My new F-350 gasser - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

My new F-350 gasser

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Flatbed Ed's Avatar
Flatbed Ed Flatbed Ed is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 156
Flatbed Ed is starting off with a positive reputation.
My new F-350 gasser

My first post here. Had to get rid of my 2008 F-550 PSD cause the motor went out at 321,000 miles. It had lots of blow by and blue smoke. It needed a rebuild or a new motor. Too expensive either way so I bought a 2012 F-350 chassis cab dually w/flatbed, 6.2 gas motor. Truck is awesome and saving me money everyday. New diesels are too expensive,problematic and unreliable. I once put some dirty fuel into my 6.4 diesel and trashed the HPFP. That cost me about $3000 to repair plus lots of downtime. I use it for Hot-Shot, so I need the truck running to get a paycheck. I need a reliable vehicle, period. I really like the 6.2 gas. It doesn't have the grunt of the 6.4 but it will work for me. I'm done with diesels!
I have a question. What is the best oil and filter to use on the 6.2?
Is 5w-20 oil ok to use in hot Texas heat? Can I put taller springs on the front? I want to put F-550 front springs on my F-350. Will that work?
Hey.......thx in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 PM
biz4two's Avatar
biz4two biz4two is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,691
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Welcome to FTE! Need to post pics of the new rig...

5w-20 is all I'll use on my 6.2L...and think it is safe for all conditions. I just use the Motorcraft recommended oil filter...FL-820s. It's been around for years...(that is what I used on my '03 V10)...so familiar with it.

You can always add a lift to your F350...no worries. IMHO...might want to look into a 2" leveling kit...either spacers or springs. If you go higher...then the rear is going to be lower. These 2012 SuperDuty trucks have soft rear springs to help with ride.


Lift Kit, Leveling Kit & Truck Suspension : ReadyLIFT

Ford - 2011 + Super Duty - ICON Vehicle Dynamics



Congrats!


biz
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 AM
airstreamingypsy airstreamingypsy is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In my Airstream
Posts: 50
airstreamingypsy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been sniffing around the 6.2s... I'm a fulltime RVer and pull an 8,000# trailer plus the bed of the truck is always loaded with all my stuff...... I have a 6.0 diesel now.... will the 6.2 tow my rig, or should I look for a used V-10?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 AM
biz4two's Avatar
biz4two biz4two is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,691
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Both will handle the load well. The 6.2L likes to rev just like the V10...plus the new 2011 and 2012 SD are so refined.

If you are going to tow often, then I recommend the 4.30 gears...with the 6.2L.

With the V10...look for the 3v version from '08 to '10. Great trucks too!


biz
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:13 AM
airstreamingypsy airstreamingypsy is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In my Airstream
Posts: 50
airstreamingypsy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you, I just wanted to be sure the 6.2 had the oomph....

I spend summers in Colorado so lots of pulling over mountain passes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Flatbed Ed's Avatar
Flatbed Ed Flatbed Ed is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 156
Flatbed Ed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
I've been sniffing around the 6.2s... I'm a fulltime RVer and pull an 8,000# trailer plus the bed of the truck is always loaded with all my stuff...... I have a 6.0 diesel now.... will the 6.2 tow my rig, or should I look for a used V-10?
My truck has 3.73 gears and I seldom can get it over 2000 rpm, even on the highway. If your going to tow heavy I suggest you get 4.30 gears or your truck will be struggling to yank the load.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Anomic Anomic is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 443
Anomic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbed Ed View Post
My truck has 3.73 gears and I seldom can get it over 2000 rpm, even on the highway. If your going to tow heavy I suggest you get 4.30 gears or your truck will be struggling to yank the load.
The 2011 in my sig tows the 7500lb airstream and it goes WELL over 2000 rpm. It loves 2nd gear even at 55mph!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Kdr358's Avatar
Kdr358 Kdr358 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 2,693
Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you got a nice truck! Welcome to FTE! This is the link to the 6.2 section, Its full of many towing threads. Got any pics of the new truck?
6.2L V8 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums On all my gas Fords I exclusively run Motorcraft 5-20 with the FL820s filter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Flatbed Ed's Avatar
Flatbed Ed Flatbed Ed is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 156
Flatbed Ed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdr358 View Post
Sounds like you got a nice truck! Welcome to FTE! This is the link to the 6.2 section, Its full of many towing threads. Got any pics of the new truck?
6.2L V8 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums On all my gas Fords I exclusively run Motorcraft 5-20 with the FL820s filter.
Here's a link to Photobucket for pics.
Pictures by biged550 - Photobucket
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Flatbed Ed's Avatar
Flatbed Ed Flatbed Ed is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 156
Flatbed Ed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdr358 View Post
Sounds like you got a nice truck! Welcome to FTE! This is the link to the 6.2 section, Its full of many towing threads. Got any pics of the new truck?
6.2L V8 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums On all my gas Fords I exclusively run Motorcraft 5-20 with the FL820s filter.
I am thinking of using Castrol Edge full synthetic with a Motorcraft oil filter.
I just hope 5w-20 works in HOT Texas heat. Isn't 5w-20 a winter blend for cold climates? I read some engines wear out prematurely and have issues after switching to 5w-20. I need this motor to last a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Kdr358's Avatar
Kdr358 Kdr358 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 2,693
Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
I dont think you have to worry about the motor wearing out on 5-20. I used to service Crown Victoria Police cars, they ran 24/7 mostly idle time. In the hot 100* summer months with AC running and more idle time. Usually Those units would avg about 3,500 idle hours + about 80k miles. Ford justifies one hour of idle time equal to 35 miles of driving. If you factor in 3,500 idle hours x 35 miles = 122,500 equivalent to normal driving wear and tear. So add the 80k of actual mileage is 202,500 miles worth of wear and tear on the moving parts. Those units always got the FL820s and regular old Motorcraft syn blend 5-20 for years. Usually those cars then become taxis with more idling, less maintenance and go until 300k on the odometer, We used to delete the idle our meter out of the PCM on the 05+ cars for that very reason that idle time destroys any value that is left. I had one that I picked up to derby with 290,000 miles on it and just over 7,000 idle hours! Thats 245,000 miles just in idle time! Now plus that 290k is just over 535,000 miles worth of wear and tear on the moving parts. So now that my little almost pointless post is over, you should be just fine with any high quality 5-20 you choose
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Flatbed Ed's Avatar
Flatbed Ed Flatbed Ed is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 156
Flatbed Ed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdr358 View Post
I dont think you have to worry about the motor wearing out on 5-20. I used to service Crown Victoria Police cars, they ran 24/7 mostly idle time. In the hot 100* summer months with AC running and more idle time. Usually Those units would avg about 3,500 idle hours + about 80k miles. Ford justifies one hour of idle time equal to 35 miles of driving. If you factor in 3,500 idle hours x 35 miles = 122,500 equivalent to normal driving wear and tear. So add the 80k of actual mileage is 202,500 miles worth of wear and tear on the moving parts. Those units always got the FL820s and regular old Motorcraft syn blend 5-20 for years. Usually those cars then become taxis with more idling, less maintenance and go until 300k on the odometer, We used to delete the idle our meter out of the PCM on the 05+ cars for that very reason that idle time destroys any value that is left. I had one that I picked up to derby with 290,000 miles on it and just over 7,000 idle hours! Thats 245,000 miles just in idle time! Now plus that 290k is just over 535,000 miles worth of wear and tear on the moving parts. So now that my little almost pointless post is over, you should be just fine with any high quality 5-20 you choose
I agree. Thanks for sharing your experiences with 5w-20. I will keep you advised of how my truck responds to a full syn oil. Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM
kd0axs's Avatar
kd0axs kd0axs is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nowthen, MN
Posts: 1,961
kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
I've seen quite a few of those CVPIs that were first squad cars, then taxis, with 400K on the odometer, and even a few over 500K. Who knows how much idle time they had in addition to those miles. These cars weren't being scrapped either, they still ran great and were being retired from taxi duty and sold to the public.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Kdr358's Avatar
Kdr358 Kdr358 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 2,693
Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
I know most people love pics its a litte OT but this is it.



IMHO the most important thing is sticking to one oil and filter brand. I know you mentioned castrol edge and I would stick with the FL820s filter and you should be good to go. Walmart usually has the oil and filters at the lowest price, at least by me!
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New member on 2nd Ford Super Duty Mcald62 New Member Introductions 1 09-19-2016 01:30 PM
ordered a 2016 cab/chassis f350 6.2 gas(Need Input) ironman1977 6.2L V8 6 06-13-2015 12:48 PM
ordered new 2016 f350 6.2 gas, need input! ironman1977 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 9 06-10-2015 10:20 PM
6.2 or v10 bullit340 6.2L V8 2 04-14-2014 09:16 PM
Good Deal on 2002 F550 Diesel, but its overkill.... beverlylawncare 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 19 07-15-2013 11:07 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.