Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stage 1s or Stock Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 PM
DP-TunerSales
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
DP Tuner is reburning my f5 to match stage 1s included in the price of stage 1s?
If you are a current DP Tuner customer already running our F5 or F6 chip and you purchase the injectors from us, we will retune the chip for no charge.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DP-TunerSales
If you are a current DP Tuner customer already running our F5 or F6 chip and you purchase the injectors from us, we will retune the chip for no charge.
I just did this as well. I have an F6, so I ordered the injectors from DP and voila! I get my tunes in the email 4 days before the injectors show up. I drove to a friend's house in my old tunes to swap the sticks, hours later and after the install - I downloaded the new tunes and drove home.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info dp. That's tempting! Tingly what mileage changes are you seeing? Drivability? Has it been hassle free?

Tugly* damn autocorrect

Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Thanks for the info dp. That's tempting! Tingly what mileage changes are you seeing? Drivability? Has it been hassle free?

Tugly* damn autocorrect
My favorite tune is the 60e: Great throttle response, plenty of power, economical - it's my DD. I shift to stock in the snow/ice unless I use 4X4 - then I use 60e again to keep the responsiveness. I have a non-stock transmission, so it took a few "whacks" at it to get the shifting just right, but the customer service was fantastic throughout the whole process.

As for economy, I'll let you be the judge.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Bobbys Big Red Rig
Senior User

Hey guys. At 302,000+ miles I'm pretty sure my factory injectors are getting weak. I talked to Jody at DP Tuner and he recommends stock or Stage 1s. I was really only seeking a reliable replacement and not more power but he says Stage 1s should last longer because of the single shot design.

I am intrigued by the rumors of better mileage, longer life, and the same cost as stock.

I have given Jody my concern and I'm awaiting his response, but I will lay it out here so I can gather your opinions.

My concern is: I currently have an F5 with no other mods to my Ex. I do not abuse my truck or tow outside the weight suggestions provided by the DP tuner website. For this reason I passed on getting guages to monitor EGTs, etc. In the last 30,000 miles it has not come back to bite me. I really don't ever worry about it in its current form. Do you think Stage 1s with my tuner modified to accomodate them, would be any reason for more concern about not running guages? I don't want to run guages. If its an absolute must with my treatment of my vehicle, then I feel these injectors are not for me.

Basically I was content with the power I have with my F5 chip and everything else stock and original. But if there are really no negatives to going to Stage 1s and the price is the same, I may go for it.

Thanks in advance for your valued opinions/experiences.
Stage 1's, go for it. I just put in a set on Swamp's stage 1's. They cost a little more than some others but have a 5 year warrenty.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I've got a few hundred miles on my single shots and love em so far.
Much Much more power than my stock sticks

Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Tugly that mileage may have just pushed me over the edge depending on what mileage you got pre injector swap. My ex rarely sees that mileage but I know some lighter trucks might.

Thanks Bobbys and Franko for the feedback! I'm feeling better about the idea of stage 1s. I need to look around for a bung/sensor/egt gauge kit.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Tugly that mileage may have just pushed me over the edge depending on what mileage you got pre injector swap. My ex rarely sees that mileage but I know some lighter trucks might.

Thanks Bobbys and Franko for the feedback! I'm feeling better about the idea of stage 1s. I need to look around for a bung/sensor/egt gauge kit.
Running those toons without an EGT gauge is Russian Roulette. Even in 80e I could easily push the pyro into the red and had to drive-by-pyro when towing heavy in 60tow and even 40tow was dangerous at high altitude. (with stock injectors and single-shots)

The ONLY negative to running single-shots is a little more noise and good tuning will mitigate that. Stage 1's or even Stage 2's (160cc/80% nozzles) run lower EGT's and can acheive higher MPG's than split-shots. The advantage is being able to inject the same amount of fuel in less time. The sooner the injection event begins, the higher CP's (cylinder pressures) will be and the longer it extends, the higher EGT's will be and the more SMOKE it will make.

With AC codes (160cc/stock nozzles), GTP38R and good tunes I struggle to hit 1200* while towing at a dyno'ed 320HP. Even in my highest tune (dyno'ed 370HP), its hard to get EGT's into the red, unloaded of course - but I would never drive anything but a 100% stock diesel without a pyro.

Fwiw, I drive in my 60tow tunes (X has stock injectors - F350 running AC codes) pretty much all the time. There is NO smoke in these tunes and the trucks are very responsive and FUN to drive.

I recommend the Aeroforce Interceptor Scangauge. This TOOL will not only display every parameter the engine monitors and also give you EGT and Fuel Pressure with additional sensors - it also does Buzz Test and Cylinder Contribution Test. With this information and your friends here at FTE, you will likely never need to go to the stealership again and will know if your mechanic is ripping you off should you not be able to fix it yourself. You can mount it in the dash just to the right of steering column and would not even need a gauge pod.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
^^^what Jason said! He knows what hes talking about , and he's never called me a dumba$$...yet...just sayin.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Jason-Great knowledge you just dropped on me. Thanks! That scanguage looks perfect! Im pretty sold on stag 1s but i am still worried about my original factory tranny s little. it has never skipped a beat though and im thinking with my very easy driving style it will hold up to the injectors and tuner using some common sense. I do have a question about it though. It says it can display PCM calculated egt. Does this mean I can get away with not drilling into the exhaust and mounting a sensor?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot

Those numbers are on the original stock sticks with all those miles on the clock. My signature has the details of my mods, but the injectors and turbo were installed last weekend. Single-shots can give me even more economy with my driving style, but I have yet to drive it for any real distance to get confirming numbers. I have a big trip planned this weekend, so I will have data very soon. I can tell you my overhead meter was giving me crazy-high economy numbers for the 70 miles I have driven it. The overhead used to be within 1 MPG of hand-calculated (after Hutch mod), but I no longer know how accurate it is with this hardware.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Awesome. I'll be standing by for your mileage report after the weekend. You probably are getting better mileage, but my chip made my lie-o-meter about 3mpg optimistic. It was dead on before. So Hand calculate your numbers before having confidence in the lie I meter. Honestly it's the mileage and longevity potential that makes me want the stage 1s. I wouldn't spring full price for then if i didn't need injectors, but I need injectors, so I feel like its worth the little extra money.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Jason-Great knowledge you just dropped on me. Thanks! That scanguage looks perfect! Im pretty sold on stag 1s but i am still worried about my original factory tranny s little. it has never skipped a beat though and im thinking with my very easy driving style it will hold up to the injectors and tuner using some common sense. I do have a question about it though. It says it can display PCM calculated egt. Does this mean I can get away with not drilling into the exhaust and mounting a sensor?
Tuning will have a lot to do with transmission longevity. BTS recommends stock PMT2 trans logic IIRC. Some tooners like to jack with line pressure and shift points, I can tell you from experience this is a bad idea. Your trans should shift as smooth as stock with all the power you wanna throw at it. Avoiding WOT shifts and only stepping on the loud pedal hard when TC is locked up will go a long way toward making it last. A 6.0 trans cooler is also a really good idea if ya tow or live in the mountains - heat kills.

I dunno how the PCM could accurately predict EGT. Get the sender and you'll know exactly what's going on. Drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold is a piece of cake. Don't get overly stressed about metal shavings, etc - drill the hole, tap it a little at a time checking the fitting until you get a good depth (don't tap it too deep - ya don't want the fitting to 'bottom out', but you want good thread engagement). Then vacuum the hole and run a bent nail on a magnet around inside the hole if ya want. A few tiny filings are not gonna hurt anything and will quickly be blown thru the turbo's exhaust wheel as soon as ya start the truck.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Tugly where are those mileage numbers?!?!?! The anticipation is killing me!

Quick Reply: Stage 1s or Stock Injectors?