1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

The time has come!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Aroz34
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The time has come!

Hey guys love this forum and finally became the actual owner of my great grandpa's 65 f100 flareside. I'm only 25 but have rebuilt harleys and spent a ton of time on irrigation engines and work truck engines here on the farm. When I was 12 or so(around '99) I bought my first parts for this truck. They were a cup holder and a distributor. I always rode in this truck and loved it so I made these small contributions when I could. I always talked about and begged to have it restored but great gpa was too old school. It was passed on my grandpa 9 years ago and I just got the go ahead to start on my dream truck. Sorry for all the background info but just kind of wanted you guys to know what this means to me. Now come the questions...

I want this thing to be a beast. Will probably go the crate route before i try building an engine. Looking at the boss 363 or similar. Really want over 500hp if possible. Can't spend more than 10k on the engine so the 363 seemed do-able. Would really like a blower on it too if possible.

Tranny and rear end: no idea really

I'll take the body off and do full rotisserie which I'm planning to cost only 2500 since it'll be done in my best friends paint booth.

Want to do power brakes but no idea which ones.

Suspension needs redone and am looking into the jaguar switch if that's recommended.

Would like to hear some good ideas on interior.

Like I said I really have limited knowledge but will have help from quite a few people. If you guys could just explain things and help as much as possible it would be great. I'm just trying to get a budget figured out and learn as much as possible. Thanks a ton in advance.

Aroz34

Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Aroz34 Welcome to FTE & the Slicks Forum.

You love this truck because it is family, you don't rebuild family and memories. Drive & enjoy your heritage truck as is, don't destroy it. It will not be the same again. One day as you get older you will be glad that you did. Find another truck like it and do those mods to, be happy. I can promise you one day these words will ring true to you.

John

Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Aroz34
New User
I would like to be able to drive it but its in pretty terrible shape. The straight six doesn't run. All those years we just used it on the ranch so it's been abused. I'll post pics soon busy there are big dents in it, rats have taken over cab and under hood and have destroyed all the wiring. The wood in the bed has rotted out and the frame and suspension really need work. My grandpa and I have always talked about what it could look like and how powerful it could be. I want to make these things happen.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM
HotRod 66 F100
Junior User
Welcome,

There is a place here for everyone, enjoy and post pics. when you can.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the site, it is your truck build it to your liking, it will still be the family truck.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
You could build one heck of a motor for 10 grand if you start with a 460. If you bore it .030 and use a 4.5" stroke crank you have a 545. I just found a kit with crank, rods, and pistons for $1500.

If you were lucky you might be able to squeeze 500 horse out of it.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Aroz34
New User
Will a 460 fit in there without doing any hacking?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Aroz34

Ah!! No. Yer gonna have to hack and spit and cuss and......

Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have read this kind of grand plan several times, and every time I see it I think of the same thing. Don't bite off more than you can chew in a reasonable amount of time. Many of the guys here have bought basket cases from people who had grand ideas like you are proposing. Far more people start grand frame off restorations, and end up selling the parts off when life changes, than finish the Frame off Mod. I would advise to take it slow at first, frame off can always be done, but if you get it fully disassembled and lose heart you will have destroyed a family heirloom.

As for your plans, I am a purist so I won't comment on what your plans will do to the value of the truck. Just don't go to grand if you cannot finish!!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Aroz34
A 460 will fit without hacking. You will need a matching tranny or bell with the wide bolt pattern, and perches from a late 70s truck that had a 460.

John