At least I've not seen them on 'Birds as original. I really don't know if chrome valve covers were an option on these trucks or not. Most likely any option would have been the aluminum. These things in addition to what has been already mentioned.
Again, a very nice truck but don't represent it as original. Unmolested, yes.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Sorry, but according to the market, that's about 30K too high. Maybe 10K for one with a 100 point showroom original museum ready restoration. I think some people have been watching too many B-J auctions or TV "reality" shows.
You cant build one like that for 10K, if you can, I'll buy all you build!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much is a stock '56 worth?