1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody in California own a truck over 11,500GVRW? The ARB and DOT regulations are confusing.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anybody in California own a truck over 11,500GVRW? The ARB and DOT regulations are confusing.

It appears that any vehicle over 11,500GVRW will require a CA# and a MCP AND you have to stop at the truck scales! I know that the signs say NO PICKUPS, but, but definition, a vehicle over 11,500GVRW is no longer considered a pickup Would love to hear from anybody who has a truck over 11,500# When you get a MCP, you also have to carry a higher insurance plan, additionally you are now classified as commercial??

There's also something posted by the ARB about bringing pre-2010 motors into diesel compliance??
edit: Spoke to CA ARB today, pre 2010 diesel motors will be required to be REPLACED to a 2010 or newer motor, by a certain date. That date depends on the year of your vehicle. I have been poking at 2008-09 trucks, and according to the ARB, by 2020-something the entire motor will need to be replaced.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just wanted to comment that the motor replacing deal sounds ridiculous

Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Is that only applicable to commercial trucks? I don't see why if you have an F250 diesel before 2010 you'll need to upgrade the engine? You're only towing an RV?

Old 09-28-2012, 03:42 PM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by jh818
Is that only applicable to commercial trucks? I don't see why if you have an F250 diesel before 2010 you'll need to upgrade the engine? You're only towing an RV?
Yes, it's only applicable to commercial trucks; but keep in mind "commercial" is defined by the GVRW.

The section on bringing the diesel motor into compliance with 2010 standards, is ONLY for vehicles > 14500 GVRW; so the F450. F450 is not subject to emissions on CA; the F250 and F350 (both SRW and DRW) are. So, it's kind of a catch 22.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Fordflanigan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
gotta love this great state of ours... I wonder why so many jobs/ companies are leaving?
As far as the motor replacement goes,I always thought it was for semi trucks only that were 1994 -2010, and 1993 and down are no longer allowed.

Ive heard so many different things about laws regarding trucks. Ive been told by three people that If you hook up a trailer to a 1 ton and up, you have to have a class A, but without a trailer you are fine, regardless of trailer length and weight. Idk how that works with all the fifth wheel trailers runnin around. I was also told chowchilla area chp enforces this while fresno area chp doesnt? who knows, i dont believe it, Ive never been able to find that law online but my friend and his workers dodge the scales in there f550's to avoid it true or not.

Point being, there are so many laws and restrictions that it is impossible to follow and just as hard to regulate.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Neil
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ngng
It appears that any vehicle over 11,500GVRW will require a CA# and a MCP AND you have to stop at the truck scales! I know that the signs say NO PICKUPS, but, but definition, a vehicle over 11,500GVRW is no longer considered a pickup Would love to hear from anybody who has a truck over 11,500# When you get a MCP, you also have to carry a higher insurance plan, additionally you are now classified as commercial??

There's also something posted by the ARB about bringing pre-2010 motors into diesel compliance??
edit: Spoke to CA ARB today, pre 2010 diesel motors will be required to be REPLACED to a 2010 or newer motor, by a certain date. That date depends on the year of your vehicle. I have been poking at 2008-09 trucks, and according to the ARB, by 2020-something the entire motor will need to be replaced.
What do you need to know about the MCP? I deal with that subject at work every day. Also don't confuse the vehicle code definition of a "pickup" with the information that CARB has posted about GVWR's.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Neil
Tuned
Originally Posted by Fordflanigan
gotta love this great state of ours... I wonder why so many jobs/ companies are leaving?
As far as the motor replacement goes,I always thought it was for semi trucks only that were 1994 -2010, and 1993 and down are no longer allowed.

Ive heard so many different things about laws regarding trucks. Ive been told by three people that If you hook up a trailer to a 1 ton and up, you have to have a class A, but without a trailer you are fine, regardless of trailer length and weight. Idk how that works with all the fifth wheel trailers runnin around. I was also told chowchilla area chp enforces this while fresno area chp doesnt? who knows, i dont believe it, Ive never been able to find that law online but my friend and his workers dodge the scales in there f550's to avoid it true or not.

Point being, there are so many laws and restrictions that it is impossible to follow and just as hard to regulate.
If you need additional info, PM me and I'll give you my office number or provide you with the number to your local CHP Motor Carrier Safety Unit and we can answer your questions.

There are some drivers license requirement exemptions for folks towing large travel trailers & 5th wheel travel trailers.

You'll find the info under VC 12804.9
CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE

Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 PM
ngng
Elder User
Originally Posted by Neil
What do you need to know about the MCP? I deal with that subject at work every day. Also don't confuse the vehicle code definition of a "pickup" with the information that CARB has posted about GVWR's.
If I do indeed need to get a MCP for a DRW pickup cab F350/F450 over 11500 GVRW. Also, if you can confirm whether we do indeed need to stop in truck scales. Yeah, I'm not confused about the differentiation between the two. IT was two separate thoughts. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 PM
ngng
Elder User

It's not semi trucks; it's diesel trucks over that 14500 GVRW, so the F450 with or without a pickup bed would fall into this category. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Neil
Tuned
If I do indeed need to get a MCP for a DRW pickup cab F350/F450 over 11500 GVRW. Also, if you can confirm whether we do indeed need to stop in truck scales. Yeah, I'm not confused about the differentiation between the two. IT was two separate thoughts. Thanks!
If the GVWR of your "pickup" is 11500, it is no longer a "pickup" and you are required to stop at the scales. If your vehicle no longer meets the definition of a "pickup" you do need the CA number and the Motor Carrier Permit. You are also required to maintain hours of service (log books or time cards if you meet the 100 air mile exemption).

Here's the VC definition of a "pickup"
471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross
vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight
of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open
box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not
include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that
is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly
called a "utility body."

Had a guy stop by a few days ago with his brand new F350 crew cab diesel (single rear wheels) and he missed the definition by 1 pound. His GVWR was 11500. Had Ford stamped it 11499 he would have been OK.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Neil
Tuned
It's not semi trucks; it's diesel trucks over that 14500 GVRW, so the F450 with or without a pickup bed would fall into this category. Please, correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Fordflanigan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are some drivers license requirement exemptions for folks towing large travel trailers & 5th wheel travel trailers.

You'll find the info under VC 12804.9
CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
This is exactly what I was looking for, I couldn't find it through the dmv. Thank you for the link, but especially, thank you for telling me where to look, it would have taken me years to find those paragraphs lol!
Ill be passing this on to my buddy to read through.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Neil
Tuned
This is exactly what I was looking for, I couldn't find it through the dmv. Thank you for the link, but especially, thank you for telling me where to look, it would have taken me years to find those paragraphs lol!
Ill be passing this on to my buddy to read through.
Happy to help out.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:53 PM
ngng
Elder User
Had a guy stop by a few days ago with his brand new F350 crew cab diesel (single rear wheels) and he missed the definition by 1 pound. His GVWR was 11500. Had Ford stamped it 11499 he would have been OK.
Yikes. I confirmed that the GVRW of the F350 SRW crew cab I was looking at is also 11500 GVRW. What a pain. I went from looking at F450s to F350s. Might just keep the 7.3 and not buy anything at all. Good job California!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Neil
Tuned
Yikes. I confirmed that the GVRW of the F350 SRW crew cab I was looking at is also 11500 GVRW. What a pain. I went from looking at F450s to F350s. Might just keep the 7.3 and not buy anything at all. Good job California!
And thats just one of the many reasons so many folks (including myself) have either left or are planning on leaving the Golden State .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody in California own a truck over 11,500GVRW? The ARB and DOT regulations are confusing.