1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

4X4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Signing on. This has me wondering. Could it be a broken axle? Or the spline slipping in the deff? A bad hub does make the most sense with what information we have without seeing it at this point. Maybe remove and inspect the hubs? Was it doing this BEFORE ya replaced the U joints? Maybe the hub is together wrong.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 PM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashclash
did you put it all back together correctly? did it act normal for a while after you fixed it and then go bad?
Yes and yes. It acted normal for a month before it started popping.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 PM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Signing on. This has me wondering. Could it be a broken axle? Or the spline slipping in the deff? A bad hub does make the most sense with what information we have without seeing it at this point. Maybe remove and inspect the hubs? Was it doing this BEFORE ya replaced the U joints? Maybe the hub is together wrong.
No before I replaced the slip yolk male and female ends and U-joints all it was doing was slipping in the yolk itself and that thing was bad. Smooth as a babies bottom with not a single spline left on either end.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 AM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
Now it could be slipping inside the diff but outside of it seems solid as a rock.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 AM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
One other thing I noticed today when driving it to work. When I am in two wheel drive and take a sharp turn I can hear whats sounds like a tinkling bell coming out of the front end. I think I am about to just start buying bearing, u-joints and new guts for the diff . Just change it all out that way I have covered everything except the hubs.Then I will really know whats going on if it keeps doing it after that.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BAMAFAN2169
One other thing I noticed today when driving it to work. When I am in two wheel drive and take a sharp turn I can hear whats sounds like a tinkling bell coming out of the front end. I think I am about to just start buying bearing, u-joints and new guts for the diff . Just change it all out that way I have covered everything except the hubs.Then I will really know whats going on if it keeps doing it after that.
Nothing in the diff should be turning when you're in 2wd. Did you say you have manual hubs?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Originally Posted by BAMAFAN2169
It does it whenever the transfer case is in 4X4 whether the hubs are locked or not.
WAIT A MINUTE! Did everyone miss this? He's not even in 4x4 if his hubs are not locked in and it still does it. His transfer case is in 4x4 mode, and the front components are just free wheeling with no strain on them at all.

In this mode if the truck is shaking and making very loud noises, it would have to be something with the rear driveline or the transfer case.

If it was something in the frontend, since those parts are turning, it would be gentle knocking or clicking, since they are doing nothing but just free-wheeling.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
WAIT A MINUTE! Did everyone miss this? He's not even in 4x4 if his hubs are not locked in and it still does it. His transfer case is in 4x4 mode, and the front components are just free wheeling with no strain on them at all.

In this mode if the truck is shaking and making very loud noises, it would have to be something with the rear driveline or the transfer case.

If it was something in the frontend, since those parts are turning, it would be gentle knocking or clicking, since they are doing nothing but just free-wheeling.
If what your saying is that my transfer case is screwed I'm about to cry. I can change it out but it's gonna be a while before I can afford to purchase another one. That means that I may lose my daily driver and I don't have a backup vehicle since my ranger was totaled in June.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 AM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
Originally Posted by bashby
Nothing in the diff should be turning when you're in 2wd. Did you say you have manual hubs?
Yeah I have manual hubs.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Nope, didn't miss it, that's why I suggested a closer examination on jack stands.
If he's in 4WD with the hubs unlocked, everything in the front end is turning, at far as the locking hubs, even though the parts aren't under load. If something is hitting, or there's a bad u-joint, it would still make the noise.

The fact that it's only when he turns points to the front end as that has the most parts to cause a problem. The other alternative is the rear diff because it's components are rotating at different speeds relative to each other when turning, as opposed to moving in a straight line.

The axles and front wheels are the only components that operate differently going straight vs turning.

If examining the front end comes up empty, I'd put the rear on jack stands and rotate one wheel by hand, then the other, to get some internal diff relative movement.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow!! This is getting complicated. I wish I was there to lay hands on it. Are you sure the hubs are coming unlocked completely??

Have you jacked it up and blocked it and rotated the wheels and shafts with it in and out of 4X4 as yet? Is there oil in all three boxes?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Wow!! This is getting complicated. I wish I was there to lay hands on it. Are you sure the hubs are coming unlocked completely??

Have you jacked it up and blocked it and rotated the wheels and shafts with it in and out of 4X4 as yet? Is there oil in all three boxes?
I know. Try having it in front of you and knowing that if you had more knowledge on the drive train that you could diagnose it and fix it no problem. I have the skill set to change things out and replace it but diagnosing issues is a weak point for me unless I have handled something like it before. Thus why I am seeking advice from people here, who have a whole lot more knowledge on the problems that can and have occurred than I do. and yes I am sucking up cause I really do need help.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM
BAMAFAN2169
Junior User
Originally Posted by Rovernut
Nope, didn't miss it, that's why I suggested a closer examination on jack stands.
If he's in 4WD with the hubs unlocked, everything in the front end is turning, at far as the locking hubs, even though the parts aren't under load. If something is hitting, or there's a bad u-joint, it would still make the noise.

The fact that it's only when he turns points to the front end as that has the most parts to cause a problem. The other alternative is the rear diff because it's components are rotating at different speeds relative to each other when turning, as opposed to moving in a straight line.

The axles and front wheels are the only components that operate differently going straight vs turning.

If examining the front end comes up empty, I'd put the rear on jack stands and rotate one wheel by hand, then the other, to get some internal diff relative movement.
I plan on doing that ASAP but ASAP will be Thursday at the earliest due to issues at work which are taking away the only time I have to work on the truck today and tomorrow. Which really blows but the trucks lasted for the past few weeks doing this so hopefully it'll last a bit longer till I can find the issue.