Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck ran fine now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Tim, if the tach does not move, or bounce, or float around 200rpm while cranking... it is a sign the cps is not functioning.

Xtof
crazy! Mine fires up, the way it should, (knock on wood), and i have the black CPS.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Al, whats the significant for this? Is this something that we want to see happening or not? I look everytime when cranking the motor and both, my dummy gauge and pillar gauge doesnt budge at all
Depending on year model, the tach should begin a little showing a possible good cps, as Christopher said. It is not a tell all end all, but is a good way to quick check on pre 02 rigs without diagnostic software to view RPM signal.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another update

So went to work on my truck again today now that I have a nut that fit on the IPR. Advanced Autoparts sells a 29mm impact socket that fits perfectly of the IPR and you can still get the racket on the end. Anyways, removed IPR cleaned it up, put it back together, crossed my fingers and turned the key. No luck, same thing. Just keeps turning over. Any other ideas as what to check.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you pull it apart?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Pro DIY
So went to work on my truck again today now that I have a nut that fit on the IPR. Advanced Autoparts sells a 29mm impact socket that fits perfectly of the IPR and you can still get the racket on the end. Anyways, removed IPR cleaned it up, put it back together, crossed my fingers and turned the key. No luck, same thing. Just keeps turning over. Any other ideas as what to check.

Have you confirmed that you have around 10.5 volts while cranking? Is there any smoke out the exhaust while cranking? Is the fuel bowl full? Is the HPOP reservoir full? Does your WTS light come on every time? Do you have an SES light at any time? Have you inspected the IPR plug and wiring? Have you inspected the main harness that feeds the engine harness at the driver's side valve cover? Do you have any way to scan for live data such as ICP, RPM, Voltage etc.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also like to know if you completely took the IPR apart and cleaned everything and then put it back together?
If you did a complete take apart and put back together then I would get a meter and monitor your voltage when starting the truck. Monitor the voltage when the Glow Plugs turn on and also monitor voltage when cranking the engine.
How many RPM are you showing when cranking?
I do not want to recommend the CPS(OEM) until I have the information above.
If you measure the voltage from inside the truck then we will know what the voltage is at the PCM.
Dwayne

Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
I posted the video on it, the cps. Bets?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another note. You said that you got a IPR nut from the parts store. Was the coil completely off of the IPR or was it still on the stem?
Dwayne

Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by Christof13T
Did you pull it apart?
Took it all apart, cleaned all parts of it, didn't lose the tiny needle, reassembled, and put back in engine.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Have you confirmed that you have around 10.5 volts while cranking? Is there any smoke out the exhaust while cranking? Is the fuel bowl full? Is the HPOP reservoir full? Does your WTS light come on every time? Do you have an SES light at any time? Have you inspected the IPR plug and wiring? Have you inspected the main harness that feeds the engine harness at the driver's side valve cover? Do you have any way to scan for live data such as ICP, RPM, Voltage etc.
we did check the volt while cranking and they dropped down into the 9's. Tried jumping it with my wifes expy. Not sure of the volts while jumping it. There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust while cranking. The fuel bowl is full. Didn't check the HPOP reservoir to see if it is full. SES light is not on. IPR plug and wire looked fine. didn't check harness on vavle cover. No way to scan.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

we did check the volt while cranking and they dropped down into the 9's. Tried jumping it with my wifes expy. Not sure of the volts while jumping it. There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust while cranking. The fuel bowl is full. Didn't check the HPOP reservoir to see if it is full. SES light is not on. IPR plug and wire looked fine. didn't check harness on vavle cover. No way to scan.
9 volts and no smoke sounds like the injectors are not firing. How old are your batteries? Are the cables clean?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1fixitman
I would also like to know if you completely took the IPR apart and cleaned everything and then put it back together?
If you did a complete take apart and put back together then I would get a meter and monitor your voltage when starting the truck. Monitor the voltage when the Glow Plugs turn on and also monitor voltage when cranking the engine.
How many RPM are you showing when cranking?
I do not want to recommend the CPS(OEM) until I have the information above.
If you measure the voltage from inside the truck then we will know what the voltage is at the PCM.
Dwayne
completely took IPR apart and clean and put back together. I would have to say that the tach is reading about 150 to 200 RPM's while cranking. What would I use to monitor all of the different voltages from inside the truck?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
9 volts and no smoke sounds like the injectors are not firing. How old are your batteries? Are the cables clean?
The batteries are a little over a year, maybe year and a half. Cables and battery terminals are clean

Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1fixitman
Another note. You said that you got a IPR nut from the parts store. Was the coil completely off of the IPR or was it still on the stem?
Dwayne
Sorry, I miss typed. I meant to say that I got a socket from the parts store not the nut. The nut was there and coil was on the stem

Quick Reply: Truck ran fine now won't start