Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG Rugged Terrain T/A 285/75/16E on stock rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG Rugged Terrain T/A 285/75/16E on stock rims?

I am looking at the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A in a 285 E rated for my stock rims. I am concerned about sway/cornering issues with the bigger tires? I know a lot of you are running them, what is your experience? Specifically for the new BFG Rugged Terrain T/A if you have them? I have another tire thread but I wanted to address this specific issue. Just want to make sure there isn't too much of an issue, especially with the weight of the Ex. Now re-thinking stock size? Also, how hard is it to get a shop to mount them? Is is more the chain stores that won't? I have a local tire shop nearby, think they would have an issue. I can't call now, maybe tomorrow.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
As long as they're properly inflated, you shouldn't have a problem with any type of wandering, with the exception of saggy springs of course.

Shops like Discount Tire Co, NTB, and a few others usually don't have a problem mounting up larger tires. The only time I ran into a shop arguing with over mounting larger tires was Sams club. The even went so far as to agrue that I didn't need load range "E" tires and that they can only inflate to what's on the door and not what's on the tire.

Needless to say, they don't get my business anymore...

Head to a major chain like Discount tire they usually don't argue with you. I would also recommend the All-Terrains over the Rugged Trails as the Rugged Trails strike me as more of an "on-road, light off-road" tire.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
fishintheobx
Senior User
NTB did my 285 Michelins...no questions asked. Free rotation is never an issue either.

I'd suggest checking out the Tire Industry Association to see if your dealer is listed. They are the education and training arm of the tire industry. My bother in-law is an engineer with them. And it's amazing how many tires I've had put (or repaired) on cars that he finds a problem with the method or something they've done to void the tire warranty.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problems with mine: mounting, towing, wander, or anything. Have almost 30k on them and they still look great!

Edit: just realized you were looking at the rugged terrain. I have the all terrain.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by gr8scott72
No problems with mine: mounting, towing, wander, or anything. Have almost 30k on them and they still look great!

I see you have the BFG KOs, how are they on noise, ride etc.? I was looking at those but I think the regular T/As may be the best for me, mostly highway/pavement driving. The T/As have good reviews for snow, wet & dry pavement. Just don't know that I need a tread as aggressive as the KO. These are the tires I'm considering right now, but I have gone back & forth. I think they are a good compromise between function and looks.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hink10
I see you have the BFG KOs, how are they on noise, ride etc.? I was looking at those but I think the regular ATs may be the best for me, mostly highway/pavement driving. The ATs have good reviews for snow, wet & dry pavement. Just don't know that I need a tread as aggressive as the KO. These are the tires I'm considering right now, but I have gone back & forth. I think they are a good compromise between function and looks.
Thanks,
Steve
Looks won out for me when I bought these. Ride is as good as the Yoko highway tires they replaced and noise is only slightly more.

In my opinion, there isn't a better looking all terrain tire made.

Sure was nice being able to load the family up and drive thru the lower part of the Bonnet Carrie spillway even after it had rained the whole day before and not worry about getting stuck.

Bonnet Carré Spillway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Scott! Now your making my decision harder! I still don't think I need such an aggressive tire but they do look good. Just got my V/B codes and exhaust delivered today, shocks on the way. I want to get the tires ordered soon. The rest of you guys need to help me out! If you haven't noticed, decision making isn't my strong suit! Thing is, the Ex I just bought has brand new tires but they are General Grabbers and I'm not a big fan. I want to be sure I'm making the right decision as I already have new tires. Plan to sell the Generals. HELP!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Thanks Scott! Now your making my decision harder! I still don't think I need such an aggressive tire but they do look good. Just got my V/B codes and exhaust delivered today, shocks on the way. I want to get the tires ordered soon. The rest of you guys need to help me out! If you haven't noticed, decision making isn't my strong suit! Thing is, the Ex I just bought has brand new tires but they are General Grabbers and I'm not a big fan. I want to be sure I'm making the right decision as I already have new tires. Plan to sell the Generals. HELP!
Steve, of have one on your area, Discount Tire co will be happy to take them back based on how much tread is left in favor of the new ones. You end up getting credit back to apply towards some new BFG all-terrains I'm sure they have in stock.

For me the decision wasn't hard, I tried one set of BFG All-Terrains August 2007 and now I'm about to buy my 6th set!

The have great on-road manners and WILL NOT let you down on or off road, wet or dry weather, sand or mud, BFG all-terrains have never let me down and were confident with whatever they were subjected to.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Steve, of have one on your area, Discount Tire co will be happy to take them back based on how much tread is left in favor of the new ones. You end up getting credit back to apply towards some new BFG all-terrains I'm sure they have in stock.

For me the decision wasn't hard, I tried one set of BFG All-Terrains August 2007 and now I'm about to buy my 6th set!

The have great on-road manners and WILL NOT let you down on or off road, wet or dry weather, sand or mud, BFG all-terrains have never let me down and were confident with whatever they were subjected to.
That's the way I'm leaning, look like a good road tire and fairly capable off road if needed. Unfortunately no Discount Tire in my area. Thinking about ordering online from Tire Buyer, pretty good prices with free shipping. Now I'm thinking about new wheels too! I just keep getting in deeper! Thanks!
Steve

Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM
coolray
Cross-Country
I have 285/75/16 BFG All Terrains with no issues. I have had these tires on other vehicles and they have performed great. The only down side is the price, but you pay for what you get. I would like to go bigger with a 16 x 8 wheel but im not sure if they will fit without a lift.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
That's the way I'm leaning, look like a good road tire and fairly capable off road if needed. Unfortunately no Discount Tire in my area. Thinking about ordering online from Tire Buyer, pretty good prices with free shipping. Now I'm thinking about new wheels too! I just keep getting in deeper! Thanks!
Steve
In my experience I've found that the factory mags work best as far as keeping things aligned and avoiding the suspension, towing, front end issues you sometimes face with bigger rims. I thought about getting the OEM 2008-2010 20s on mine, but the higher cost of tires shy'd me away from that.

Tires are also cheaper and easier to find if you're in a bind and need a tire.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I just replaced my MT Baja ATZ's with the BFG Rugged Terrains - on stock rims. I'm extremely pleased with their overall performance - quiet, handle rain very well and ride much smoother than the ATZs. I haven't had mine in the sand yet but several customers have and say great things about them. My BFG rep says light off road is all they are really designed for and for anything else go with a true AT tire. I like the look of the Rugged Terrains and will try to get some pictures if it will just stop raining around here!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im towing a 9200lb 35 foot travel trailer with mu X. I have the same size and load rating but in a BFG all terrain. It has no sway and it handles great.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 AM
coolray
Cross-Country
Ever hear of somebody trying 315/75/16's without a lift?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
I've already posted this reply on other threads I started but thought I should follow up here too.

Okay, I decided... I was going to go back to Silent Armours and was calling around for prices. Was getting about $1350 OTD from everyone for 285s. The last shop I called was a locally owned shop in a small town. He gave me a pretty good price on the SAs then asked if I had looked at the Mickey Thompson Baja STZ or ATZ. He said they were about $50 less per tire ($240 or so mounted). He said that's all they run on all of their shop trucks now. Anyway, I did some research and the more aggressive ATZ didn't come in a 285/75/16E, only D rated. The STZ looks to be a new tire, last year I think but from the little I found, they are supposed to be quiet and very good all weather traction. They look to have good siping.

The guy at the shop said they have a 30 day trial policy. If I don't like them, I can order the SAs or whatever and just pay the difference. They are a good reputable local shop that serve many in the farming community. Anyway, I will be getting them tomorrow. I've spent way too much time on this decision so glad to have it done. I will follow-up with my impressions of the performance. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice! Stock pics below, I will post pics on the Ex when I get them.

Steve

Quick Reply: BFG Rugged Terrain T/A 285/75/16E on stock rims?